Poll: Should religion/politics be discussed on a toy forum?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should religion/plotics be discussed on a toy forum

• No, this is not the appropriate forum

Votes: 29 48.3%
  • Yes, it is a discussion board afterall

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • I don't care either way

Votes: 19 31.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd rather don't have people discuss things of political/religious nature here. But, do whatever you think you must. I always avoid these threads: I'm afraid I don't like some of you anymore after I know what you are really about.

The problem with religious/political discussion threads is that they're never discussions. It's always just one side trying to shout down the other. Always. It's never about a rational and non-judgmental exchange of ideas.

Yep. In fact hilariously one of the recent muckraking threads immediately died out when I proposed working together to find common ground and achieve synthesis.

I enjoy participating in these threads but they're not really necessary on a toy forum. We can always shout at each other about Hot Toys vs Sideshow instead. :lol

I'd like to think that this is more than a "toy forum". I'd like to think that it's a community of people that share a common interest.

Many relationships have been formed here and life-long bonds have been developed. There ought to be an ability for a community to function in every aspect, not just in the one interest that everyone who visits here shares. That's why there is an "Other" forum. We should be able to discuss whatever interests us without people getting insulting.

I think if we lost the Other forums, then a lot of the appeal of visiting the board would disappear. However it does seem that the extremes have a difficult time discussing politics (and religion) without it degenerating into name calling. I'd like to see more debate on these topics and that's why the 2 recent threads lasted as long as they did, but ultimately it seems that it's not going to be possible.

Whats disheartening is you can post either the stupidest argument or the smartest argument and they're usually weighted the same by the other side.

So usually I just cut out the hard work and post a stupid argument.

I think if we lost the Other forums, then a lot of the appeal of visiting the board would disappear.

I disagree. If the members lost their appeal because the Other Forum is gone and cannot further discuss about Religion or Politics or what not, then they should not be here in the first place.

I don't care either way as long Aliens aren't the source of all that which is evil. :horror:D

I disagree. If the members lost their appeal because the Other Forum is gone and cannot further discuss about Religion or Politics or what not, then they should not be here in the first place.

LOL. While I can't fully back you, I do think we have a few people with like 99% posts in noncollectible discussions that I question the motivation to be here.

I think I agree with Dave on this one... you would get bored with steak if all you ever had to eat was steak. Same for discussion... we love toys and collectibles, but it is just natural to want to talk about other things sometimes... and if we could learn to do it in civilized, intelligent ways without resorting to insults or arguments, then there would be no problems at all and this poll wouldn't even be necessary.

Most of my family and I disagree on politics. I've learned that it is impossible to have a reasonable discussion with them about it. My grandmother even cried when I didn't agree with some of her rather extreme views on religion and politics - so I learned to just nod my head and smile and keep my opinions to myself because it really was pointless trying to discuss anything with them. They are set in their ways and want to believe what they want...any ideas that differ can be nothing but lies and brainwashing. I enjoy reading about politics/religion - hearing about others viewpoints - that often times leads me to question my own viewpoints and motivates me to do a little more research. If this place could offer that, it would be a great tool. But it tends to remind me too much of why I don't discuss this stuff with my family - which is why I won't post who I'm voting for or my beliefs on this forum.

I love the OT section but it doesn't have to be McCain this, God that to be an enriching section.

No matter how good natured and civil a political/religious discussion is it always ends up disintegrating thanks to a few people. Maybe we should place limitations on folk if they can't be civil? Like if you have an infraction you can't enter the OT section for "x" amount of days?

I think I agree with Dave on this one... you would get bored with steak if all you ever had to eat was steak. Same for discussion... we love toys and collectibles, but it is just natural to want to talk about other things sometimes... and if we could learn to do it in civilized, intelligent ways without resorting to insults or arguments, then there would be no problems at all and this poll wouldn't even be necessary.

Exactly. But this will never happen. Ever. So it either has to be tolerated, policed heavily at the mods discretion (which isn't all that consistent:monkey3) or shut down all together.

As long as it stays out of the other areas of the board, I'll be happy...

In fact, why not have a subforum for it?

EDIT: Come to think of it, that's a really bad idea...

I don't think they should be here but like a few others have said I will never post my opinion in one. I have made a few generalization comments but I know better than to discuss those 2 subjects in detail with people.

Anyone who doesn't register their political affiliation and religious beliefs should be kicked out.

I think everyone should make it known under their avatar much like jesseawilson

Maybe we should place limitations on folk if they can't be civil? Like if you have an infraction you can't enter the OT section for "x" amount of days?

How do we define civility - especially in a fair manner that can be applied to everyone without having moderators gloss over favored posters or opinions they happen to agree with?

How do we define civility - especially in a fair manner that can be applied to everyone without having moderators gloss over favored posters or opinions they happen to agree with?

I think you should be the measuring stick or warrioface...:D

If you can express yourself without insulting or belittling another you are being civil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back