Queen Studios / InArt to do sixth scale figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just offering more insight into the whole process of making these dolls and trying to make people see how unrealistic their expectations for InArt are right now, it's great to hope for the best and show support, but InArt isn't the second coming of christ and right now they won't be able to reach the production level of Hot Toys, the more info I have about them the more I'm sure they'll be just like everyone else in most regards, quite frankly all the hype and criticism of other brands will do them more harm than good if the Joker figure doesn't live up to the high expectations they and collectors have created, I guarantee there's going to be massive backlash when they start delaying their products like everyone else because collectors have conditioned themselves to believe they will have insanely fast production turnaround compared to Hot Toys but when they start having one, two, three, and then eventually ten or more figures in production they will quickly realize time is everything, especially in these crazy times, but I agree, let's dream while we can but then let's not get cranky when we wake up and realize life is still the same! :lol
--

Holding onto to, believing in, having faith in unrealistic expectations is the norm for many collectors within the hobby and whenever a dose of realism is expressed it gets ignored and avoided.

--

Holding onto to, believing in, having faith in ...

tumblr_oj4m9iGvWX1u501aoo1_400.gifv

I'm with @R_R_X here; the blind expectations of grandeur with InArt are just going to set people up for disappointment. I expect this figure to be a solid B- effort in the end comparable to some of the better third parties. It's going to come out, and it'll most likely be fine. Not bad, not outstanding, but fine.

InArt is smart about this though - the Joker was an easy option for them to start with. The paints don't need to be perfect because of the makeup, Ledger Joker has a cult-like obsessive following, the character doesn't call for massive R&D for extravagant accessories, and Hot Toys hasn't put out a Ledger in a while (but they did put out a Batman which demands a companion piece). This figure will sell, basically every third party Ledger Joker sells well. And until IA shows more, that's all this is. Obviously they have a Battinson in the silo, why not start with that given the hype surrounding The Batman? Because the company who commands the market was already on the scene. Even if the product is better in the end, Hot Toys will still sell on name brand alone. They literally picked the most sellable option for their first release.

People act like HT not "responding" to InArt is some sheepish, scared response. HT is literally going to keep going about their day. A human will walk right passed an ant, until it bites them. If this Joker bites, then HT will change their tune. But as of now they simply don't have to.

I agree that their prototype is outstanding, but that's all it is, a prototype. There's maybe what, 5 of them in existence right now? You can tell they're trying to oversell the premium factor; the wooden floor, the metal jail bars, the die cast weapons. Why? It's all relatively simple stuff to appear as more. Why can't all of these things be plastic? Hell I wish they would have been. The jail cell could actually have safely sat in a detolf shelf that way. It's the same nonsense as HT using diecast in more than the legs on their Iron Men.

But InArt is, and I'll give them that, very clever. They're making it look like they have their hands in everything with their polls, their advertising, and all that jazz. The polls are the best part, because the general audience who knows nothing of this will think that IA will make whatever is at the top of it. While I really, really hope that it's a valid way for us to see more obscure licenses (I want a full new Terminator line myself), I see it more as advertising for the time being. But I truly hope they make good on it.

IA looks good. They're putting on a really good show right now. You know who else had that? Molecule8. Now while I full well expect this to come to fruition where M8 didn't, I don't think this figure will revolutionize the industry. But as of now, it's hand waving, the appearance of many licenses, and a prototype.

This rederic that HT has allowed DC to languish is so werid. Warner has put their eggs in the wrong basket for the last 7 years, except they didn't put them in the basket, they catapulted the full case into it. The Snyderverse is done, Warner is falling back to a 30 year old Batman to "fix it", and Aquarman somehow, amongst all of this, became a thing. We got yet another Joker for edgelordns to feel "seen" by, which was off the table as far as licensing goes so that's a mute point. Flash may very well be recast if Ezra can't get his **** together. It's not HTs fault that the source material they can draw from was so all over the place. With the exception of The Suicide Squad and Shazam, HT has basically made everything you could have recently done cinematically. You've gotten every version (plus one!) of Wonder Woman, every Harley pre TSS, the FULL Justice League (including Cyborg!), every Batman from BvS, and even Chris effing O'Donnell Robin, among others. While it'd be nice to see them, 89 Catwoman and Penguin are really the only sore spot here, and even then, there's a new version of those on the block. 89 Cat and Penguin haven't even been pursued by third parties, which leads me to believe the consensus is that there isn't as big of a market for them as we hope. Oh, HT should rerelease some of the classic stuff, like 89 Joker or Batman? Folks will cry about that too, because it's just another rerelease. Ocean master? No one's going to buy it, they just aren't. No different than the Eternals figs. Black Manta maybe comes to mind? The biggest gap amongst this are the Arkham games, which could have steadily supplied the theme. But HT has only had so much to work with from WB.

Prove me wrong InArt, I will eat crow. I hope I do! I have money riding on this anyway, I've preordered Joker. It's not like I say this without a dog in the fight.

You know who else had that? Molecule8.

Not addressing you, just this is the second comparison with Molecule8... which was a joke. Some of us never bought into Molecule8 you might remember, and posted reasons why in the early days. But as others have said, the sheep wouldn't hear of it. I don't see Queen as a Molecule8 situation because its founder is solid and has a track record, something Molecule8 didn't have (with just a little research it wasn't hard to find).

Now that's not saying Queen can't fail. It certainly can. I have not been too impressed with their advertising so far (Gandalf)... but I hope it is only growing pains, and I hope that things -- Joker anyway -- will come out nicely in the wash. I have no false hopes that Queen will replace Hot Toys or any other company. I wouldn't want them too. I just hope Queen will be a good high-end option for a few characters that I want. Nothing more. I also hope JND enters the fray as well.

Right now the discourse is about getting perfect ultimate versions of characters because they've chosen to go forward with IPs that have already been done before. They've directly called for comparisons to Hot Toys, Asmus and ThreeZero. It's an aggressive, even cocky, move, and right now a lot of people have confidence in their confidence.

It's a very different strategy from some other recent companies, who start out with more niche IPs, like Kaustik and their John Wayne or Nick and his "Official" Cobra figure.

I'm with @R_R_X here; the blind expectations of grandeur with InArt are just going to set people up for disappointment. I expect this figure to be a solid B- effort in the end comparable to some of the better third parties. It's going to come out, and it'll most likely be fine. Not bad, not outstanding, but fine.

InArt is smart about this though - the Joker was an easy option for them to start with. The paints don't need to be perfect because of the makeup, Ledger Joker has a cult-like obsessive following, the character doesn't call for massive R&D for extravagant accessories, and Hot Toys hasn't put out a Ledger in a while (but they did put out a Batman which demands a companion piece). This figure will sell, basically every third party Ledger Joker sells well. And until IA shows more, that's all this is. Obviously they have a Battinson in the silo, why not start with that given the hype surrounding The Batman? Because the company who commands the market was already on the scene. Even if the product is better in the end, Hot Toys will still sell on name brand alone. They literally picked the most sellable option for their first release.

People act like HT not "responding" to InArt is some sheepish, scared response. HT is literally going to keep going about their day. A human will walk right passed an ant, until it bites them. If this Joker bites, then HT will change their tune. But as of now they simply don't have to.

I agree that their prototype is outstanding, but that's all it is, a prototype. There's maybe what, 5 of them in existence right now? You can tell they're trying to oversell the premium factor; the wooden floor, the metal jail bars, the die cast weapons. Why? It's all relatively simple stuff to appear as more. Why can't all of these things be plastic? Hell I wish they would have been. The jail cell could actually have safely sat in a detolf shelf that way. It's the same nonsense as HT using diecast in more than the legs on their Iron Men.

But InArt is, and I'll give them that, very clever. They're making it look like they have their hands in everything with their polls, their advertising, and all that jazz. The polls are the best part, because the general audience who knows nothing of this will think that IA will make whatever is at the top of it. While I really, really hope that it's a valid way for us to see more obscure licenses (I want a full new Terminator line myself), I see it more as advertising for the time being. But I truly hope they make good on it.

IA looks good. They're putting on a really good show right now. You know who else had that? Molecule8. Now while I full well expect this to come to fruition where M8 didn't, I don't think this figure will revolutionize the industry. But as of now, it's hand waving, the appearance of many licenses, and a prototype.

This rederic that HT has allowed DC to languish is so werid. Warner has put their eggs in the wrong basket for the last 7 years, except they didn't put them in the basket, they catapulted the full case into it. The Snyderverse is done, Warner is falling back to a 30 year old Batman to "fix it", and Aquarman somehow, amongst all of this, became a thing. We got yet another Joker for edgelordns to feel "seen" by, which was off the table as far as licensing goes so that's a mute point. Flash may very well be recast if Ezra can't get his **** together. It's not HTs fault that the source material they can draw from was so all over the place. With the exception of The Suicide Squad and Shazam, HT has basically made everything you could have recently done cinematically. You've gotten every version (plus one!) of Wonder Woman, every Harley pre TSS, the FULL Justice League (including Cyborg!), every Batman from BvS, and even Chris effing O'Donnell Robin, among others. While it'd be nice to see them, 89 Catwoman and Penguin are really the only sore spot here, and even then, there's a new version of those on the block. 89 Cat and Penguin haven't even been pursued by third parties, which leads me to believe the consensus is that there isn't as big of a market for them as we hope. Oh, HT should rerelease some of the classic stuff, like 89 Joker or Batman? Folks will cry about that too, because it's just another rerelease. Ocean master? No one's going to buy it, they just aren't. No different than the Eternals figs. Black Manta maybe comes to mind? The biggest gap amongst this are the Arkham games, which could have steadily supplied the theme. But HT has only had so much to work with from WB.

Prove me wrong InArt, I will eat crow. I hope I do! I have money riding on this anyway, I've preordered Joker. It's not like I say this without a dog in the fight.
--

Let them learn the hard way if the final production design and quality doesn't meet the unrealistic expectations.

You'll have those who'll excuse and rationalize it and those who'll complain.

Just like prior instances.

There is no rationalizing with collectors of that mentality.

Let them learn the hard way through disappointment and loss of money.

I don't want QS/IA to fail. If they pull it off, great. If not, then so be it.

They've directly called for comparisons to Hot Toys, Asmus and ThreeZero. It's an aggressive, even cocky, move, and right now a lot of people have confidence in their confidence.
It is, by making everyone else a target Queen have announced themselves as competitor number 1 for almost every brand out there but there's definitely a lot of skepticism from people in the business, IA is endearing itself with their costumers and collectors making huge promises by giving them hopes they will give them all sorts of diverse lines with the best 1/6 figures of their favorite characters which has led to a sudden and brutal shift in the discourse of the hobby around several places, a lot of people are crapping all over the older and more recent products they have by several brands due to InArt's promises but right now all they have to offer is that, promises, so the majority is waiting to see how well the Joker turns out, I think most brands aren't that worried atm because they're promising to do the best and right now that's not possible simply because of the monopoly Hot Toys has over the best factories, R&D materials, distribution and of course, the most desired licenses with worlwide availability, and from all the recent info I have the team over at InArt doesn't have the expirience a lot of other folks do, Viper is a young man whose only mass production run left a lot to be desired, they're great artists and costumizers but we'll have to see how well they handle dealing with the hurdles of mass producing thousands of copies of 1/6 figures.

I don't think they'll be the new Molecule8 just because they have Queen Studios overseeing them, they're big in the statue market and their reputationwould be put at stake if the InArt team somehow completely messes up their first release but I think this whole thing being a scam is out of the question.

They're definitely doing some questionable things tho, trying to pass off a darkened Gandalf screenshot as a teaser of a figure and now learning they've used a plastic handgun they didn't make and advertised it as an original diecast accessory leaves me wondering how much of the protoype was actually done by them and how much of it is ready to be mass produced, what actual bodies they'll be using and so on, they've told us everything will be done "in-house" and every body will be unique which isn't possible when it comes to producing thousands of 1/6 figures, all this has definitely raised my curiosity and interest in seeing the final product.

I voted for Berserk. Guts and Griffith at least are a given. I love me some Eva, but I don't see what characters they could make. A Major Kusanagi would make for a nice figure though. Hell, even the ScarJo version would make for a nice figure. The design's just too good. FMA has some nice toyetic looks too, I think. I'd name an anime or two more, but I don't think they have any chances.

If they do comics, then I'll be in trouble. I'd literally have to throw away all MCU/DCEU stuff. Maybe they could do some lesser known properties or something. I'm specifically in the photorealism/Clone Wars & Bad Batch camp. I pay 1/3rd of a grand each for these things in order to have realistic portraits and clothing. Otherwise I'd be fine with Mezco and Revoltech/Figuarts/etc 6" figures.
Ah so you like berserk. I see you are a man of quality and good taste

Ah so you like berserk. I see you are a man of quality and good taste
It's great, but the inherent contrarian in me hates that it got so big that it's become normal-core. Ah well, I left the "hate [X] because it's popular" mentality back in my teens. I'm working on getting the Deluxes, but between all the series I'm collecting in hardcover format, it's not easy. I spend maybe 1K on Omnis last year and I am still in the early stages.

Were Berserk figures to happen, I don't know which versions I'd buy. The "deluxe" option would be to double dip for Griffith and Guts, but I'm not sure I'd be able to swing that with everything else I have in my wishlists. Every time I try to tone it down, I still end up with 200 figures. Granted, about 50 of them will never get made, but the other 100 or so will happen within the decade, and the rest are likely what-ifs, so I still need to do some trimming. I'm torn on Berserker Armour Guts & Femto Griffith, or just "base" Guts and Griffith. It'd depend on the execution and witch versions included headsculpts, I suppose.

Still, we're a looooong ways off from QS doing anything beyond WB-licenses. Berserk sells a ton, but doing manga/anime in 1/6th realistic high-end format will be a challenge.

If InArt can only do WB licences for now, how about Blade Runner finally 🤔
I'd mash that PO button at 04:00. If we get WestWorld figures (apart from the MiB, and maybe Dolores and Ford, I don't see who else they'd make) and not BR ones, I'll... complain on forums. But you get my point. I wouldn't buy anything beyond a Deckard and a K, but I need those two yesterday. Roy would be tempting, but I have to stick to just the important bits.

Anyway, they seem to have an almost exclusive, for the time being, relationship with WB, so I think chances are good enough. Better than they were some years ago anyhow.

I'd mash that PO button at 04:00. If we get WestWorld figures (apart from the MiB, and maybe Dolores and Ford, I don't see who else they'd make) and not BR ones, I'll... complain on forums. But you get my point. I wouldn't buy anything beyond a Deckard and a K, but I need those two yesterday. Roy would be tempting, but I have to stick to just the important bits.

Anyway, they seem to have an almost exclusive, for the time being, relationship with WB, so I think chances are good enough. Better than they were some years ago anyhow.
Roy is as important to me as Deckard, just saying.

Roy is as important to me as Deckard, just saying.
He is part of the core, but put me against the wall and make me choose a single figure to represent the film, I'd go with Deckard. IF such figures happen at some point, and if I don't have too much going on, I'd surely try to snag a Roy too. Otherwise I'd be content with Deckard and K. But then I'd want a Rachel too, and down the rabbit hole I go...

I'm like that with the TNG crew. I can't get just get Picard and leave the rest of the family sit in a warehouse.
That must hurt. We're talking about 7 people or so IIRC, so it's a ~2K investment. I can put boundaries myself, but only if I have a plan. For example Star Wars, where I can skip big names like Han and Boba, simply because I collect only Force Sensitives, and thus don't feel as if I'm leaving a collection incomplete. But with Star Trek, were I a big fan, I would feel something similar, so I get you. X-Men's something where I feel compelled to round out specific teams, but for the purposes of my display I'll create my own little team-ups and not remain restrained by the MCU's selection. But if they did a Morrison X-Men release, I'd buy them all as extras, regardless of my own fan-made 'Extinction Team', just because of my nostalgia towards that run. But that's a comic-specific thing which will never happen, so I'm "safe".

With films such as Blade Runner, Matrix and the such, it's easy to be carried away and want the entire line when it's 3 or so people. But 3 here, 4 there, the non-essentials start piling up and before you know it you have a lot of extra clutter. In the end, for the time being at least, I'm sticking with the Deckards, the Ks and the Neos, and passing on the Roys, the Trinities and the such.

Back