QMx: 1/6 Firefly - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It got delayed near a year to "improve" but in reality it declined in quality.

Looks like QMX "aimed to misbehave."

And its really starting to damage my calm.

We have this one other recent photo of Mal, in which his proportions look better and his cuff is tighter:

11709442_10155747996235582_6503376806860394139_n.jpg

His head is half the size as well. :wink1:

I'm looking at the clasps on the coat and they seem to be the same as the proto and not the one displayed. The jacket also seems to be darker like the proto. Unless it's a new production piece (which wouldn't make sense since they would have displayed it rather than the one they did), then it's the proto.

I'm also at SDCC and I saw this in person and the head sculpt is just bad. It's not the pictures its just a bad head sculpt. I'm going to try to go back today and ask if this is an early proto type or something and if they are going to redo the sculpt. If this is what we are going to see in the production piece I am cancelling my pre-order and this line will probably due a quick death. Hopefully changes are actually being worked on.

Really hope you have some good news for us. I would hate to have to cancel this. The boots, shirt, pants and accessories look fine. If they would at least fix the cuffs, I'd be good with the coat, even with the over-sized buckles. Then there's that head.:slap

Will wait for better pics. No offense to any of the photographers, but these aren't very good shots. For one, the angle is looking down (Look at the floor of the case), which of course will distort some aspects like size of head and length of torso. Also, the lighting. Assuming the boxed figure and the loose figure are the same, just compare the two. The colors and sizes are different because a: The boxed figure is further back in the case, thus more level to the camera and b: it's not underneath the same light. At least that's why the boxed figure appears better looking than the loose figure (again assuming that they are the same)

clearly, it's not a bad sculpt. we've all seen the source, and it was great. something went horribly wrong in casting. kinda like the SS Nathan Drake.

Offense or not you can tell that figure on display is garbage regardless of the quality of these pictures.

Don't get me wrong, it's obviously nowhere near as good as the prototype. Just saying, it might not be as bad as these photos would lead us to believe.

No I agree 100%. My thoughts are no matter the amount of futzing, your not fixing the large head. I wouldn't doubt this is an early proto. The head looks fine in the box.

Regardless of what you think about the quality of the pics shown, the figure looks disappointing in person at every angle. I saw the prototype when they debuted it at Dallas Comic Con last year and I saw this one at SDCC. The SDCC figure is awkward looking--plain and simple. I've been waiting for this line to get going and had high hopes after Dallas. With all the delays I figured we'd be getting something spectacular. If this is the product that's shipping out at the end of the year there's going to be a lot of disappointed collectors.

Man, I was worried that Mal would run the risk of being Snake'd or Drake'd and in the end it got even worse. So sad to see this.

Regardless of what you think about the quality of the pics shown, the figure looks disappointing in person at every angle. I saw the prototype when they debuted it at Dallas Comic Con last year and I saw this one at SDCC. The SDCC figure is awkward looking--plain and simple. I've been waiting for this line to get going and had high hopes after Dallas. With all the delays I figured we'd be getting something spectacular. If this is the product that's shipping out at the end of the year there's going to be a lot of disappointed collectors.

:exactly:

I find it hilarious that so many are looking at the pictures posted...HD pictures posted FROM SDCC, of the character, and yet they're not to be believed? The best shot is still some poorly shot picture of the figure in a box that looks terrible? Over HD pics? And real news is needed from the source? Really guys? We don't need to hear from QMX to know that this thing is on a quick downward spiral.

Zod was there, he posted pictures, Toyark posted pictures, the head looks TERRIBLE, as does the body/clothing and proportions all around. They're not going to go, "Hey Jim, should we put out the character in the box that looks excellent, or the Barbie version of the guy that we did as a joke?" "Totally put out the Barbie version!!"

The figure on display is where it's at right now, and it doesn't look like a good sign for this line. I've been waiting for a Firefly crew set for a long time, and it looks like the waiting will continue until Hot Toys eventually does it, probably never. Trevor did the sculpts and he's a BRILLIANT sculptor! The sculpt will look flawless, no doubt. Something went very wrong elsewhere, and this basically needs to be started over from scratch. Or at least quite a few steps backwards from where it currently sits.

It's crazy too since we're supposed to be on figure three or four in this line already. As I said before, nobody expected Hot Toys quality, but this looks like a Mal version you'd find down the Barbie isle for $40.

Man, I was worried that Mal would run the risk of being Snake'd or Drake'd and in the end it got even worse. So sad to see this.
Lmao I would still buy him at snaked or draked, however, I won't do bobblehead.

:exactly:

I find it hilarious that so many are looking at the pictures posted...HD pictures posted FROM SDCC, of the character, and yet they're not to be believed? The best shot is still some poorly shot picture of the figure in a box that looks terrible? Over HD pics? And real news is needed from the source? Really guys? We don't need to hear from QMX to know that this thing is on a quick downward spiral.

Zod was there, he posted pictures, Toyark posted pictures, the head looks TERRIBLE, as does the body/clothing and proportions all around. They're not going to go, "Hey Jim, should we put out the character in the box that looks excellent, or the Barbie version of the guy that we did as a joke?" "Totally put out the Barbie version!!"

The figure on display is where it's at right now, and it doesn't look like a good sign for this line. I've been waiting for a Firefly crew set for a long time, and it looks like the waiting will continue until Hot Toys eventually does it, probably never. Trevor did the sculpts and he's a BRILLIANT sculptor! The sculpt will look flawless, no doubt. Something went very wrong elsewhere, and this basically needs to be started over from scratch. Or at least quite a few steps backwards from where it currently sits.

It's crazy too since we're supposed to be on figure three or four in this line already. As I said before, nobody expected Hot Toys quality, but this looks like a Mal version you'd find down the Barbie isle for $40.
:goodpost:

Yes, it makes no sense whatsoever to put out the junk version if there's a much better example in the box. I believe the people who have seen it, but I still want to hear where it's all going from here.

I wouldn't even pay $40 for this.

QMX- you guys likely read this stuff... you had an awesome prototype and then changed the factory.

My thinking is the factory was charging more than what they wanted to pay and tried to find a cheaper factory... but with less quality. Look at their Picard... head sculpt is junk there too.

Poor form guys.

I'm really sad to admit this but looks like I'll be cancelling. The asking price is way too much for a figure to look that disappointing. I was really going the extra mile to get this figure too, so far as bracing myself to be taxed (I've never been taxed for a figure before). Judging by what Zod said, this is no way worth the money. :(

Jury is still out on what version is on display. Don't lose sight of how busy and hectic sdcc is for a company.

A could be scenario = a guy that doesn't work in the figure department was tasked with setting this display up and out of the many prototypes laying around he ended up grabbing a very rough one.

I'm not canceling until I know for sure.

Yeah something definitely got lost in translation. Although honestly, the outfit itself doesn't look that different to me. If the proportions look a bit off, it's probably only because the crotch-grabber is pulling the pants up too high. And frankly the outfit always looked a little bit simple and cheap to begin with, as others have liked to point out.

The problem this time is just with the much bigger and crappier head.

mal.jpg

Yea Dave...the figure at sdcc looks like the older first sculpt from trevor. Years ago.

Back