Official Sideshow Crimson Guards!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Offical Sideshow Crimson Guards!

I've been debating it, but this CG just isn't "good enough" for me. Not at $140. That nebulous threshold is in my mind that tells me "buy" has not been crossed by what I've seen.

Ordered my ex today - completely forgot about it until now (had a good reason!).

I'm glad I got it. The jacket and even the gloves are growing on me. I think it'll look great flanking the Cobra Throne.

Even used $25.50 in SS points, so the new price didn't hurt too much.

I've been debating it, but this CG just isn't "good enough" for me. Not at $140. That nebulous threshold is in my mind that tells me "buy" has not been crossed by what I've seen.

So where are you at with this line then? I know you're a diehard 1985er. I'm actually a little surprised that the SSC CG doesn't float your boat.

1145351.jpg

So where are you at with this line then? I know you're a diehard 1985er. I'm actually a little surprised that the SSC CG doesn't float your boat.
'85 is my favorite year, but that's just in terms of the overall ARAH output and increased quality of the figure sculpts from previous years. Like most others probably, my three favorite Cobras were Firefly, Storm Shadow, and Zartan (all '84). As for the line, no release is really guaranteed at this point since we don't know what Sideshow's gonna give us until it comes up for pre-order. I've got 5 Joes and 4 Cobras at the moment. Will get Zartan for sure, Hawk, Rock N Roll, Viper, and CG are maybes, if I run across a decent deal on the boards when the $$ is available. Eels, Shipwreck, Lady Jaye, Crimson Twins, Snake Eyes 1.0, and Destro are all figures I plan on buying unless Sideshow "modernizes" them in a way that I don't care for. I'm passing on all the trooper variants.

CG's jacket, somewhat wonky head, and price are the real sticking points on this figure for me. I think I could accept the jacket and head if it were $100, or even pay $140 if the jacket was cloth and the helmet more accurate to the vintage version, but all together. . .I'm leaning against it at the moment.

Gotcha. Of course we need a good 1983 Destro but I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing a 1988 Gold Destro and Iron Grenadiers. The IG are cool with their uzi, laser pistol, and sword and I bet gold Destro flanked by IG would make for a pretty striking shelf display.

I just spoke to Kayto and he said he could do a Crimson Guard jacket for $199.99 plus EMS shipping. Now all I need is 100 zealots and we'll be in business. :pray:

^^ PM sent! Funny that I've recently got sorta sucked into the insanely expensive 1/6 custom world, and might actually talk myself into justifying ridiculously expensive Joe mods if it would make a big enough difference.

Regarding the IGs, I was out of Joes after the animated movie, so the post-'87 stuff (really post-'86) don't appeal to me so much. But, the IGs definitely have a cool, distinctive look. As do several of the other, later Cobra troops like Techno-Viper, Hydro Viper, Alley Viper, and Heli-Viper (if we get a Snow Serpent, we've gotta get Heli-Viper as a con exclusive of something).

Oh yeah, the Joe line basically "ended" for me after 1987 as well. I've just gotten acquainted with some of the later characters through those new TPB's that are reprinting the original Marvel comics. A lot of them would actually look pretty cool as Sideshow figures.

^^ PM sent! Funny that I've recently got sorta sucked into the insanely expensive 1/6 custom world, and might actually talk myself into justifying ridiculously expensive Joe mods if it would make a big enough difference.

Regarding the IGs, I was out of Joes after the animated movie, so the post-'87 stuff (really post-'86) don't appeal to me so much. But, the IGs definitely have a cool, distinctive look. As do several of the other, later Cobra troops like Techno-Viper, Hydro Viper, Alley Viper, and Heli-Viper (if we get a Snow Serpent, we've gotta get Heli-Viper as a con exclusive of something).

There were some GREAT figures after the movie. Battle Force 2000 (the thought of the year 2000 blew my 9 year old mind in 1988) says hello. :lol

I don't remember the first year I started messing with GI Joe figures. I know it was in or around the time I was in Kindergarten though. These figures do two things for me as I said make me think of those moments and bring a coolness with some modernization.

I don't remember the first year I started messing with GI Joe figures. I know it was in or around the time I was in Kindergarten though.

Ah, that would have been right around the time the 25th anniversary kicked off. No wonder you love the modern redesigns. :nana:

Ah, that would have been right around the time the 25th anniversary kicked off. No wonder you love the modern redesigns. :nana:

:lol :lol :lol

Got straight arm Flash off the pegs at Montgomery Wards back in the day.

I can name my first and last Joes. (Zap straight arms and Salvo). Everyone in between not so much.

Its funny to think out of the different joes in 1982/1983 why as a 6 year old would I pick one of the most boring figures first? I must have loved bazookas back in the day.

Back