P.O.S. Re-Caster *Please Read*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I realise you are probably not capable of thinking about this issue beyond your simplistic posturing, but you could at least try to grasp that the income from custom sculpts may actually be a significant portion of an independent artist's income. So a recaster might actually affect someone's livelihood.

So stealing other peoples creations is ok, but only if that's how you make a living. Got it.

Since most sculpts are simply of a person's head, of a person no less that has voluntarily pursued a career that exposes their likeness to the general public, I think your focus of "design" and "ideas" is laughable.

What's laughable is you turning a blind eye to copyrights and trademarks. Nice.

Please Mr. Righteous post a piece of art you have created that demonstrates the time and skill of sculpting a lifelike head. Until then you are a clown trying to repeat "unauthorized and unlicensed" as a substitute for really thinking about the issue.

:yess:

Oh.. the old "If you can't do it, then your opinion is irrelevant" angle. Nice.

Only clowns here are the hypocritical customizers who make money off of other peoples characters/character designs they don't own and don't have permission to reproduce and then have the nerve to complain when someone makes money off of their "work" in a similar fashion and the bias people like you who defend them because you purchase the bootlegged items.

:wave

Selling unlicensed products is a form of theft.

Recasting said unlicensed products is also a form of theft.

Both are in the wrong.

But, both are, and always will be, a part of this hobby.

Saying one wrong is any more acceptable than the other is absurd. Customizers calling out recasters is pot and kettle.

Its hypocritical to side with customizers wholeheartedly and condemn recasters.

Customizers most definitely put in more work than the scavenging recasters, but ethically, they are both involved in making money from stolen property.

Having said that, I am in complete agreement that recasters are bottom feeders, scavengers and slime. But I also think that customizers shouldn't be calling them out.

Oh and just in case anyone cares, personally, I don't have a problem with ANYONE hustlin'. Customizers, Bootleggers, Recasters, Resculpters, and just in general for stuff not related to this board/hobby: I Don't look down on any of them and I don't knock their hustles.

All of my comments on this subject pertain to the hypocrisy of the whole situation.

I care. :lecture

Customizers provide a great service. As do scalpers, junk bond sellers, inside traders, and other professionals whose behavior is frowned upon (if not illegal).

You can't win the war of morals here. Recasting vs sculpting unlicensed items. As you see, some people put them on the same moral level. So calling the moral act out is not going to achieve a victory for you, Charles.

However, what you can win is the battle against the specific individual. But you have to call them out to do it. If you believe a painter is recasting an item, say who it is so that people can make a choice not to send the sculpt to them, if they support your cause. Otherwise, he/she will keep getting sculpts and will probably keep recasting.

I realise you are probably not capable of thinking about this issue beyond your simplistic posturing, but you could at least try to grasp that the income from custom sculpts may actually be a significant portion of an independent artist's income. So a recaster might actually affect someone's livelihood.

Anybody who's income significantly depends on the sale of unlicensed copyrighted material is just begging to have their cheese moved, if not by recasters, then the license holder, or licensees like Sideshow.

I don't mean to ____ on the great artists here, they fulfill a need (through talent and hard work) for figures that wouldn't otherwise be made or allowed to be made by the license holder. It's wrong, but we generally look past it because we want our little plastic men, damnit.

Recasting is something I won't support because it discourages talented customizers from producing new pieces. However, I won't pretend a customizer has any legal ground to stand on when complaining about recasters.

hijacked.gif

You can't win the war of morals here. Recasting vs sculpting unlicensed items. As you see, some people put them on the same moral level. So calling the moral act out is not going to achieve a victory for you, Charles.

However, what you can win is the battle against the specific individual. But you have to call them out to do it. If you believe a painter is recasting an item, say who it is so that people can make a choice not to send the sculpt to them, if they support your cause. Otherwise, he/she will keep getting sculpts and will probably keep recasting.

I admitted as much earlier, that really I don't have any right to complain. I posted this while I was peeved and wasn't thinking about the obvious hypocrisy entailed. But not everyone agrees. Thanks for the suggestions. I think the situ's been handled.

Last edited:
Selling unlicensed products is a form of theft.

Recasting said unlicensed products is also a form of theft.

Both are in the wrong.

But, both are, and always will be, a part of this hobby.

Saying one wrong is any more acceptable than the other is absurd. Customizers calling out recasters is pot and kettle.

Its hypocritical to side with customizers wholeheartedly and condemn recasters.

Customizers most definitely put in more work than the scavenging recasters, but ethically, they are both involved in making money from stolen property.

Having said that, I am in complete agreement that recasters are bottom feeders, scavengers and slime. But I also think that customizers shouldn't be calling them out.

Just FYI, although I pointed out the auctions I never actually named the individual, despite repeated requests. So I don't know if I ever really called them out.

Also, if this by chance was some big misunderstanding, and someone did actually pay for these, please LMK so we're not stepping on each others' toes in the future. Thanks.

Last edited:
I guess the other thing that gets me about this is we are operating in the grey area here and throwing this stuff on the bay only brings attention to it. I never sold this stuff on the bay and I never will! Even if someone made a cast for their buddy or something, it wouldn't be such a big deal. But the bay?!? C'mon, man. And I know this isn't the first instance of it. So when I say they were putting this up solely for profit, that's what I mean. The difference in my situation as I see it is I took on this project because this was a figure I wanted to see made, and this is really the only way to go about it. And the people who took the time to put it together were compensated because they put an enormous amount of time into making the best possible product.

All right, now I'm really over all this. Moving on.....

Last edited:
Back