Photoshop Image Quality Help

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chapter 2099

Super Freak
Reaction score
When I convert a .psd file to a .jpg or other file, I've noticed that the quality of the .psd is far superior to the final product (ie. the .jpg.) Can someone help me figure out why this occurs?

When I go to use the 'Save for Web' option, I always try to max out the quality options, but it never looks as good as the .psd file. I've googled it and still can't figure it out. :lol

Save for Web actually compresses the image and therefore its quality. Export the image as a .jpg and be sure that the resolution is 150dpi(px) or more. 300px could be to much if you are not looking to print the image but it will look good.

Save for Web actually compresses the image and therefore its quality. Export the image as a .jpg and be sure that the resolution is 150dpi(px) or more. 300px could be to much if you are not looking to print the image but it will look good.

That's what I need to know!!! Thank you!! I'll give this is a shot right now. BRB.

Need help again. (PS novice here.) How do I export the image as a .jpg? (I've only ever used 'Save for Web'). When I go to export it, using 'Export', I only get "Paths to Illustrator" and "Zoomify."

Under 'file' choose "save as". choose jpg from the drop down menu at the bottom of the window. Name it and hit 'Save". Then in the next window choose max quality and baseline ("standard") under format options.

Cheers!

Instead I 'saved as' and saved it as a .jpeg. Then maximized the image quality in the 'jpeg options' to 12. But it still looks the same as when I used the 'Save for Web' option - ie. still looks like crap compared to the .psd.

Under 'file' choose "save as". choose jpg from the drop down menu at the bottom of the window. Name it and hit 'Save". Then in the next window choose max quality and baseline ("standard") under format options.

Cheers!

Hey, did that. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Hmmmm.

So here's the other thing that may actually be the 'problem' (bear with me here with the lingo) - When I'm viewing the image in PS at 100%, it's really small (the quality looks great though). When I open the jpg elsewhere, the image is much bigger and the quality looks worse. I get that making the image bigger loses the quality, but why does PS say the image is already seen in a 1:1 size when it's really not?

Does that make sense? When I change the zoom to 200% in PS, that's the actual size of the image.

The image in question here is my signature. The image is 850x150, but when viewed in PS at 100%, it's about 5 times smaller as you see it here. Why would that be?

Interestingly enough, when you save it and open it elsewhere (ie. in another program), it opens to the size that you see on the page here, but the quality is much worse.

The size does not nessesary reflects the quality. When you go to image/scale/ how much is the resolution at? PS 100% is the "real" size. I guess when you open it with other program it tries to zoom it and therefore distords the quality.
Try this: First save as a new document (so you dont mess the original file) then go to layer/flatten image. Finally, as other Freak already explained, go to Save as/choose .jpg and use maximum quality. If it does not work I guess your original file is in low quality.

A couple things to check:

- make sure that your color space is set in RGB (Image/Mode/RGB)
- make sure that your image size is at 850x150 & 72 Pixels/Inch (Image/Image Size)
- when saving for web make sure you have JPEG High selected with 100% quality, Progressive is unchecked, Optimized is checked and Blur is set to 0.
- in the save for web window you can change the view tabs between Original and Optimized to view changes in compression just to be sure
- Save

If things get to be too much then create a new document with these specifications and drop your other image into it. Let me know if your image still comes out funky.

Use Save As, JPG, Optimized, quality setting at 10 and it should still look pretty great at a reasonable file size.

DPI does not matter, that only matters for print. Certain software programs might size the image based off the DPI, but for most cases since the screen dimensions are unknown it won't make a difference, only thing that would matter is the pixel resolution.

The size does not nessesary reflects the quality. When you go to image/scale/ how much is the resolution at? PS 100% is the "real" size. I guess when you open it with other program it tries to zoom it and therefore distords the quality.
Try this: First save as a new document (so you dont mess the original file) then go to layer/flatten image. Finally, as other Freak already explained, go to Save as/choose .jpg and use maximum quality. If it does not work I guess your original file is in low quality.

But when I create the new document/project in PS, I set it to 850 x 150 pixels. The size should look like what you see on the boards, but in PS at 100% it's showing it at 1/2 the size. That's what I can't figure out. And at that size, even though small, the quality/sharpness looks great. Then when I save it and preview it on the web, it's 2x larger (as you see it on the boards) and there's some loss of quality/sharpness.

A couple things to check:

- make sure that your color space is set in RGB (Image/Mode/RGB)
- make sure that your image size is at 850x150 & 72 Pixels/Inch (Image/Image Size)
- when saving for web make sure you have JPEG High selected with 100% quality, Progressive is unchecked, Optimized is checked and Blur is set to 0.
- in the save for web window you can change the view tabs between Original and Optimized to view changes in compression just to be sure
- Save

If things get to be too much then create a new document with these specifications and drop your other image into it. Let me know if your image still comes out funky.

I double checked all of it and I'm still getting the same result. It's weird because it was never like this before. I don't know if I clicked something along the way, but everything at 100% is WAY smaller than what 100% is actually like when it's saved for the web, as you see it here. I'm thinking that's why the quality is different.

Heh, I wrote all that without checking out the signature image that you were working on. The file displays fine for me but here's a version with a slightly less-compressed image of the Flash. Let me know if it works for you.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9KGQYwaFkaobERFRlBiWTFxZEE/view?usp=sharing

That looks better, IMO. But again, the PSD that I have looks better, but it won't 'translate' to the jpeg.

Use Save As, JPG, Optimized, quality setting at 10 and it should still look pretty great at a reasonable file size.

DPI does not matter, that only matters for print. Certain software programs might size the image based off the DPI, but for most cases since the screen dimensions are unknown it won't make a difference, only thing that would matter is the pixel resolution.

Good to know. I'll try this again and keep you guys updated.

Back