Poll: Should religion/politics be discussed on a toy forum?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should religion/plotics be discussed on a toy forum

• No, this is not the appropriate forum

Votes: 29 48.3%
  • Yes, it is a discussion board afterall

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • I don't care either way

Votes: 19 31.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Make it a section where if you want in you Pm a MOD and they decide if your in or out, and if you get in its cut and dry rules one rule broken your out for good. just a thought.

If you can express yourself without insulting or belittling another you are being civil.

Unfortunately, that's part of the problem. If someone (and I'm not singling anyone out here) believes their position or their subject matter knowledge to be superior to those of other posters, they tend to appear arrogant and condescending, and to belittle the opinions of others. And they may not even realize they are doing it.

If you can express yourself without insulting or belittling another you are being civil.

I agree. But then I made a very civil post in the 9/11 thread and it created quite a ruckus. We even had calls for deletions and personal criticism that somehow escaped moderator admonishment despite Dave's stated "zero tolerance" policy.

So I think we need a fair way to define infractions and even-handed moderation. We haven't seen much sign of either of those things, and with respect the moderators can't even seem to agree whether to keep certain threads locked or unlocked; other threads are being locked despite the last several pages remaining civil and so forth.

As it happens I agree these threads should be subject to rules and oversight. I just wonder how we even get to that point on a fair and reasonable basis.

I agree. But then I made a very civil post in the 9/11 thread and it created quite a ruckus. We even had calls for deletions and personal criticism that somehow escaped moderator admonishment despite Dave's stated "zero tolerance" policy.

What you failed to realize in that thread is that the definition of civility is not solely the province of the person who is speaking. You may have considered your post to be civil, but it is clear that many others did not.

barbelith you know for a toy board you seem very much to only post in these political threads....why are you here???...do like any toys?....or are you here to just stir the pot?

Just curious.

What you failed to realize in that thread is that the definition of civility is not solely the province of the person who is speaking. You may have considered your post to be civil, but it is clear that many others did not.

Right. Hence the problem with setting up guidelines.

Again, you were being civil, but you weren't being tactful.

The 9/11 thread is about remembering a terrible day and the lives that were snuffed out. It was not a forum for political discussion. That is what angered people about barbelith's post in there, and rightly so.

Right. Hence the problem with setting up guidelines.

It isn't really the problem you make it out to be. The decisions of the moderators may seem arbitrary, they may even be arbitrary, but if they succeed in "keeping the peace", then they are working.

And, ultimately, this is forum is not a democracy. If the mods establish guidelines, we are bound to either follow them, or risk the consequential disciplinary action.

i don't see why we can't discuss politics and religion calmly and rationally.

oh, wait...these are the Freaks. :D :lol

my vote is YES.

barbelith you know for a toy board you seem very much to only post in these political threads...

I post in several other sections but I'm not a big fan of the silly "my tracking number says my doll is two days away!" sort of posts. So a lot of reading and then asking questions or offering an opinion. I don't think the toy section really opens itself up for meaningful discussion unless you wind up with an Alien Kane situation. There's only so much to say about the Hot Toys Prison Break dolls.

Whereas the politics and movie threads provide a venue for conversation that isn't served by posting once every few days. So when an interesting thread emerges you sort of check up on it throughout the day so you can keep current in the discussion. It's just one of those "nature of the beast" things.

The 9/11 thread is about remembering a terrible day and the lives that were snuffed out. It was not a forum for political discussion. That is what angered people about barbelith's post in there, and rightly so.

Actually this was the first post in that thread ...

GOD BLESS AMERICA :flag

Doesn't seem to be specifically guided towards just remembering at all. Seems open for discussion to me.

Also Rory, you neglected to quote any of his other posts which make it quite clear what the purpose of his thread was.

I guess from now on i'll describe what i'm talking about in real clear easy to understand words for you El. :rolleyes:

And again I disagree. I had a valid opinion that was expressed with tact and did not challenge any of the posters who held different opinions. That's why drafting these sort of guidelines is a challenge.

The 9/11 thread is about remembering a terrible day and the lives that were snuffed out. It was not a forum for political discussion.

Every post that said God Bless America or Never Forget or just showed a picture of the flag was a political message. It was only later that people began posting remembrances of the day and how it affected them personally. And where was it posted that the thread was "about remembering a terrible day and the lives that were snuffed out?" Not in the title. Not in the opening post. Is there a thread summary somewhere that I missed?

My point is not to have an argument about what happened in that thread but rather to show how complicated establishing these sort of rules are. Maybe we should have thread abstracts saying what is an isn't permitted. I don't know.

It isn't really the problem you make it out to be.

It's only a problem if we go through the motions of a fair and reasoned guidebook. I have no problem with the moderators saying point blank "this is a dictatorship." But say that and don't pretend there's anything else going on. In many ways I think that's the only solution, to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back