Questions for Asmus

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might want to prepare yourself to be disappointed haha. Keep some hope, but just a fool’s hope.
Box office profits aren't necessarily a measure of quality. Nevertheless, the Hobbit films made around 3 billion in theater and are credited, along with the Harry Potter films, of giving moribund theaters a needed boost.

I remain a fan of these films, and like with LOTR, ignore the treatments I don't like.

Meanwhile for the sake of the bank account, space, and sanity, while I'd certainly invest in Hobbit figures (Thranduil, BOFA, Thorin Dain, dwarves etc.) for me characters like Wormtongue, and probably Haldir, orcs, etc. would be a hard pass. I still gotta pick up the new Legolas. Not sure how much more I feel I need with LOTR past that. LOL ASMUS already had me pick up figs I never thought about 😁 , thanks to their excellence like the Twilight King.$$$$$$
Crown Gandalf will supposedly show up for me Monday (finally) so will hope for the best there:impatient:. Also I don't need to overload shelves with the new Amazon series coming, tho I don't know if ASMUS has that license.

probably Haldir. would be a hard pass.
Well I know whose wish list characters I will not be campaigning for.

1643489332061.gif

In all seriousness, I hated the Hobbit movies. I feel like I’m watching a movie made on the computer pretty much the entire time, and that’s because I am. It doesn’t look or feel real to me, the way LOTR does. I think part of the reason that LOTR is so timeless is because of how good it looks.

It’s funny, Viggo Mortensen thought Jackson was using too much CGI by the time they started working on Return of the King. I wonder what his thoughts are on The Hobbit movies.

I would buy Thranduil from The Hobbit films and that’s it. That’s just because I like the character. I would not purchase anything else. Those movies and it’s overuse of CGI, character betrayals and dumb plot points do nothing for me. I’d imagine that’s why it doesn’t sell well despite a few voices here and there who do want more, which is fine.

It’s just amazing that LOTR predates The Hobbit by a decade and looks so much better. Too much CGI isn’t always great. The original Star Wars from the 70s looks better than than the movies made in the early 2000s. Phantom Menace looks good all things considered, but that’s because they didn’t use nearly as much CGI as they did in the other two movies.

I will forever be disappointed by so much in The Hobbit and I do hope Asmus gets more requested LOTR figures out before they do another Hobbit figure.

I’m glad you enjoy it! I’m not trying to put it down to anyone who likes it. I just won’t open my wallet for it and I’m explaining why. I’ll always cherish the book. Would have loved the movie if the studio didn’t interfere and Peter Jackson didn’t go off the rails so much.

100% in for Wormtongue, Denethor, and Easterling: I have been hoping fir a while I would not be the only one.
0% for Haldir: this would be my first real pass in the line, as I cannot stand his meaningless pressence and bad acting in the films.

Despite some of the dodgy plot lines, I still like all The Hobbit films and take them for what they are. Regarding figures that I`d like from The Hobbit, Thranduil in his throne outfit would be top. I`d also go for a Mirkwood palace guard.
Yeah me too...there are some bits I really do like, some bits that annoy the hell out of me and some parts I just plain cringe at! Have grown to like them more over time but for me they just do not match the LOTR films...too much CGI and needless plot filler - LOTR just felt so 'real' in comparison. As I've said previously though the casting was spot on and I'd happily take figures of Thranduil, Radagast, Balin, Fili, BOTFA Thorin, Dain and even though I didn't really care too much for her role in films, Tauriel (as I did like her design) if Asmus ever did decide to revisit those films. Real pity the Hobbit figures are such poor sellers as I doubt I'll ever see any of them (bar Thranduil) made.

In all seriousness, I hated the Hobbit movies. I feel like I’m watching a movie made on the computer pretty much the entire time, and that’s because I am. It doesn’t look or feel real to me, the way LOTR does. I think part of the reason that LOTR is so timeless is because of how good it looks.

It’s funny, Viggo Mortensen thought Jackson was using too much CGI by the time they started working on Return of the King. I wonder what his thoughts are on The Hobbit movies.

I would buy Thranduil from The Hobbit films and that’s it. That’s just because I like the character. I would not purchase anything else. Those movies and it’s overuse of CGI, character betrayals and dumb plot points do nothing for me. I’d imagine that’s why it doesn’t sell well despite a few voices here and there who do want more, which is fine.

It’s just amazing that LOTR predates The Hobbit by a decade and looks so much better. Too much CGI isn’t always great. The original Star Wars from the 70s looks better than than the movies made in the early 2000s. Phantom Menace looks good all things considered, but that’s because they didn’t use nearly as much CGI as they did in the other two movies.

I will forever be disappointed by so much in The Hobbit and I do hope Asmus gets more requested LOTR figures out before they do another Hobbit figure.
I don't mind if some folks hate the Hobbit movies; not sure I'd use the word hate but there are many things I am none too fond of in LOTR; I much prefer the books. And I also think LOTR is showing its age. OK, I hate Jackson's take on Faramir and Denethor for one thing 😁 . (I've read why they handled the characters that way. I disagree and this was a huge disappointment for me:cry:, even now).

Re the Hobbit movies there are things I don't care for; but for me what is great (like Laketown and Mirkwood) is impeccable. Some fantastic performances too. Dunno about sales but ASMUS figs go up once their sold out, if you can even find them. Like there's only one listing for young Bilbo on the 'bay right now - sure glad I own 3 of 'em:monkey3😁

Unfortunately - and I think it's true for both films, but more so for the Hobbit movies at times - CGI, CGI, CGI. From the scrubbing bubbles of LOTR to the BOFA fuzzy battle shots. Also IMO they shouldn't have CGI'd Legolas face. De-aging tech isn't something I care for always seems to look waxy. Apparently truly great CGI - like Smaug - costs a lot. So we get the "good enough" shots:sneaky:. But for sure by the Hobbit films WB was hanging around counting costs. But there's environments and characters in the Hobbit that I am amazed by. I really, really wish Jackson had done more flashbacks or something about everything that went on in the North.

But I figure, if you don't like, don't buy. Like, for instance, can't believe WETA put out another Balrog. Balrogs are cool etc. but how many balrogs are out already. I'm just one person commenting tho which isn't gonna change what ASMUS decides to make. Just sayin' I'd like the Hobbit characters mentioned; and for myself have no reason to pick up characters like Boromir or Wormtongue. On the other hand releasing a Bag End 1/6 diorama would be most welcome. Oh, and an Easterling, just because of the coolness factor. Mirkwood guards to go with a new Thranduil too. :monkey3 Not even sure about Eowyn tho Rohan is one of my favorite things about LOTR. But I own the WETA piece$$$$. I'd probably cave on an Eowyn tho. :D

Last edited:
Yeah me too...there are some bits I really do like, some bits that annoy the hell out of me and some parts I just plain cringe at! Have grown to like them more over time but for me they just do not match the LOTR films...too much CGI and needless plot filler - LOTR just felt so 'real' in comparison. As I've said previously though the casting was spot on and I'd happily take figures of Thranduil, Radagast, Balin, Fili, BOTFA Thorin, Dain and even though I didn't really care too much for her role in films, Tauriel (as I did like her design) if Asmus ever did decide to revisit those films. Real pity the Hobbit figures are such poor sellers as I doubt I'll ever see any of them (bar Thranduil) made.
None too fond of the Tauriel inclusion and the elf overload in the Hobbit films, but that was Jackson and Boyens. That kind of thing goes back IMO like to when Jackson wanted Arwen at the Battle of Helm's Deep and apparently was shouted down by the fans.

There are things Jackson & co. chose to do that I will always find baffling. On the other hand, it's been said Jackson was born to do Middle Earth films, and I can't argue with his aesthetics and casting.

We'll see if Amazon can compete.:D

I don't mind if some folks hate the Hobbit movies; not sure I'd use the word hate but there are many things I am none too fond of in LOTR; I much prefer the books. And I also think LOTR is showing its age. OK, I hate Jackson's take on Faramir and Denethor for one thing 😁 . (I've read why they handled the characters that way. I disagree and this was a huge disappointment for me:cry:, even now).

Re the Hobbit movies there are things I don't care for; but for me what is great (like Laketown and Mirkwood) is impeccable. Some fantastic performances too. Dunno about sales but ASMUS figs go up once their sold out, if you can even find them. Like there's only one listing for young Bilbo on the 'bay right now - sure glad I own 3 of 'em:monkey3😁

Unfortunately - and I think it's true for both films, but more so for the Hobbit movies at times - CGI, CGI, CGI. From the scrubbing bubbles of LOTR to the BOFA fuzzy battle shots. Also IMO they shouldn't have CGI'd Legolas face. De-aging tech isn't something I care for always seems to look waxy. Apparently truly great CGI - like Smaug - costs a lot. So we get the "good enough" shots:sneaky:. But for sure by the Hobbit films WB was hanging around counting costs. But there's environments and characters in the Hobbit that I am amazed by. I really, really wish Jackson had done more flashbacks or something about everything that went on in the North.

But I figure, if you don't like, don't buy. Like, for instance, can't believe WETA put out another Balrog. Balrogs are cool etc. but how many balrogs are out already. I'm just one person commenting tho which isn't gonna change what ASMUS decides to make. Just sayin' I'd like the Hobbit characters mentioned; and for myself have no reason to pick up characters like Boromir or Wormtongue. On the other hand releasing a Bag End 1/6 diorama would be most welcome. Oh, and an Easterling, just because of the coolness factor. Mirkwood guards to go with a new Thranduil too. :monkey3 Not even sure about Eowyn tho Rohan is one of my favorite things about LOTR. But I own the WETA piece$$$$. I'd probably cave on an Eowyn tho. :D

I actually enjoy the Hobbit very much,
but the over whelming CG of everything just took the flavor away,

I can still taste the bad flavour left by The Hobbit Trilogy.

I’ll give that fan edit a go at some point though. Knowing now not to expect anything remotely similar to LOTR might make it easier to stomach.

Not a single figure beyond Azog would interest me but Lurtz really deserves to be the next villain from Asmus.

I can still taste the bad flavour left by The Hobbit Trilogy.

I’ll give that fan edit a go at some point though. Knowing now not to expect anything remotely similar to LOTR might make it easier to stomach.

Not a single figure beyond Azog would interest me but Lurtz really deserves to be the next villain from Asmus.
I think we need Sauron next. 😆 I wonder if we would ever see an “Annatar” version at some point?

I actually enjoy the Hobbit very much,
but the over whelming CG of everything just took the flavor away,
Well, I am more tolerant of some things, thanks to Richard Taylor explaining about the rising costs of the movie industry. Sad. Sometimes when I watch the old pirate movies or other epic films - casts of hundreds, thousands and no CGI at all!

I'd still argue Smaug is the best dragon ever put on film (motion capture/CGI) plus the trolls, the white hart, Thranduil's moose - just beautiful. Both for LOTR and Hobbit IMO it's the long shots of battles that don't work for me - always look kind of fuzzy.

One thing I couldn’t stand about The Hobbit. They changed the design of the orcs and of the wargs.
TBH that's not something that would faze me, tho I preferred the look of the LOTR orcs. I give WETA kudos for doing something different.

But I don't usually buy baddies. Exceptions get made tho like for MOS - for me one of the creepiest designs ever put on screen. So I had to pick him up. 😁

I know other folks want them but doubt I'd ever pick up an orc. Funds are limited.:cry:

Back