PC Gaming

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Witcher 2 I believe is usually at like 75% off during their big sales. Don't quote me on that I just know that I got it cheaper than the 9.99 . So if you can hold off you will save a few dollars.

I picked up a Mayflash converter the other day that allows me to use my Saturn controller for the PC. The thing works like a charm with no problems at all. Played Street Fighter x Tekken last night and it is SOOOOO nice to play with a good D-pad and a 6-button layout!!

Now I'm looking in to expanding my MAME library. :)

Witcher 2 I believe is usually at like 75% off during their big sales. Don't quote me on that I just know that I got it cheaper than the 9.99 . So if you can hold off you will save a few dollars.

I'm currently playing it right now and though I'm able to play with most everything on high because I upgraded my GC in 2011 I'm starting to feel the stretch of the core of my 2008 PC.

At times I can here the HDD really working hard and my 4GB of RAM are barely enough when I try to Alt-Tab and such joyous thing (takes a good long time to relocate memory to browser and desktop).

I think I may have to upgrade around the end of the year.

I'm currently playing it right now and though I'm able to play with most everything on high because I upgraded my GC in 2011 I'm starting to feel the stretch of the core of my 2008 PC.

At times I can here the HDD really working hard and my 4GB of RAM are barely enough when I try to Alt-Tab and such joyous thing (takes a good long time to relocate memory to browser and desktop).

I think I may have to upgrade around the end of the year.

Yeah Witcher 2 is a pretty demanding game. If your looking for a good cpu that is not a I7 go with the I5 3570 k hell of a cpu.

Yeah Witcher 2 is a pretty demanding game. If your looking for a good cpu that is not a I7 go with the I5 3570 k hell of a cpu.

I'll do some research once I'm ready to upgrade. Right now I have:

Mother Board: Gigabyte EP35-DS3L
Processor: Intel Wolfdale e8400
Video Card: MSI R6850 1GB VRAM Cyclone PE
PSU: Corsair HX620W
RAM: G.Skill 2x2Gb DDR2 800
HDD: Samsung F1 750GB

I'll do some research once I'm ready to upgrade. Right now I have:

Mother Board: Gigabyte EP35-DS3L
Processor: Intel Wolfdale e8400
Video Card: MSI R6850 1GB VRAM Cyclone PE
PSU: Corsair HX620W
RAM: G.Skill 2x2Gb DDR2 800
HDD: Samsung F1 750GB

Yeah def looks like its time for an upgrade! I had way worse specs than you before I just upgraded. Running only 2gb of ram, dual core amd 6400+ I believe? Still had a 8800 gt as well in their :lol It was like night and day when I upgraded.

I usually upgrade every other cycle, so next time will probably be around the Geforce 700 series and Ivy Bridge-E processors. Haven't really done hard tests on the current system though outside of games. I use it for 3D work so it's much more than games need but I don't work that much at home since I'm tired from working during the day.

i remember the old days when i was still young and stupid :) custom built those monster computers with expensive lian li cases, special cooling fans that looked like from the matrix movie set and giant power supply etc.. for bragging rights. Spending hours figuring out the jumpers and clock speed/ratio settings (back then the motherboards are nowhere as easy to setup as nowadays, you need to set all that **** up manually). The thing sure is powerful but also sounded like a vacuum with led lights and wires going all over the place.

But as i get older my taste changed, now i just have a 27" iMac with a single wire to the wall socket. Big beautiful screen, super quiet, and very clean to look at. The funny thing most people dont realize is it's also a pretty powerful gaming rig, it's a miracle of engineering done by apple - to fit a 2gb geforce gtx 675mx chip, i7 cpu and ssd all inside the monitor. I can run any game on it at max setting without issues in windows 7 mode, yet do all my other work using the much more elegant mac osx without ever having to deal with microsoft crap or virus. Not to mention fully synced with my iphone and ipad. Sure the game may have 35 fps at max setting vs 50 fps from a custom pc but who really cares, it made very little difference in the real world once you go above 25 fps.

Cant imagine myself ever going back to the old days of those giant pc boom boxes that can also substitute as a heater in the winter.

-------------------------------
Just finished the new xcom, as a standalone game it was fine, but was such a big disappointment coming from the original. It captured some of the mechanics but not the soul of the original game. All you do is push forward linearly on a small map, there is very little suspense and the nervous feel as you search house to house for that 1-2 sneaky bastards like in the original - you know exactly where the aliens will be in the new version. Nor does it have any of the original's ai, those aliens are retarded once you made a few key tech upgrades.

The game was such a big let down as i had very high expectations from all those promos about trying to keep it true to the original. Havent played a game since, really slim picking right now. Maybe the new lara croft after it goes into the bargain bin in a month or two...

also blizzard and starcraft can go ****** themselves, bad enough to break up a game storyline into 3 games, you then force the fans to wait 2 years for the next chapter, which is nothing more than some cgi and few extra units. So done with this game, dont even remember the story and not buying the other chapters.

Diablo 3 was fine, but nothing left to do, did make close to $1000 though selling random crap picked up in the game(didnt even try to farm), in their real money auction(wtf in their right mind will pay $200 for a virtual weapon? i guess those guys will say wtf will pay $400 for a statue? so all fair) , but not sure how to get the money out as blizzard doesnt let you transfer out the money.

/random rant off

Last edited:
I need the power so Mac isn't an option. BTW funny thing--take a look at their description for the Mac Pro, it's so out of date it's hilarious.

I will always like Starcraft, I'm fine with them having the 3 parts, the single player is just fine, but I'm a bit disappointed they are hardly doing any changes to multiplayer, they had shown a several new units which wasn't much in the first place and then cut it back from there.

I need the power so Mac isn't an option. BTW funny thing--take a look at their description for the Mac Pro, it's so out of date it's hilarious.

I will always like Starcraft, I'm fine with them having the 3 parts, the single player is just fine, but I'm a bit disappointed they are hardly doing any changes to multiplayer, they had shown a several new units which wasn't much in the first place and then cut it back from there.

But that's the thing ppl dont realize, the new iMac is a powerful rig, just curious what you are trying to run?

I agree the Mac Pro is a joke and have been for few years they are supposedly coming out with new version this year.

3ds Max, needs as much processing power as possible. Also have 2 GTX 580's in there for iRay rendering, and tons of RAM, one of my 3D scenes uses 9GB to render, and I've done some 3D slicing (for printing) that has used 16GB.

Yeah def looks like its time for an upgrade! I had way worse specs than you before I just upgraded. Running only 2gb of ram, dual core amd 6400+ I believe? Still had a 8800 gt as well in their :lol It was like night and day when I upgraded.

Haha I used to have a 8800GTS as well but it dies on me so I had to change it to the ATI 6850 in March 2011. That really helped stretch my build's life. But I can feel the HDD and RAM need some help. Plus I could use a good format!

i remember the old days when i was still young and stupid :) custom built those monster computers with expensive lian li cases, special cooling fans that looked like from the matrix movie set and giant power supply etc.. for bragging rights. Spending hours figuring out the jumpers and clock speed/ratio settings (back then the motherboards are nowhere as easy to setup as nowadays, you need to set all that **** up manually). The thing sure is powerful but also sounded like a vacuum with led lights and wires going all over the place.

But as i get older my taste changed, now i just have a 27" iMac with a single wire to the wall socket. Big beautiful screen, super quiet, and very clean to look at. The funny thing most people dont realize is it's also a pretty powerful gaming rig, it's a miracle of engineering done by apple - to fit a 2gb geforce gtx 675mx chip, i7 cpu and ssd all inside the monitor. I can run any game on it at max setting without issues in windows 7 mode, yet do all my other work using the much more elegant mac osx without ever having to deal with microsoft crap or virus. Not to mention fully synced with my iphone and ipad. Sure the game may have 35 fps at max setting vs 50 fps from a custom pc but who really cares, it made very little difference in the real world once you go above 25 fps.

Cant imagine myself ever going back to the old days of those giant pc boom boxes that can also substitute as a heater in the winter.

I still have my LianLi case :lol
While I agree with you that Mac can run games no problems mostly with Parallels or Bootcamp the problem is that for the price of a Mac I could build either a monstrous PC or 2 very decent ones. I've often debated switching to mac but it's the price that kills me and I like tweaking stuff, I feel the Mac is very counter-intuitive at times.

Haha I used to have a 8800GTS as well but it dies on me so I had to change it to the ATI 6850 in March 2011. That really helped stretch my build's life. But I can feel the HDD and RAM need some help. Plus I could use a good format!

I still have my LianLi case :lol
While I agree with you that Mac can run games no problems mostly with Parallels or Bootcamp the problem is that for the price of a Mac I could build either a monstrous PC or 2 very decent ones. I've often debated switching to mac but it's the price that kills me and I like tweaking stuff, I feel the Mac is very counter-intuitive at times.

This ^^ I love when my buddies brag about their new mac laptop and I'm thinking about how much they actually had to pay and how ****ty their specs are.

Getting Heart of the Swarm when it drops? I can't wait! I didn't preorder the collectors edition, but if Bestbuy has it I'll probably pick it up. Thats what I did with the first one.

Guys, I'd appreciate some advice. I currently have about $700 to work with and I'm looking around for a new gaming desktop. I have a four-year-old dual-core Gateway laptop that has served me well for games like Skyrim and Portal 2, but I need something with a lot more punch for newer games. Tiger Direct currently has a few budget line PCs, and I came across this one:

https://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4990118

The price looks somewhat decent, but will the Intel i3-3220 be able to handle the graphical demands of games like Crysis 3 (not on Ultra setting, but on medium to high settings)? Also, given the specifications of that particular desktop, is liquid cooling really necessary - or did they just throw it in there for the sake of increasing the price a bit?

Thanks for the reply. I figured that about the cooling system :lol. Guess I'll keep looking around.

Back