RIP Prince

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most docs are making it harder to get opiods. Which is a good thing but also a bad thing. I am someone who has an insane tolerance to prescription drugs to the point I rarely bother taking them as they have no effect and only the stronger opiods work for me which I know is dangerous but take very little and only enough to be somewhat comfortable and normally only to sleep. But the idea of not being able to get those when I need them is scary.

Damn, that is scary.

I think it might be different here on the East Coast. Opiods are a HUGE problem here, because the doctors haven't really cracked down.

Still pretty devastated about Prince being gone. I've seen him more times over the years than any other artist. When he opened his club in London a few years ago my wife and I went every few days. Met him a couple of times. Very funny guy. What a loss.

Damn, that is scary.

I think it might be different here on the East Coast. Opiods are a HUGE problem here, because the doctors haven't really cracked down.
Yeah I have had more than one bad medical situation due to my bodies high tolerance to meds. I am scared to death of needing a major surgery.
It's a VERY recent change. It's new recommendations being made to all doctors, it will slowly take effect and even then I have found most are getting them illegally not legally.

I disagree. You open that door, then nobody ever has responsibility or credit for faulty behavior. Drs don't force people to take them (unless inpatient). People need to be held responsible for their actions, as sad and devastating as that may be

Couldn't disagree with that more. People who trip down that slippery slope are obviously out of control. It's up to the qualified authorities to administer opioids to only those who truly need them, and know how much to give on a case by case basis. There should be a strict system in place that stops people from double, triple and quadruple dipping by going to different docs for scripts. Doctors who "help" patients out beyond what's necessary are guilty

Yeah I have had more than one bad medical situation due to my bodies high tolerance to meds. I am scared to death of needing a major surgery.
It's a VERY recent change. It's new recommendations being made to all doctors, it will slowly take effect and even then I have found most are getting them illegally not legally.

Do they have trouble knocking you out for surgery? They do me. Last time I had to laugh because the anesthesiologist made me sit up then lie back down on the operating table several times. I worry one day I'll be one of those people who are awake during surgery and feel everything but can't say anything.

I have a high tolerance for pain. A lot of my dental work was done without anything. My knee surgery I was written a script for pain but just used Advil and a ice water circulating thingy. Now mental pain I have a hard time with. :(

Do they have trouble knocking you out for surgery? They do me. Last time I had to laugh because the anesthesiologist made me sit up then lie back down on the operating table several times. I worry one day I'll be one of those people who are awake during surgery and feel everything but can't say anything.

I have a high tolerance for pain. A lot of my dental work was done without anything. My knee surgery I was written a script for pain but just used Advil and a ice water circulating thingy. Now mental pain I have a hard time with. :(
I have never had surgery. I refused it in my knee for that reason. When I dislocated my shoulder I was given the max dosage of dilaudid and it did nothing. They finally had to "sedate" me but I was completely aware but it dulled pain enough to allow them to reset it. At the dentist I normally end up with max dosage for very little work. I did feel everything when I had lasic and caused temporary complications.

I have never had surgery. I refused it in my knee for that reason. When I dislocated my shoulder I was given the max dosage of dilaudid and it did nothing. They finally had to "sedate" me but I was completely aware but it dulled pain enough to allow them to reset it. At the dentist I normally end up with max dosage for very little work. I did feel everything when I had lasic and caused temporary complications.

You have some kind of unwanted Superpower. :horror

I will say this... I can understand how much that might suck. I got Meningitis about 14 years ago. Obviously, it was AWFUL. But what's worse is that neither Demerol or an epidural dulled the pain of the migraine AT ALL. So I can only imagine how much it would suck for that to be the norm instead of the exception.

Man, I feel for you and hope you don't have to deal with needing painkillers again. :(

I wonder if it has something to do with your blood brain barrier. It works TOO good.

You have some kind of unwanted Superpower. :horror

I will say this... I can understand how much that might suck. I got Meningitis about 14 years ago. Obviously, it was AWFUL. But what's worse is that neither Demerol or an epidural dulled the pain of the migraine AT ALL. So I can only imagine how much it would suck for that to be the norm instead of the exception.

Man, I feel for you and hope you don't have to deal with needing painkillers again. :(
Yeah i am use to it. I try my best to make sure any doctor I deal with is very aware of it. Sadly they all assume I am a former addict as its not uncommon for addicts to have that issue.

I wonder if it has something to do with your blood brain barrier. It works TOO good.
One doctor said that I am able to metabolize it so fast that the effect never really kicks in.

Couldn't disagree with that more. People who trip down that slippery slope are obviously out of control. It's up to the qualified authorities to administer opioids to only those who truly need them, and know how much to give on a case by case basis. There should be a strict system in place that stops people from double, triple and quadruple dipping by going to different docs for scripts. Doctors who "help" patients out beyond what's necessary are guilty

Doctors and emergency rooms have been strict for years in this area. A problem still developed. When they started withholding, heroin usage skyrocketed. Now there are people who need opiates for pain and have trouble getting it because no doctors want to be liable for new addicts.

Fentanyl and the products to produce it are a real problem in my area. People can legally ship some of the compounds/ingredients to make these drugs, pill presses etc without penalty. These loopholes need to be closed. Street-level/ casual drug users are dropping like flies out here.

My supervisor's daughter spent awhile in a rehab center in Cleveland after getting hooked on heroin that she turned to after her doctor cut her off from her pain pills.

im with you PCK in that there should be more regulation for each patient getting denied pills. I just think it's a little naïve to think doctors have that much control over the problem. Being a professional in the health field, I know there are some issues with psychiatry and other sorts of medication prescription but it's dangerous to blame doctors for the problem. Thats like blaming knife manufacturers for their product being used to inflict self harm. People will still find ways to abuse things.

Back