QMX Star Trek General discussion thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess Toyfair will say a lot

Not sure that it will...QMX rolled out a slew of awesome looking DISCO, TNG, TWOK,figures at SDCC that made it look like amazing things were happening and that the line was as alive as Hot Toys' Star Wars line...the catch is that none of those figures will ever be released...I am sure that they will roll all of those figures out for Toy Fair too. It will lead to some great buzz for QMX too...none of the articles will mention that QMX has no intention of releasing the figures.

Well I was hoping to collect a whole lot more characters, but I'm still really grateful for these amazing ones I do have. So thanks Nanjin. :)

20190121_114140.jpg

I bet you are correct. I don't have much faith in QMx anymore for this among other recent reasons. Their pattern seems to be to dangle a carrot in your face to get you excited, then pulling it away as soon as the ToyFair is over. They tease with no or very little payoff. Hot Toys, on the other hand, consistently roll-out new and/or alternate concept figures in varying scales and genres. Super complex and yet they never seem to miss a beat. If HotToys teases a prototype at show, you know they will produce it for market within a year or so. QMx could've done a similar thing with their niche licenses, but haven't progressed much. In addition to their 1/6th scale teases, some of their high-end studio models haven't seen the light of day either. I do realize that Avengers and Star Wars figures, for example, have way more popular appeal these days than Star Trek, The Princess Bride, Supernaturals, etc.-- but there are a lot of collectors who love those genres nevertheless. I don't know the business of 1/6th scale or how the risk assessment works, but consistency of releases seems key -- especially after having teased so much in shows -- which would help to keep momentum and interest alive, correct?

So as Jerry Seinfeld might say: "What's... the Deal... with THAT!?"

Well HT has been doing this for quite awhile, so I'm not sure it's fair to judge all these smaller companies against them, when they're just stepping their toes into the 1/6 world. But I do agree that greater consistency in releases would have helped a great deal with building momentum and buzz with collectors.

And they probably should have made some better choices at the start too, by focusing more on key characters and ensuring all the sculpts were as strong as the one for Kirk.

QMX are going to go down as being the Kings of missed opportunity too. Between the excitement and positive feedback for the Discovery S2 premiere, the announcement of the new Michelle Yeoh series, and this year's upcoming Picard series...not to mention the new animated series...there is more mainstream excitement for Star Trek than there has been for a long time...Star Trek had not felt this alive in awhile...what a great time for QMX to begin killing off the 1/6 Star Trek license...???

QMX are going to go down as being the Kings of missed opportunity too. Between the excitement and positive feedback for the Discovery S2 premiere, the announcement of the new Michelle Yeoh series, and this year's upcoming Picard series...not to mention the new animated series...there is more mainstream excitement for Star Trek than there has been for a long time...Star Trek had not felt this alive in awhile...what a great time for QMX to begin killing off the 1/6 Star Trek license...???

I agree that they should capitalise on the Trek revival or at least keep the ball bouncing until then. Zero Trek releases last year was very odd. Reissue Kirk plus Scotty would have sold well enough. Reissue Spock plus Uhura for this year at least, and so on, with one or two limited releases for Christmas. They were probably a year too early with Picard which suffered from the staining issue as well. That was gutting for such a cool figure.

To be fair, reading everything so far doesn't sound like they're killing the line, but Nanjin isn't involved anymore. But QMX basically doesn't say anything so it's pretty much to better to assume nothing is coming until it's announced. I know they're a small company but they're pretty frustrating.

Guys

I am telling you for the record if Tam is not
involved with QMX and QMX still release any
future ST, it is over. We all seen it is not just
getting the license but what the company does
with the license.

Most mass produced 1/6 figures can rarely pull it off
other than Blitzway did with their Carlito way and
a few others outside of Hot Toys.

Look at the John Lennon Figure Molecule 8 fiasco,
the Sean Connery Figure with Big Chief and we can go
on and on. The JL Figure is starting to be blown out already
by some buyers/retailers. Big Chief cannot give the Bond
line away looking at their recent “ Buy 2 get 1 for free”
sale

The past QMX ST release was really a golden era for QMX.
After Scotty whenever that comes out, I am really hoping
TWOK will someday be released by another
company. QMX will screw them up without proper
art direction.

We’re all very doom and gloom here, aren’t we?
Nanjin Tam leaving QMX is indeed very sad, but from what I read here, this was his decision. No?
As far as Hot Toys showing something at a trade show and then releasing it in a few months, that’s not always true. I’m sure if we all think about it we can think of a few that got got cancelled, or at least delayed by quite a bit.
As far as wondering why QMX hasn’t commented on the situation, why would they? Since when does a manufacturer, distributor, or, franchisee tell the fans what their whole business model is? Or how they structure their business? This age of social media is great for communicating throughout fandom, but it sometimes gives us fans the false impression that we’re entitled to know every detail of things we care about... Just because we care, or are concerned. Sometimes we’re lucky and have an insider like Nanjin who posts lots of info... Some companies would freak out about that. I’m encouraged that QMX doesn’t seem that bothered by his openness.
I too have my doubts about the line continuing, but I think it’s a little early to pronounce the line dead. Cynicism has a way of gaining traction and becoming self-fulfilling prophecy. Enjoy what we’ve got, support the line, and hope for the best!

To be fair, reading everything so far doesn't sound like they're killing the line, but Nanjin isn't involved anymore. But QMX basically doesn't say anything so it's pretty much to better to assume nothing is coming until it's announced. I know they're a small company but they're pretty frustrating.

All good points and I agree...I think my frustration was causing me to get a bit carried away in hyperbole. I think I have been spoiled the the also problematic year in advance pre-order Hot Toys business model...as frustrating as the wait can be there is something about their "we show things at shows to gauge interest..."model that is beyond frustrating. Before I spend money on Scotty per se instead of using money and precious shelf space on a Star Wars figure from Hot Toys I want to know that he will actually be a part of an eventual 1/6 Star Trek collection...We all collect differently and when the Ghostbusters came out from Blitzway a lot of collectors picked their favorite...for me it was all 4 or bust. If they had released individually and Ray or whoever was sold out or even worse just not released I would have skipped the whole thing.

We’re all very doom and gloom here, aren’t we?
Nanjin Tam leaving QMX is indeed very sad, but from what I read here, this was his decision. No?
As far as Hot Toys showing something at a trade show and then releasing it in a few months, that’s not always true. I’m sure if we all think about it we can think of a few that got got cancelled, or at least delayed by quite a bit.
As far as wondering why QMX hasn’t commented on the situation, why would they? Since when does a manufacturer, distributor, or, franchisee tell the fans what their whole business model is? Or how they structure their business? This age of social media is great for communicating throughout fandom, but it sometimes gives us fans the false impression that we’re entitled to know every detail of things we care about... Just because we care, or are concerned. Sometimes we’re lucky and have an insider like Nanjin who posts lots of info... Some companies would freak out about that. I’m encouraged that QMX doesn’t seem that bothered by his openness.
I too have my doubts about the line continuing, but I think it’s a little early to pronounce the line dead. Cynicism has a way of gaining traction and becoming self-fulfilling prophecy. Enjoy what we’ve got, support the line, and hope for the best!

I checked their twitter and they basically do nothing but retweet crap, how about they have some sort of communication with the community? I don't need production numbers and profit and loss statements, but something to connect to your customers should be done.

All good points and I agree...I think my frustration was causing me to get a bit carried away in hyperbole. I think I have been spoiled the the also problematic year in advance pre-order Hot Toys business model...as frustrating as the wait can be there is something about their "we show things at shows to gauge interest..."model that is beyond frustrating. Before I spend money on Scotty per se instead of using money and precious shelf space on a Star Wars figure from Hot Toys I want to know that he will actually be a part of an eventual 1/6 Star Trek collection...We all collect differently and when the Ghostbusters came out from Blitzway a lot of collectors picked their favorite...for me it was all 4 or bust. If they had released individually and Ray or whoever was sold out or even worse just not released I would have skipped the whole thing.

Exactly.

QMX management just released a statement regarding the situation:

“We are aware of the interest in our ongoing license for the various Star Trek franchises. We have been very blessed to have this license, and have enjoyed the enthusiastic feedback we have received for all of our past and current releases.

Regarding the departure of one of our employees recently, QMX found his desire to make the development and production process more cost effective for the company, as well as the ability to pass those savings on to our customers, unacceptable. Additionally, this individual wished to deliver product in a timely manner, with the highest quality possible. This overall desire of his to pay homage to the original source material - treating it in a respectful manner, as well as appreciating and respecting the customers that pay for these items, was the final straw. He choose to leave, but clearly as you can see by what is written above, he was not a good match for our company. We wish him well in his future endeavors.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is THAT for real?! In other words: “We didn’t like the fact that Nanjin was finding ways to put out a quality product and save the customers money. We want to be able to make cheap garbage when we see fit, and tack on additional costs to gouge the customer. Go F#&k yourselves, fans. We’re here to rape your wallets.”

QMX management just released a statement regarding the situation:

“We are aware of the interest in our ongoing license for the various Star Trek franchises. We have been very blessed to have this license, and have enjoyed the enthusiastic feedback we have received for all of our past and current releases.

Regarding the departure of one of our employees recently, QMX found his desire to make the development and production process more cost effective for the company, as well as the ability to pass those savings on to our customers, unacceptable. Additionally, this individual wished to deliver product in a timely manner, with the highest quality possible. This overall desire of his to pay homage to the original source material - treating it in a respectful manner, as well as appreciating and respecting the customers that pay for these items, was the final straw. He choose to leave, but clearly as you can see by what is written above, he was not a good match for our company. We wish him well in his future endeavors.”

lol had me for a few sentences.

Is THAT for real?! In other words: “We didn’t like the fact that Nanjin was finding ways to put out a quality product and save the customers money. We want to be able to make cheap garbage when we see fit, and tack on additional costs to gouge the customer. Go F#&k yourselves, fans. We’re here to rape your wallets.”

He is joking.

You didn't think a company would actually release a statement saying that they want to make low quality products and rip off their customers...even if that was how they actually felt did you?

They wouldn’t be that honest.

Maybe the executives at QMX will ask the make up crew on the new Picard show to put black ink marks around Patrick Stewart’s neck ...

Back