Statue Pacific Rim - Slattern

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had the chance to Film this piece at my LCS and the 2 things that stand out are The Amazing Sculpt! its is really awesome! Second the Crappy Paint apps from China.

Had the chance to Film this piece at my LCS and the 2 things that stand out are The Amazing Sculpt! its is really awesome! Second the Crappy Paint apps from China.

Thanks, great Video review p!tu. :clap

I love my Slattern ...after fixing the paint app a bit. :wink1:

27062014878.jpg~original

:wave

Thanks for the review, yeah that paint app needs some love. I had no idea how big he was.

Just got mine and i gotta say it's really great.

Size and overall presence is really nice.

Light up is really excellent, though i would have killed for it to go through his entire body.

As for the paints i don't think they are as bad as people have made out, from 2 feet away he looks just awesome.

A little closer and it's again not bad, it's certainly not enought to ruin the statue imo. The worst thing about the paint is the how flat it is, it would have benefited from a coat of clear coat to give it that shine and wet look, and that's exactly what i am gonna do with mine.

Also the hand on the rock, once seen can never be unseen! So i'm gonna paint that aswell, luckily it's a really small area.

I asked 6 people so far to find the "mistake" refering tot he rock/hand and not one of them saw it lol.

Phone pic. Will do proper pics once i do bit of painting on him :)

IMG_20141106_133923_490_zpshibiqvgu.jpg

I got mine in from the Spook deal! I must say he is such an AMAZING sculpt in person. The details in his skin, and scales is amazing, I also love the base he is sitting on. The paint like most have said really could have used more some love, I only did a quick look over for MAJOR defects which thankfully I did not see any. I do not feel that the paint is as sloppy as some make it sound, at least not on mine.

They did a nice job of staying in the lines, and it really only has a few minor issues where paint bleeds into areas it should not. The biggest problem I have it obviously the hand holding the rock......it is just so obviously not a part of his hand, but they just slapped skin paint on it to save time. The second problem I have is the tentacle like things coming off his back. They are pretty well done until you see that they ALL have blue tips like they were dipped into the paint.

I also wish they would have given him a nice brown/tan wash that settles in ALL the small details/grooves of his scales to make the skin tone they chose POP more, and it would also help to blend in the HEAVY dark brown they used for his markings.

He weighs a good bit which is nice if you like some statues with some heft to them! He is kind of difficult to get on the base, but if you just take it slow he will eventually slide right on.

The only REAL issue I have with the sculpt is the poor job of hiding the joint connections from the casting....you can obviously see a lot of connection areas for the arms/legs/tentacles ETC. I know this is a very dynamic pose, but I feel like they could have did a better job of making sure there were not such obvious gaps to the pieces. The detailed paint job luckily detracts from this so it is not as noticeable until you get REALLY close to it.

If I had to give him some scores:

Sculpt 10/10 - This is the best part of this statue.
Paint 8/10 - I just feel like he needs a little more attention to detail, and this could have been a homerun.
Size and Weight - 9/10 He could obviously be a bit bigger due to his real size from the films, but I feel like he is big enough to be noticed in any collection.
Light up feature 7/10 - It is cool, but I will never have it on....I just feel like it was rushed, and could have been so much better if thought out.

Overall - 8.5/10 - I really feel like SS did a great job with this guy, and I will be picking up one of the jaegers at some point to compliment this piece!

I will try to post some pictures when I have him setup in his display area!

So i fixed the rock/hand on mine, i did some work on his patterns and i clear coated him completely.

The hand was a pretty easy fix, it's only 3 small sections and took about 10 mins.

The patterns are all over the place because they obviously painted each section, head, arms, tails separately and then when they were stuck together some of the black pattern just stopped at the join line, so i went over connected them up etc.

And i covered him in clear coat, really lifted his overall look and gave that slimey, scaley in water look.

Even happier with him now and he was worth putting the bit of effort into!

Bring on Gypsy and Striker!

100_3882_zps3b666c2e.jpg

100_3872_zps53d7abee.jpg

100_3875_zpse17d66c3.jpg

100_3878_zps08b7f876.jpg

100_3879_zpsb2f74ffb.jpg

100_3881_zps0f4600a4.jpg

100_3883_zps02dc997f.jpg

100_3874_zps1720cdf4.jpg

No more Rock Hand!

100_3876_zps4dfca405.jpg

The clear coat did wonders! Really did capture the under water look, which is the biggest thing missing from the paint job. Fantastic work. Makes me want to attempt to do that to mine, not that I have any idea how.

Glad more people are getting to enjoy this statue with the spook deal. Just wish I had enjoyed that kind of savings lol.

Thanks all! He was definitely worth the effort, i think its ridiculous though that SS send these out with the hand/rock issue. It took me all of 10 minutes to fix and i'm definitely an amateur, why they couldn't open them all up and fix at least that i don't know.

The clear coat did wonders! Really did capture the under water look, which is the biggest thing missing from the paint job. Fantastic work. Makes me want to attempt to do that to mine, not that I have any idea how.

Glad more people are getting to enjoy this statue with the spook deal. Just wish I had enjoyed that kind of savings lol.

Honestly the clear coat was the easiest part. Just a case of covering him in it with a paint brush, nothing fancy at all.

The hand/rock was done with 3 little pots of paint costing $2 a piece i used black, white and a blue/gray. i just painted it all black then used tiny sponge strips to dab on the white and bluegray and just kept repeating until it looked how i wanted it.

I say have a go man! At least do the clear coat as it makes a huge difference ;) always happy to help! If i'd paid the full amount i'd be even more determined to get him how i want him!

Damn this thing looks great and a really good size too. The only thing holding me off this line is that lame o pose for Gypsy.

upset that I missed the bundle deal, hopefully they will do it again!

If anyone is looking for a slattern, I'm making room and selling mine. He is up in the sale section along with Gipsy.

I got one last year after buying the Knifehead which was superb. Slattern is an amazing sculpt but out of the box it's a flat and muddy paint job which is maybe fine for some people who don't scrutinise it up close. There's no nice finishing in areas you would expect like the face. After tax and shipping it cost me $700. ...so if you live overseas I could never recommend it. If you're state side and shipping is cheap it might be worth it though.

Greetings to my fellow Nord collectors! Had no idea so many Norwegians were on this board :lol. We sure do get a kicking in the balls by customs here. @Bloomsorceries - Tax on my Slattern came to 939.50 NOK ..that was back in September last year. The kroner has been **** canned against the dollar recently and it's definitely made me more picky about what I buy from Sideshows website. When is Oslo going to get a Sideshow retailer? :impatient:

Greetings to my fellow Nord collectors! Had no idea so many Norwegians were on this board :lol. We sure do get a kicking in the balls by customs here. @Bloomsorceries - Tax on my Slattern came to 939.50 NOK ..that was back in September last year. The kroner has been **** canned against the dollar recently and it's definitely made me more picky about what I buy from Sideshows website. When is Oslo going to get a Sideshow retailer? :impatient:

Hi there! :wave

I only order from Sideshow when I order Exclusives :lecture ...I have a nice dialogue with my US distributor ...so I rarely pay custom on my orders. ;)

...but the bad currency. :gah:

:hi5:

Hey peepz! Can someone please post some more pictures of slattern displayed in good light, that shows his original skin and details. I am going to buy this in a couple of days, so i really want to look at some pictures, just to be sure, before buying this bad boy. So please post some pics where Slattern is displayed in a good light, that shows his originality.

Only pic of mine i had before i repainted it.

IMG_20141106_133923_490_zpshibiqvgu.jpg

The paints are super flat, they're just muddy and do nothing for the sculpt at all.

The worst part for me is the brown pattern not even matching in places. So you'll see where they joined the head to the body some of the pattern ill just stop at the join, it looks terrible.

And then of course we have the rock hand, this needs to be corrected, it just looks so dumb otherwise, it amazes me no one caught this before leaving the factory.

Plenty of pics if you go through the thread.

Back