Re-working the Pozers

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wax murderer

Super Freak
Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to put this(Horror or Customs?)...
One of the Sideshow experiments that I was very excited about was the Pozers; thought it was a great concept that unfortunately went a little wrong in execution.Mainly, I hated the head-sculpts, to the point where I didn't pick up the Wolfman when it came out.I did get Frankie, but it wasn't long before I started contemplating changes,which I ,as a professional sculptor,was able to accomplish easily.Fast forward to Halloween 2013, when last minute work issues prevented my usual level of preparation. Thinking quickly,I grabbed lil'Frankie and set him up on the porch next to me while I handed out the goodies. This inspired 2 decisions...
1)Frankie was now officially a Halloween decoration, and...
2)he needed company.
A relatively short Ebay quest got me a Wolfie at slightly more than twice original retail.Now the real work began...
My main problem with the sculpts was that they just didn't have enough "Universal"in them(more like the Groovy Ghoulies,which I did enjoy...when I was 10). I also decided that I wanted their eyes to glow in the dark, which turned out to be fairly easy to accomplish,thanks to the huge variety of polymer clays on the market.
Sooo...the mods...
The original,unappreciated sculpt...

Clay"sketch"for the new eye sculpt;I had already reworked the brow and nose with Magic-Sculpt.

The new eyes;the "eyeballs" are phosphorescent Fimo,lids Magic-sculpt,hand painted...
My original plan was a complete re-sculpt of the head, but I now think he has enough Karloff in him to live with...
Unfortunately,Wolfie is another story,no Chaney here...

Step 1 was getting his clothes off,followed by...

HIS HEAD!...A full re-sculpt is in order here;the face and ears will be done in Sculpey,with the hair done with Magic-Sculpt over a styrofoam core(a wig mannequin,to be exact).If Wolfie works out half as good as I expect I may try to do a couple of original full pieces(Drac and the Mummy,maybe).The things I get myself into...PS

Started the Wolfie sculpt last night;so far, so good.Definitely got Chaney in it. I'll get a few pix...PS

Got a lot done this weekend...

The start of the face.Using a cut down styrofoam wig mannequin(Gahd what a mess!)I built up the features with my old stand-by, Super Sculpey...

Moving along;Seeing Chaney in the sculpt.

Magic Sculpt 2nd fangs;1st set were too much like the fangs from the original head(too big)...

Ears;sculpted separately on steel wire (coat hanger)loops.The fur will be done with Magic Sculpt,which will lock everything together and fill out the sides of the head(this is a charicature, after all).Since this is a "for-fun"project,the only deadline to finish is Halloween,which I should manage handily...PS

Here's where he stands at present;lot's done since the last post...

The sculpt,finished.Fur is Magic-Sculpt,original and colored(who knew?).I found the colored to be a little less sticky when mixing;not a bad thing at all...

Laying in the eyes.My inspiration for the eyes is a photo from"House of Frankenstein",which was later adapted into a "Famous Monsters" cover painting by the immortal Basil Golgos...

His current state.Eyes are finished but for sealing,skin base coated.The fur will be a darker brown(Floquil rail brown)with a lighter dry-brush(Foundation).Shading will be dry pigments.
I hope that someone around here actually finds this interesting;I certainly am...PS

I'm enjoying your progress on this project. :)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Where we stand as of 6/9...

A dark brown wash,sealed. Next comes a light dry brush on the fur and dry pigment blushing. Then he gets his clothes back...PS

Even a toy that is pure of heart...

All done but for the screaming(and a satin coat on the nails)...

I'm really happy with how this guy turned out.I truly believe that I've improved on what I always thought was a pretty clever product...

With his comrade,the one that started this project.Good height comparison and reasonably consistent styes to the sculpts...

And the original head,which is,I think,the main reason that the series didn't sell beyond the first 2 figures(of course,just try to get your hands on one for less than twice the original retail price).Kinda wish I could have pulled a mold off this guy...
If I can ever figure out how to get a picture that hi-lights the glowing eyes I'll definitely post it...PS

Last edited:
Halloween with the posers...

They were pretty effective,though things would have been better if I could have lit them(no outside outlet).Still haven't figured out how to photograph the eye glow.
Now,to decide who's next...PS

With Halloween approaching,I am thinking on doing some original Pozer type figures.Of the 3 remaining of the "Big 5",each presents it's own challenges;Drac has wardrobe issues,while the Creature is all sculptural.While Kharis would be the easiest from a technical stand-point,he is also(to me)the least interesting.With just under 2 months 'til the big day,I doubt that I can have a new one ready in time,since all 3 would be done from scratch.But the appeal is definitely there...PS

Well,I won't be able to fabricate a new Pozer by Halloween,but I can putter a bit with the ones that are finished>Specifically,Frankie's electrodes are being modded.The originals look like giant push-pins,so I've cut off the "heads" and am thinking on the best approach to changing them.Good close-ups of the original make-up show that only 1 actually had a "head"anyway,so I'm sorely tempted to emulate that.We shall see...PS

I'm glad someone does...Had a very productive day,worked on several projects,including Frankie's electrodes.Went with my gut,they are now asymmetrical,as per the original make-up.I'll post pix soon...PS

Back