PC Gaming

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the reply. I figured that about the cooling system :lol. Guess I'll keep looking around.

Have you thought about just buying parts and building one? Your going to get a much better computer for about the same price that way.

Yeah, that seems like the best option right now. Guess I'll give it a shot.

Sooooo worth it. My graphics card will arrive tomorrow and will finish me up on my new build. I love it and had a great time putting it together and learning (I think reading the manual for the motherboard from cover to cover is the first manual I've ever read for anything and it answered almost every question I had in putting the PC together). Deciding on parts is the hardest part.

Yeah, that seems like the best option right now. Guess I'll give it a shot.

Yeah it's probably the best thing to do. What I usually notice on pre built systems is they over price them and give you ****ty parts. I was looking at a "gaming" computer earlier for around 800 bucks yet it ran a intergrated graphics chip. Which makes no sense what so ever. If you need help picking out parts I'm sure alot of people can help on here.

Guys, I'd appreciate some advice. I currently have about $700 to work with and I'm looking around for a new gaming desktop. I have a four-year-old dual-core Gateway laptop that has served me well for games like Skyrim and Portal 2, but I need something with a lot more punch for newer games. Tiger Direct currently has a few budget line PCs, and I came across this one:

https://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4990118

For $700, you can probably get an i7, 8gb ram, and a mid end graphics card. Or go with an i5 and use the extra money on a high end card for gaming.

-

For $700, you can probably get an i7, 8gb ram, and a mid end graphics card. Or go with an i5 and use the extra money on a high end card for gaming.

-

That is exactly what I did. I picked up the i5 3570 and spent the extra money on a better graphics card.

-

He needs to have money for a case, motherboard, power supply, hard drive, optical drive and OS too though.

Last edited:
He needs to have money for a case, motherboard, power supply, optical drive and OS too though.

When he said high end I don't think he meant high end. High end to me is a titan. If he went with say 7870 or a 660 he could easily have a computer built for around 700-800. Especially if he catches deals on parts. Like I got the i5 3570k plus a pretty good ASUS mobo for less than 300 in a bundle when it was on sale.

I'm getting ready to re-enter PC gaming after a 15 year break due to 2 games. I'm saving money for a beast to play Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen

It will be at least an i7 with titan card ....or whatever upgraded versions are available in one years time (Elite Dangerous is 1yr away exactly)

I was reminded very clearly this week I am a PC gamer noob.....some basic specs: AMD quad core, 8gig ram using Directx11 etc...not top top of the line, but very very decent, anyways, downloaded Slender: 8 pages - a free, 100 MB file - played it when I first got the system set up and it ran very well - its a simple game

7 days later, went to play it and it ran very, very sluggish

Only thing I can think of - updating drivers has caused some kind of conflict.....playing Witcher 1 and it runs great. Playing Slender: arrival (which is a lot more graphically intense than first Slender), and all run well

Weird.....!

I'm not entirely sure what to do... my 3 year old i7 930 6GB/Ati 5850 rig is still really good but I wonder if it'd be time to upgrade when Haswell is released in June.

The only time my PC gives me problems is in the summer, I can feel the heat against my face(PC is on my desk like 12 inches away from me, lol)

Some games allow you to enable FPS on screen... I use MSi Afterburner when the game doesn't though. :)

Personally when I build my PC I would budget around $2000 if I needed everything (case, monitor, speakers, mice....).
If not most of my upgrades include core components such as GC, PCU, PSU, MB, RAM and HDD and I budget around ~1,000-1,500 depending on mid or high end.

Personally when I build my PC I would budget around $2000 if I needed everything (case, monitor, speakers, mice....).
If not most of my upgrades include core components such as GC, PCU, PSU, MB, RAM and HDD and I budget around ~1,000-1,500 depending on mid or high end.

Honestly even if you needed everything 2k is quite a bit unless you are going top of the line on everything. I'm pretty happy with mid end gaming. I'm not a graphics whore like most PC players, but I do enjoy when a game looks great don't get me wrong. That being said if I wasn't buying a engangement ring here in the next couple of months you better believe I would have went all out :lol

Back