QMx: 1/6 Firefly - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, MarfMaster, for getting the word out here on the board for me while I was indisposed :yess:

So Marf pretty much summed it up, but here's a few more details on what's up with Mal:

We have two factories working on Mal – one that's just doing the body and one that's doing the finish work – clothes, accessories, hands, boots, etc. The good news is everything is going great at the body factory and they are pretty much done with their part. The issue has been with the second factory: After several attempts, we were just not happy with the consistency of quality we saw. It's really important that every Mal is at least as good and the reference sample and what we were finding was while some samples were good, some weren't. We weren't comfortable with what we considered a high scrap rate, and so after much debate, we decided to move to another factory for finish work.

The factory we left is actually someone who does work for a number of other high-end figure companies, so we had every reason to believe they could do the work satisfactorily. But whether it was the detail in the Mal pattern (lots of photo-etched bits) or they're just having a bad season, we couldn't take the chance that Mal would be anything less than awesome.

We spent the last several weeks looking at other factories, and got some timely advice from another high-end figure developer whose work we consider the gold standard in the business (you probably do, too). With that bit of extra help we were able to get into a factory that is producing excellent work – even better than the reference sample, in fact. So we have high hopes that with this partner in place, we will be delivering a Mal that is worthy of Captain Tightpants.

It is true this new factory is much more expensive. And that might force our prices up a bit on future figures. But for Mal, the price will remain unchanged. We made a promise to you all, and we will keep it.

The only reason I wasn't here earlier tell you what was up was I was waiting for a final sample so I could show you the finished product. Also, this board doesn't notify me when you guys post like some other boards do, so wasn't aware you were asking for an update until Marf pinged me last week. Sorry about that!

Thanks for the update Andy! I have a feeling I know the top company that is using the factory with inconsistent quality and the "gold standard" company who directed you to the new factory. Eagerly looking forward to seeing pictures of the first production samples.

Thank you for the update, sir! Much appreciated!

Any idea what the new timetable on Mal might be? Q4? Q1?

Also, when you say prices may be forced up a bit in the future ... can you gives us a ballpark? I'm in for the whole crew regardless, but I'm curious.

Thanks again for checking in with us! It's so great when companies come in and mix it up with us!

Thanks for the update Andy! I have a feeling I know the top company that is using the factory with inconsistent quality and the "gold standard" company who directed you to the new factory. Eagerly looking forward to seeing pictures of the first production samples.

And you'd probably be right :wink1: It won't be much of a mystery who that company that helped out is when you see them selling Mal :rotfl

Thank you for the update, sir! Much appreciated!

Any idea what the new timetable on Mal might be? Q4? Q1?

Also, when you say prices may be forced up a bit in the future ... can you gives us a ballpark? I'm in for the whole crew regardless, but I'm curious.

Thanks again for checking in with us! It's so great when companies come in and mix it up with us!

I'm not going to call a date until I see a final sample set that passes muster. But for now I'd say Q1 is safe and if we can make it happen quicker, we will.

Every figure will be different, but I'd imagine the price being in the ballpark of other premium figures. Maybe a little less as I'd still like to keep these as affordable as possible without compromising quality.

Smart move to make this first release as nice as possible - it sets the standard, the expectations, and the excitement for the rest!

Loving everything I've heard here. Thanks for the update, your priorities are solid as heck on Mal and we're lucky to have a beloved license being given respect (nevermind us as customers). Thanks a bunch.

I'd be receptive to a price increase. This is incredibly high on my wants list and I don't want someone to lose profits due to a factory's lack of class.

I'm glad we have QMxAndy here for the real info - or this update from Vantage Collectibles might have me worried -

"QMX sends word that they are still working to improve their Mal Sixth Scale Figure to exacting standards. They are moving production to a new facility that will provide a better quality product. As such, this will move the estimated release date back a few months to Q1 2105."

I'm glad we have QMxAndy here for the real info - or this update from Vantage Collectibles might have me worried -

"QMX sends word that they are still working to improve their Mal Sixth Scale Figure to exacting standards. They are moving production to a new facility that will provide a better quality product. As such, this will move the estimated release date back a few months to Q1 2105."
I'll be dead by then Dave! Ha ha

I really love and appriciate qmxandy's participation on this forum, I wish all companies would interact with collectors like this...

10388089_10154674386870582_1721832775594996796_n.jpg

Man, I didn't think I would want the polystones, but that's pretty amazing. Of course, the test is always the production piece.

Back