Remember the skulls you could buy?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soapy Smith

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Anyone remember the plaster skulls you could buy in the Magic Shop and at the outdoor pavilion in front of the Jungle Cruise?

Those were made by Randotti Products, as in Randy and Dotti Smith, my parents. I worked for Randotti most of my life growing up. I managed the company and then became owner when my father passed away. The company began when Disney opened in 1958, and we remained one of a handful of companies who dealt with Disney since day one. In the mid 1990s a corrupt Disney buyer and government regulations put an end to the company.

Oh, the stories I can tell...

Number one: In the early 1970s my father getting contacted by the government because there were suspensions and fears that radioactive material was being stored at our manufacturing plant. Turns out, a neighbor noted the glow coming from inside our buildings after dark and called the police. The glow was our glow paint. Sometimes our rooms would be packed with freshly painted skulls and items, and the glow was so bright after the lights went out, that often times it was hard to tell the difference whether the lights were on or off. Even with all the doors shut after leaving, our employees had no trouble seeing outside during the darkest of days.

Here is an old site page I made years ago. soapysmith.net/page16.html

hm36drugs-are-bad-posters.jpg

Did this get moved to the Disney forum from somewhere else, or did the douchebaggery follow-up posts somehow find their way here?

I for one happen to find these sorts of stories great, and add a bit of flavour to a lot of the tchotchke's we walked past or wanted as kids.

Don't let the ********s run you off OP.

OP: That was kind of wierd, but I have decided that I like you.

Didnt see any mention on your site about what caused the company to close shop though. Is it there somewhere or just something you alluded to here?

I remember buying a plaster skull in an amusement park in the Bronx New York called "Freedomland" back in the sixties.

Did your family make the skulls for this east coast park as well?

Back