Previews a bad Idea?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NASEDO

Super Freak
Reaction score
It seems since SS has giving us these previews every week, it just leads to the figures getting "mostly" picked apart. I still remember the non-preview days when the new stuff was in the news letter and than you order, and I actually prefer that. There is so much stuff coming out and keeping track at times and days can be a hassel. I'm NOT complaining, I just thought it was interesting on how much effect the previews have.

I thought the new Mace figure looked good until I read some complaints and my 1st thoughts on the figure have changed. The figures will eventually be judged, but it seems alot of the stuff has been getting bad reviews. Again this on not a complaint just an observation.

Maybe having to wait all this time to order, leads to the negative reviews. While when the items went up for preorder and people got them, they were happy they got the item leading to a more relexed review.:naughty

I find that I have to just NOT get caught up in the frenzy. The new Mace looks great to me but if I post something on that thread it'll get swallowed byt 136 other posts and a lot of it tend to be nit-picking. I'm not slighting those who get into it, just that if it ruins the experience for you just abstain. Keep perspective, these are action figures and they are some of the best pieces we have ever seen on the market.

Plus, message board posts seem to be mostly of the negative lean as well. I know I don't post a lot but what usually inspires me to post is when I do find something I DONT like rather than something I do. So for all the negative posts there are probably 10 positives that remain untyped simply because a good bit of us probably dont feel the need to post on and on about that.

That's how I look at it for the most part. I hope I made some sense.

With one pic of anything, look at it long enough and you will find everything that is wrong with it, even the nitpicks.

Add in Star Wars and you get that times 1000000. Yet most of these same people had no problems shelling out 20-30 bucks for Hasbro garbage.

I wish they would go back to like the did with Jedi Luke and just show a part of the body.

I do think it's getting a bit ridiculous. My first reaction to Mace was "WOW!" but even I, after seeing him get beat down in post after post, can start to question my own sanity for liking him so much.

Imagine someone new to SSC having the same "WOW" reaction and then seeing wave after wave of negativity - without knowing that:
-figures look better in person.
-pictures aren't always a great representation of the figures.
-SSC does make adjustments on production figures.

How would this new collector react? Run screaming away back to their Hasbro figures?

Darklord Dave said:
I do think it's getting a bit ridiculous. My first reaction to Mace was "WOW!" but even I, after seeing him get beat down in post after post, can start to question my own sanity for liking him so much.
I agree. I had the same "WOW!" reaction. Then reading post after post of criticism I found myself criticizing it! This is something I normally don't do.

I really don't think the SS artists get enough credit from us. A lot of time and effort is put into one of these pieces. How about appreciating it first before nitpicking it to death? It's just a thought.

I also thought Mace was amazing, and still do. I really dont know what the hell everyone is going crazy over. It looks exactly like him. so..so there!
Ok personally I love the previews, but it seems theres ALWAYS complaining! So its gets really frustrating. But I saw bring em on, those who dont like them, dont buy em.

I find that the negative is what people like to talk about. be it good or bad..I like the new Mace, keep in mind its still the "prodotype".......SS may do the previews for the negative reviews...they get an idea of what people are thinking...likes and dislikes..enough people bad mouth Hans eyebrows and they get changed...dont let others negative reviews affect yours...what you order is going in your home, your spending your money, and others opinions should not influence yours.......

I think the main reason reason why there seems to be a greater negative response to some of the previews sideshow has done, is because....if you are happy, you say nothing, (most of the time)....but, if you aren't happy, then, it's all guns blazing!!:google

Ask ANYONE in customer service....they will tell you the same thing.:peace

I think SS knows, by the fact of the way their products sell soooo well....that they are doing a pretty darn good job......99% of the time.:D

I say KEEP THE PREVIEWS....If it wasn't for them....half the threads here would be redundant!

I think SSC uses these previews as a means of communication with their fans. Personally, I like the previews, but I don't consider them a must. As a communications tool they are pretty powerful though. There is always a lot of reaction on the boards, whenever a new image is officially released or leaks.
There are very few companies out there dealing with customers/fans the way that SSC does. Although I'm not always happy about the SSC creations/politics, I give them a lot of credit for being as open and communicative as they are. They really listen to what we have to say! And I think that does not make it any easier for them. I guess part of the problem is that we, the customers/fans are really a bunch of spoiled brats! Some of us might have even lost their capability to relativize? Take a look around: how often do you see better 3D portraits done by other producers, compared to the sculpts done by the SSC artists? Not to often I think.
But even if constructive criticism is nice, I bet the SSC artists are rock hard enough to deal with what ever comments reach their ears, be it positive or negative, constructive or destructive. They know what they should take seriously, and what they should ignore.

I like having these preview pictures. It gets me excited (or not). And I am not capable of getting influenced into liking it more or less by comments made by others about how crap or good it looks. But I do find that there is alot of complaining lately. But please dont let that be a reason for stopping with the preview pics. I'm not gonna let a few bad apples spoil the basket...or whatever that proverb is :eek:

Also I have to say that with consistently negative reactions they may start to take the attitude of 'well, there's no pleasing them, so why try?" So when people equally criticize a home run (IMO) like Mace and something that may need work (like Frodo), it desensitizes them to legitimate comments.

Also I have to say that with consistently negative reactions they may start to take the attitude of 'well, there's no pleasing them, so why try?" So when people equally criticize a home run (IMO) like Mace and something that may need work (like Frodo), it desensitizes them to legitimate comments.

I agree.... I saw nothing really wrong with Mace, but after reading through all of the posts I could not help but start to look deeper into it. We are getting the best stuff out there, and SSC is doing a wonderful job with the sculpts and likenesses.

besides, many of our criticisms will die hard when we hold these things in our hands and bask in their coolness.

I remember being disappointed by the Jason Goes to Hell figure, but when my cancelled order came in accidentally... I could not help but keep it. And now it's grown on me to the point that I really like it.

And to my fellow Star Wars fans...please look back at your Hasbro figs or any other collectible that you have purchased for less than 60 bucks and tell me if you are getting better quality for your hard earned coin.... I bet you can't argue that you won't find much better. Every monkey faced Leia figure you ever bought and wished was more like Carrie Fisher in likeness will never compare to what we get from Sideshow's sculptors...

Me?.... I don't care.. these collectibles rock! I'll never bash them for anything but a blantant mistake... (like Han's eye color..:D) And even then, I'll be gentle and appreciative.

As for the previews... I like em and I think that they do good things for the production team. WE are the problem, we've got to be a little more civil about these things...:cool:

If Sideshow didn't post previews, people would still tear apart the pieces based upon the pictures on the ordering page, which would lead to cancelations after the edition size has been set, causing devaluation of the pieces.

So, in short, previews getting trashed lead to lower edition sizes, making those who want the item anyway happier.

moebius9 said:
Plus, message board posts seem to be mostly of the negative lean as well. I know I don't post a lot but what usually inspires me to post is when I do find something I DONT like rather than something I do. So for all the negative posts there are probably 10 positives that remain untyped simply because a good bit of us probably dont feel the need to post on and on about that.

That's how I look at it for the most part. I hope I made some sense.

Exactly! You also get called asskisser, buttkisser, etc. Because you choose to be happy about things instead of leaning towards the negative.

Darklord Dave said:

Imagine someone new to SSC having the same "WOW" reaction and then seeing wave after wave of negativity - without knowing that:
-figures look better in person.
-pictures aren't always a great representation of the figures.
-SSC does make adjustments on production figures.

How would this new collector react? Run screaming away back to their Hasbro figures?

My opinion doesn't change based on the negatives but it does take some of the enjoyment out when your criticized for liking something. Your told as I said your an asskisser or your blind love to SS makes you think it's a good piece. I think all the negative posts like you Dave are getting way out of hand and we are getting members who just want to be negative.

Back