Plinkett's Episode 3 review!!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul Hirsch, Marcia Lucas and Richard Chew did the final edits of Star Wars.

How did you approach the task of editing the first Star Wars movie?

I was given a scene to re-cut, the robot auction where Luke's uncle buys R2-D2 and C-3PO, and changed it to more closely match my sensibility. George liked my work, so I went on to the next. Richard Chew would be working on one reel, and I would leap-frog onto the next and so on. Marcia was buried in assembling the end battle.

How did George Lucas and Gary Kurtz ‘direct’ you? Did they have specific requests or guidelines?

Gary was not involved in aesthetic editorial decisions. George basically let me do my thing with each scene, and then would give me notes. And he consulted very closely with Marcia of course. And then at a certain point, he decided he preferred working with just one editor, and chose me to finish the film. I was the only editor on the picture over the last 5 months

Paul Hirsch, Marcia Lucas and Richard Chew did the final edits of Star Wars.

This would've come after Chew's edit. There's a detailed account in Skywalking or whatever George's biography's called. I distinctly remember reading that George was unhappy with the flow/timing, so he and his wife recut/re-edited the film before turning it in.

I'm an Original Trilogy purist but I have to admit, I've got a soft spot for The Phantom Menace, even if it is a "bad" film.

I loved the music, the lightsaber fight, Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon and Darth Maul. It was a return to Star Wars for me, a really fun time. It also had arguably the best merchandising for the prequel films. The marketing and collecting aspect was exciting. I really don't have a problem with it, and I still get these "nostalgic" feelings like I have with Star Wars and Empire. Speaking of which, other than making Anakin a child and Yoda, The Phantom Menace didn't really piss on the original films. There was nothing offensive about it, and it didn't mess with the continuity or canon like AOTC and ROTS did.

Don't get me started on Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith though, I hate those pieces of ____. The big draw for ROTS was "OMG LAST STAH WAHS FILM" and I'll admit, I bought into it. Now? That's a different story. I'll never watch them again. Bad acting, lame choices, awful films. That and they ____ all over Boba Fett, Stormtroopers, Darth Vader, Chewbacca and important plot points of the originals. I'll give a nod to Ewan's portrayal of Kenobi in TPM and ROTS (not AOTC, only Obi-Wan that I don't like) and maybe Palpatine even if he did come off as too much of a cackling ____ sucker.

I never thought about it but I really like the films in the order they were released in. With the first two being interchangeable in first and second place and the last two being interchangeable in 5th and last.

Last edited:
I saw TPM 9 times in the theater. I was also a pot smoking stoner back then. I wonder if it was the drugs that made me like it!!:rotfl (but no amount of herb could make me like the films that followed.. TPM seems different somehow. Some real sets props/Locations? As opposed to all out CGI?)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/LDCjIjsZp_Y?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/LDCjIjsZp_Y?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<EMBED height=385 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=480 src=https://www.youtube.com/v/LDCjIjsZp_Y?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

LOL, "Well here's a bag of rock salt" - priceless.

Liked his Ep I and II review. Only thing I hope is that he isn't doing so much of the "kidnapper" thing. At first it was fun, but after 20 minutes it's getting irritating :monkey1

He is talking about the Review coming out soon.

I look forward to the review.

Can't wait for the review! It's funny because from the image of the video, you think he's going to review the dark knight. The phantom menace review is probably the most entertaining, no to mention insightful review I have ever seen. The only guy that comes close is the moviepreviewcritic.

I watched the first two and was laughing so hard at the beginning of the first, then I got sads because he's so right. But I still chuckle.

Man do I hate the prequels.

Back