PS3 won't read discs

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marker2037

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Soooo my PS3 decided it doesn't want to read discs anymore last night. Blu-ray, games, nothing shows up in the system although it accepts discs and ejects discs without fault. I tried the system restore but that still hasn't fixed the problem. Anyone familiar with this happening? I read some fixes online, but they all seem to say that I need to send it out to Sony or take it apart and replace the laser.

This blows. Totally wasn't ready to purchase a new PS4 yet.

Soooo my PS3 decided it doesn't want to read discs anymore last night. Blu-ray, games, nothing shows up in the system although it accepts discs and ejects discs without fault. I tried the system restore but that still hasn't fixed the problem. Anyone familiar with this happening? I read some fixes online, but they all seem to say that I need to send it out to Sony or take it apart and replace the laser.

Did this happen after a recent System Update? It could just be the drive in which case you will have to get the optical lens serviced/aligned or the drive itself may need to be replaced. I have a 60gb and am up-to-date with the latest software and no problems reading discs.

Did this happen after a recent System Update? It could just be the drive in which case you will have to get the optical lens serviced/aligned or the drive itself may need to be replaced. I have a 60gb and am up-to-date with the latest software and no problems reading discs.

Nope no recent updates outside of maybe a few weeks ago.

Last weekend I watched 2 movies. Skyfall and Dredd. I noticed one time that when I put the movie in (couldn't remember which) it didn't show up so I turned off the PS3 then turned it back on. Movie shows up, no problems. Most of this week I've been watching Netflix on my PS3 and no movies until last night. I tried everything and nothing shows up. Games, blu-ray, dvd....none.

This just happened to me this week.:mad:

My blu-ray drive had been giving me some trouble. Not playing certain titles, etc. When I popped GTA V in it was a total mess---freezing and glitching every five minutes. Got the wild idea to turn the system sideways and put a fan directly on it. It's been going without a hitch. Worth a shot I guess. Hope it helps.

My PS3 only reads about half the blu rays anymore. And if the game is a blu ray it will probably not read either.

I'm not upset. It lasted about 7 years or more. Stuff breaks after time.

My Ps3 had the same problem a couple of years back. Unfortunatly you are going to have replace the laser.

Mine did this about 2 months ago. Was never anything but a weekend Bluray player and still did this. Won't be buying a PS4 or an Xbox1.

I fix blueray lasers. Theyre relatively ez to do. The part costs roughly $30-$40 and takes me about 20-30mins. Everyone on this particular thread needs a new one. If youre not that tech savvy you can purchase the whole drive for a little bit more. Its about 10 phillips screws on the case, 3 security torx, 3 phillips on the inside, and 2 snap in jumpers. This is the slim model. The fat is a little ezr maybe. Youtube is a well of good info, not just a place to chain vids when youre bored.

sent from a tormented past

Sounds like your blu ray lens is busted. Like CQC said, it's an easy fix if you can buy a replacement. People tend to neglect the importance of taking care of the lens and the gears/rails. Most of the time proper maintenance will prolong wear and tear.

Well, some games are wear whores on the drive too. There are games that run practically all the time right off the blueray, cod bo for instance murdered mine. But bethesda games run solely off of the hdd which causes horrible load times if you have an original ps3 with the 2700 or 5600rpm hdd. It really depends on what type of games you play and how frequently.

sent from a tormented past

My PS3 only reads about half the blu rays anymore. And if the game is a blu ray it will probably not read either.

I'm not upset. It lasted about 7 years or more. Stuff breaks after time.

What's your problem?! :mad:
This is totally unacceptable behavior! Why are you not throwing a tantrum, swearing, jumping up and down and flying off the handle?! :panic: :cuss

You are no longer welcome on these forums! :lecture :rotfl :lol

This happened to my slim nearly two years ago. It was having trouble reading Blu-ray Discs and PS3 games and it would take several tries to get them to work. It wasn't long until they wouldn't work at all. DVDs and CDs still worked fine. Luckily the warranty hadn't run out so I was able to send it in for a free fix, but was without my PS3 for a couple of months.

Have you tried switching hard drives? that happened to me before luckily it was just a bad HD issue

Back