Queen Studios / InArt to do sixth scale figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm tired of mass collecting.

I'd prefer to buy a few great pieces for a lot of money, then tons of pieces for a lot less that fall apart over time or are reissued, V2'd or remade.

This is how I now collect as well and I'm much more happy with my collection now than I have ever been. Sometimes it still hard to say no to POing following the hype of some movies/shows though I've been good about it as of late, thankfully. :lol

I'm incredibly excited to see what Queen Studios has to offer.

All they said was that some figures will be region based, not that their entire 1/6 line of figures won't be.

I’d totally be down for a definitive Indiana Jones, actually. I would forego 2 or 3 planned purchases to get an amazing Indy on the shelf.
As mentioned above, for some this might be a case of focused collecting. Absolute grails, less clutter.
I tried to stick to WB characters since that seems to be their primary partner, but yeah, big bucks would be dropped on a perfect Indy. But I'll try not to think about that, because then I'm going to go crazy. Might as well take it as they come. Slow down on the HT completionism, focus on some one-off grails. Cultivate a more "mature" collection. As time goes on, it really feels as if I'm turning into a Hasbro collector but with a bigger budget. No, seriously. When I see the muted "colourful" MCU costumes clutter the shelves of other collectors in videos, that's what it feels like.

I think the biggest takeaway here is that everything gets outdated, so we shouldn't get "too" attached. I was looking for the DX011 pics to do a comparison with the new QS one, and in hindsight, it does look like a toy.

dx11-joker2.jpg

Granted, it's a decade-old figure, and it still looks good, but you get the point. Many of us get into this hobby to have a "finishing grail" of each character, but the truth is that nothing remains static and 5 years later you'll be tempted to buy the exact same figure again. It's why it's important to stick with only beloved characters, because then you can justify the replacement of one or two, and live with the rest. But when you have an extensive collection full of background extras and the like, then you're surely going to be feeling the weight of "wasted" money when the new innovation comes along. Unless you've got an unlimited budget, you should have a plan to get out at some point. You can always dip back in at times for very specific items, but that's it. It's a dangerous hobby, all things considered.

235a992e-46d6-4bbc-ba20-41da905ec592_text.gif

About 10 years ago I stopped collecting a line I was into for quite a few years. I'd reached a point where I was trying to get every release. Completionism had gotten hold of me. "Oh, I read that comic", or "yeah, I really loved that look" were my only thoughts. I bought and bought and completed teams and everything. None of it mattered, they all went into the box with a small percentage being anything more than filler. When I saw what I spent for what I had in my hand, I got mad at all the wasted money. I made the same mistake with my comic book pull list. When I got into 1/6th again, I said to myself that the much steeper pricepoint would keep me in line. I'd only get the "very, very best". Each figure would be special. And here I am, spending much more on a single figure than I used to spend for whole waves back in the day. I'm in the exact same situation, taken over by the exact same thoughts, and about to make the exact same mistakes.

200w.gif

For me, this QS Line is a bit of a Godsend. It stopped me in my tracks and stalled me. Recent showings of my go-to franchises being so underwhelming helped too. I'm not out, certainly, but it's all working to stop me from going down a path I know I'll regret, but was very likely to go down all the same because of my addictive personality.

So yeah, bring them on. I just hope QS doesn't turn into HT 2.0, and we go from 300$ MCU & SW centric releases from HT every week, to 500$ MCU, DC & SW centric releases from QS every week... These figures should be special, period. Otherwise what's the point?

Imagine if QS dive into 1/6 marvel, and the first they make is Iron Man
Well, Iron Man is a popular character that I think people would love to have in a "grail" form. Doing him would be a good thing, as long as they also announced something else a tad more interesting. It's when they get to making 600$ Black Widows that we've got a problem. If they got the Marvel license, and it was MCU-based and not Comic-based like I hope, Stark, Cap & Thor would be a given. But then they'd have to move on to Strange, Panther, Magneto and Doom in the future, those kind of characters. Not Vision or Angel or the Human Torch. This should be a Premium Line. Only the best of the best should be in it.

I think the reason a lot of us are getting a little excited and probably ahead of ourselves is because there hasn't been this kind of "shake up" in the 1/6 community in quite awhile. As it's been said many times, HT has had pretty much a monopoly on 1/6 figures with no one being able to step up to the plate. Enterbay tried and now they're stuck doing basketball figures. I wouldn't say sideshow tries to compete with Hot Toys but they aren't up to snuff as a total package even if I do actually like my Sideshow figures. Blitzway is very hit or miss and also very slow to release to build any real hype. Asmus (like weta) is pretty great at LOTR for the most part but outside of that, their figures are less than ideal.

With Queen Studios, we at least have an idea of their standard for quality (both proto and production) at least for their statues and based on that, we're hoping that same quality and attention to detail will be equally passed on down to the 1/6 items. And I think that's why this is getting way more positive buzz and excitement than say when Molecule8 came around spouting all these big ideas on how they were going to change the 1/6 world with nothing to show for it. Queen Studios has already had substantial pieces actually released and in collector's hands AND they came right out the gate with a proto ready to be teased and soon, revealed.

I'd prefer to buy a few great pieces for a lot of money, then tons of pieces for a lot less that fall apart over time or are reissued, V2'd or remade.

And a few great pieces around the house look a lot better to the ladies then that strange room with 12 detolfs and 200 dolls...
This is where I've been at for awhile now. I used to be the type of collector getting all the hype figures and I did that all the way through the original Avengers line up except for Black widow and Hawkeye. After selling my collection a handful of times already, I'm at the point where I collect specific characters that I really like rather than full lines. I've gotten a little out of hand here and there and have to be reeled back in a bit and force myself to selling items that really don't matter, but overall, I stay the course.

Sideshow’s making statues and 1:6 figures, look how great those are! :D
--

They used to be great from back in the day, but the design and quality standards along with pricing changed since the mid 2000s. Their quality standards became very inconsistent for their statues and 1:6 figures while other brands improved.

And a few great pieces around the house look a lot better to the ladies then that strange room with 12 detolfs and 200 dolls...

I definitely agree but there are collections where I want a set of characters represented and not just one or two. For example, at bare minimum, I would want the Fellowship nine for my LOTR collection. If the numbers being tossed around are anywhere accurate, that could be $4,500.00 just right there. ($500 a fig.)

I've mentioned it before but my days in the hobby are numbered or at best, extremely limited. I feel another collection purge in the near future. World events have only hastened to get me started. One positive in having a new company selling figures at exorbitant prices is that our current figures should at least retain their value as cheaper alternatives.

I can’t imagine some of those LotR figures being improved upon over Asmus’ version to the tune of $500 ea. even if the sculpts are spot on. The way the economy is going it just doesn’t seem feasible.

All this talk of hyper realistic sculpts and paint apps on silicone skin, glass eyes, rooted hair, seamless arms, the finest tailoring money can buy is great but I want to know if InArt will finally improve upon the dreadful crotch grabber stands that are commonplace from all companies.

Will they be the ones to make clear acrylic poles the new standard or go even further and use magnets in the feet?

If their intent is to elevate the hobby then this is the simplest initial way to differentiate one of their figures on display from other brands.
There’s a reason HT seldom promote their figures with the actual crotch stand placed between their legs- because they know it looks horrid and completely detracts from the silhouette.
Characters like Joker who wear long coats look even worse with a random plastic post poking out from under them.

I’ve tried asking that question on FB but it’s not been approved.
I guess only hundreds of random requests for characters are passing the checks at the moment.

You don't know how lucky you are.
It is actually taking me out of the game. My interest level for 1/6 is declining. I only had Damtoys Godfather on my list and I will be honest i'm not "head over heels" in anticipation when I receive it. Or if I decide not even to make the purchase.

All this talk of hyper realistic sculpts and paint apps on silicone skin, glass eyes, rooted hair, seamless arms, the finest tailoring money can buy is great but I want to know if InArt will finally improve upon the dreadful crotch grabber stands that are commonplace from all companies.

Will they be the ones to make clear acrylic poles the new standard or go even further and use magnets in the feet?

If their intent is to elevate the hobby then this is the simplest initial way to differentiate one of their figures on display from other brands.
There’s a reason HT seldom promote their figures with the actual crotch stand placed between their legs- because they know it looks horrid and completely detracts from the silhouette.
Characters like Joker who wear long coats look even worse with a random plastic post poking out from under them.

I’ve tried asking that question on FB but it’s not been approved.
I guess only hundreds of random requests for characters are passing the checks at the moment.

Yeah, I hate using these crotch grabber stands. I'd prefer not having any stands in my display at all, but only Hot Toys seem to do a consistently good job at balancing their toys to stand under their own weight. A lot of other brands, third party stuff especially, can't do it even in basic museum poses and I've yet to find an alternative, more invisible way of keeping them upright. That new Infinite Statue Bela Lugosi Dracula has magnets in the feet and I'm really curious to see how well that works.

Back