Rooted Hair: Future of the Hobby?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you're loss then. no doubt rooted hair will look more realistic than sculpt when done right.

Exactly. Besides, at my age, I'm secure enough in my own masculinity that I don't really give a rat's hairy butt what people think of my collection. And if you think people (outside of this arena) don't already think you're a dork and a loser for collecting dolls in the first place, you are sadly misinformed. Bring on the rooted hair!

After last chewbacca with real hair, I am see bright side of rooted hair. I personally think its depend with characters. BTTF Doc maybe suitable for rotted hair, sculpted hear on doc will looks goofy I think. Without exceptional heath Ledger always looks better on rotted hair than sculpt even its just shoddy custom job.

No thanks. Even aside from the Ken doll comparisons, serious production problems, and weird look most of the time ... who wants to spend time hair-styling a toy? I've got better things to do than give a toy a makeover everytime I have to dust a shelf.

I don't even care if its slightly better (which I'm not convinced it would be), its not worth the trouble. I don't need high-maintenance collectibles.

SnakeDoc

It's a scale thing. A human hair is about .003-.005 diameter. How do you take that and shrink it to 1/6th scale? Molded hair gives the appearance of hair as it would be seen at 1/6th scale.

What I would like to see though is a seamless muscle body where the muscles have give to them and would compress into each other for a more natural look.

Enterbays behind the scenes god Bruce lee figure had this.the biscep muscles compressed and flexed like a real muscle when you bent the arms.they used a terrible rubber?most of them had issues but the gimmick was pretty cool,I hope they do it again

Enterbays behind the scenes god Bruce lee figure had this.the biscep muscles compressed and flexed like a real muscle when you bent the arms.they used a terrible rubber?most of them had issues but the gimmick was pretty cool,I hope they do it again
You mean like this? The idea was there before (ah the childhood memories...)! :lol
b6b881ee622c94421b81a2157be64454.jpg

Chewbacca has changed the game for this. I'd love to know how HT is planning on mass producing this figure and as soon as that technique is more widely known and can be reproduced by other factories I think we'll be seeing more of it. The head of ACI has said real hair is the future and I know of other 1/6 companies that are very committed to making it work. Personally I think something like Aragorn kind of works sculpted, but Legolas doesn't. Real hair beards is the next thing - definitely a huge plus for a wizard or a dwarf.

No rooted hair is not nor ever will be the future. Even Elvis' stuff looked better with sculpted hair.

Female figures always look like Barbies and male figures like .............

I like seeing experiments and I appreciate the work that goes into them....but the work that goes into a sculpted mane is always more impressive.

You can close the thread now. Until Elvis punches me.

Last edited by a moderator:
No rooted hair is not nor ever will be the future. Even Elvis' stuff looked better with sculpted hair.

Female figures always look like Barbies and male figures like Trannies.

I like seeing experiments and I appreciate the work that goes into them....but the work that goes into a sculpted mane is always more impressive.

You can close the thread now. Until Elvis punches me.

Depends whether you want to make the figure look realistic like a real person or artistic like a statue, most Elvis works involves cartoon/game characters, so sculpted hair would look better & gives a statue like look.

I can't imagine how sculpted hair on Captain Sparrow would look better than rooted, there's a few movie character customs that has rooted hair and they look better than sculpted ones. It's all about skills & the character based on.

Chewie came out great but he's covered head to toe in fur/hair, so I'm not sure that's a good example to use here backing the use of rooted hair. Though, I'm assuming we're all talking about using rooted hair mainly on human portraits/sculpts going forward.

Not sure how anyone can think that 'realistic hair' is NOT the future -- rooted or not. It's one of the few things left to master in this miniaturized hobby. The new Terminator T1 BD suffers greatly in his damaged sculpt from a hairline that is cut like a plastic wall. Looks ridiculous when everything else down to the zipper teeth are getting tinier and more exact all the time.

Real glass eyes are the future too.

I’m all for rooted hair, but only on characters that need it (characters with long hair), figures with short hair should remain sculpted, but I have seen a few decent customized Bruce Lee figures with rooted hair that looked pretty awesome too. If its done right it certainly works though.

Rooted hair is for dolls and girls....someone had to say it.

Fabric clothing is for dolls and girls too.

gi-joe-christmas-2.jpg

You were saying? :lol

I don't think rooted hair will become the norm for these collectibles for a very long time. I think Premium Formats should implement the skin textures that Hot Toys has mastered, the realistic paint apps, rooted hair, and glass eyes for all of their pieces. Now that would be impressive. At the moment they look like upscaled 1/6 figures with their joints super glued into position. I don't view them as the museum quality pieces that they're advertised as. The things I mentioned would push them over the edge into a whole new level of realism.

Back