QMx: 1/6 Firefly - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also received my figure today.

Mixed bag for me - my figure showed up with one stud of his suspenders detached from his pants with no way to re-attach (the other studs appear to be glued or otherwise permanently attached to the pants, it's not just a matter of popping it into a hole). Contacted QMX via email, waiting for a response.

I was all set to go pic-crazy tonight but when his suspenders looks all goofy it kills the enthusiasm. Plus I didn't feel like unpacking all the hands, etc, if I just have to return this figure.

Aside from that, quick impressions - headsculpt is really spot-on. Definitely worth the wait. Comparing the new head to the original you really have to give it up to QMX for going for the gold. Many companies would have (and do) shipped the first run heads and called it a day.

The clothes are generally very nice. As has been pointed out, Mal's coat is missing the mended damage it has on the show. The fasteners on the coat are very thin metal but since he never wears it closed they are decorative, really. Material on the coat is nice, complete with lining inside.

Shirt is very good. Fits great, probably just needs some water on the collar to sit naturally. Snaps on mine are often visible but not glaringly so.

I tightened the belt, which was scary as the belt material is paper-thin. The buckle is the same super thin metal as the fasteners, with two spokes to go through the belt holes. I would advise going VERY slowly and carefully adjusting this. Seems like the metal could rip the thin material easily.

Holster fits the pistol nicely and is thicker and sturdier than the belt.

Pants are sturdy and fit well. Velcro fly stays shut. Obviously I'm not thrilled about the suspenders but that could just be my figure.

Boots are hard plastic so no ankle articulation but the sculpt is fantastic.

So, I'm just stuck here waiting to hear back about (hopefully) a replacement for the pants/suspenders. But even with that, I'm very impressed with this as a company's first 1/6 figure. Setting my suspender issue aside, only the thin, fragile feeling belt and metal bits really catch my attention as somewhat lower quality than you'd like for a $160-$180 figure.

I did snap a couple of headshots -

mal1.JPG

mal2.JPG

I hope everybody has better luck with the QC! Aside from that, this is a really excellent piece on display!

:duff

Wah-WAAAAHHHHHHHH! :lol

susp3.JPG

Mine arrived today as well and the new head makes all the difference in the world to me. He looks just like Nathan Fillion where as the first head looks washed out and bloated. Really happy with it overall.

Random question: Do Mal's boots actually fit into the leg pegs? My boots seem to just press fit against the bulk of his pants, but when I switched out the head, they went flying off. Tried pushing them down to engage the ball joint, but the pants bunch up and prevent it from fully engaging.

It's really amazing to see a Trevor Grove sculpt rendered with this much care. Whatever the process they used for the second head, keep it up!!! No gloppy paint covering the details, just enough skin texture, realistic - but not too glossy - finish. And, as has been stated, no Hot Toys freckles.

I love that they still send the old sculpt. It may not be as good but i plan to use it for making a Castle figure. Should be easy and cheap to make.

Finally opened mine up today and took a couple quick picks. This is right out of the box with no futzing. I'll take some better pics eventually. I'm really happy with the improved HS.

6e20e8e69305c78089bc0d4e9ac0eae3.jpg

9dd1b3983e600d2ec859be67c594cde1.jpg

b1066783675b38bb5c147de4d5dc5e44.jpg

b2f0b1672e6bc36523cabe9a1ded319d.jpg

67bdf72a1cc6b795184b907badb80d91.jpg

Got my Mal today as well, and I absolutely love it! There are a few minor issues that have already been mentioned, like the ultra thin gun belt and lack of poseability with the boots, but they're not a major problem.

And the new head looks fantastic, although I was surprised to find that even the new head is still pretty big (and more the size of the old Sideshow heads than the current HT heads we're used to now), but the sculpt is so fantastic that I can easily live with it. Although I do think I might try switching out to a bigger body at some point to see if the overall proportions can be improved a bit. (And ideally I'd also prefer if the head were neckless so you could get a bit more range of movement and expression out of it, but oh well. Can't have everything.) :)

Just a couple quick pics:

IMG_1714 (574x900).jpg

IMG_1707 (522x900).jpg

IMG_1712 (673x900).jpg

Just got home from work. I was dying to open this figure. This by far is my absolute favorite figure in my collection.

Bravo Andy fantastic job.... might make a Castle figure with the other head...... ;)

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I was planning to get this but the large head is giving me pause. I'll wait for some more in hand photos and comparison pics to HT figures. Also might wait it out to see what other crew members show up. I'm not a fan or one and done lines.

Is it just me, or to the shoulders on anyone else's Mal having problems rotating forward? Mine feel like old buck shoulders and simply won't rotate up into a gun pointing pose. And there's no gloved gun grip hand either... :dunno

Is it just me, or to the shoulders on anyone else's Mal having problems rotating forward? Mine feel like old buck shoulders and simply won't rotate up into a gun pointing pose. And there's no gloved gun grip hand either... :dunno
I've got the same thing. I took his jacket and shirt off and worked it slowly. Very tight but working. I held the shoulder while working it back and forth.

The body... It's a let down honestly. Feels very cheap. More so than the usual knockoff. Gets the job done though. Jayne will need a different body, obviously.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

I've got the same thing. I took his jacket and shirt off and worked it slowly. Very tight but working. I held the shoulder while working it back and forth.

The body... It's a let down honestly. Feels very cheap. More so than the usual knockoff. Gets the job done though. Jayne will need a different body, obviously.

Yeah, sadly gonna require a replacement I think. The proportions def seem off. It has great potential though.

Yeah I had to take the shirt off on mine as well, because I thought for sure I was going to break the arms if I forced them up any higher. But then the coat gets lifted up so high in the process you can't really do the pose right anyway, so it's kind of a moot point I guess.

And yeah I would have preferred a gloved gun grip as well, but it's possible the fingers would have been too thick to fit through the trigger guard, which is why they didn't include one.

Is it a known body, or something of QMX's own design?

I have spare knock-off TT narrow shoulders waiting if an emergency body transplant is necessary.
I'm fairly certain it's the same body used on the Peter bishop fringe figure.

I'm not familiar with the Fringe bodies, but it does remind me a lot of my BCS Doctor Who bodies, which have no bulk to them at all and big gaps around the shoulders and midsection that make it nearly impossible to flatten the shirt out at all, unless you add some padding.

The knock-off narrow shoulder body looks like it would work a lot better for this.

I think I might have a go at repairing his suspenders myself tonight. I'll snap a pic of the body if I get around to it.

So i have a true type knock off for swapping. I put the bad Malcolm head on the body to see if it fit. I went to my Malcom to see the body on it for maybe a swap. They are the same bodies.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Back