Official Sideshow Crimson Guards!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Offical Sideshow Crimson Guards!

I find it ironic that you and Nam don't "get" the dead horse beating when you both perpetuate it with your apparent inability to get the desire for figures to match their source material. :duh

That's all there is to it.

"But, but, Sideshow SAID they wouldn't recreate the original Joes in 12 inch form." :panic: Right, then don't recycle the vintage filecards and call it "A Real American Hero." That reeks of Devil's Due-ism and Lucas-style patchwork.

Call it GI Joe: A Real Modern Hero and make up new backstories for the characters. Quit the ongoing tease! :lecture

I get it that you want it to be 110% match. Its just that I've understood from the start it wouldn't. Therefore my enjoyment of the line is consistent. Sorry yours isn't the same.

Whoa Whoa thank god this exclusive did not sell out as fast as zartan and boba because some how i forgot about pre-ordering this till just now...

My Ex ordered

I get it that you want it to be 110% match. Its just that I've understood from the start it wouldn't. Therefore my enjoyment of the line is consistent. Sorry yours isn't the same.

I'm not sure you get it fully. You love the line but you still think we're (or maybe it's just me now) nuts.

Basically, regardless of what you understood from the start, Sideshow is picking and choosing almost at random when it wants to be a match with the original line. And even when they're 99% there with the original, they do something stupid like giving Dusty a goatee, or make Stalker's mustache less than manly. Would you be opposed to Dusty or Stalker being closer to the vintage art? NO, you'd probably be okay with it if I can assume correctly. Would you be opposed to Firefly being a more accurate representation of the classic? Again, you probably would not be opposed if you never seen any of the concept art.

And lastly, a lot of you think the the Crimson Guard mask is identical to the vintage art. It's not, but I can probably safely assume that if it WERE identical, you'd still love it just the same and Sideshow would make an extra sale from guys like me.

So no, I'm not complaining just to complain. I want this line to continue as long as it possibly can and I know that taking liberties with certain elements will slow down their sales, which eventually, could lead to an incomplete collection. "haters gonna hate" isn't accurate in this case. I want what's best for the line and frankly, from what I'm understanding, if Sideshow catered 100% to me, everyone here would be okay with it or wouldn't even realize the difference.

The collecting audience isn't just in these forums. There's a lot of strong Joe fans that do not buy these for the same reasons I listed, regardless of what Sideshow's intentions from the start have been.

Perhaps they took the opportunity to create the line under the impression that they would have latitude to realize their own personal visions of the characters. It's entirely possible that if they were obligated to carbon copy the vintage line, they would not have been interested in taking the trouble to produce figures based on it.

I'm not sure you get it fully. You love the line but you still think we're (or maybe it's just me now) nuts.

I do. If you get that or not its not something I'm worried about. Yes, I love the line.

Basically, regardless of what you understood from the start, Sideshow is picking and choosing almost at random when it wants to be a match with the original line. And even when they're 99% there with the original, they do something stupid like giving Dusty a goatee, or make Stalker's mustache less than manly. Would you be opposed to Dusty or Stalker being closer to the vintage art? NO, you'd probably be okay with it if I can assume correctly. Would you be opposed to Firefly being a more accurate representation of the classic? Again, you probably would not be opposed if you never seen any of the concept art.

I don't feel these figures are that far off the reservation to get upset over. The changes made for me are so minor I just don't feel the need to get worked up over and post about it. Truthfully, I really like the Firefly figure as we got him he kicks ass.

And lastly, a lot of you think the the Crimson Guard mask is identical to the vintage art. It's not, but I can probably safely assume that if it WERE identical, you'd still love it just the same and Sideshow would make an extra sale from guys like me.

You're right the jacket should probably be cloth but the helmet looks damn close to me. If you don't think so thats wonderful.

The collecting audience isn't just in these forums. There's a lot of strong Joe fans that do not buy these for the same reasons I listed, regardless of what Sideshow's intentions from the start have been.

I'm sure you and Khev aren't alone. However, from what I understand the sales of the figures are just fine and probably brought in as many people because they're a bit modernized.

Firefly is my favorite figure. The only thing I didn't like was the machine gun, but I replaced it.

Firefly is my favorite figure. The only thing I didn't like was the machine gun, but I replaced it.

:exactly:

By far my fav too. Paid through the nose for him...but it's done now.

So no, I'm not complaining just to complain. I want this line to continue as long as it possibly can and I know that taking liberties with certain elements will slow down their sales, which eventually, could lead to an incomplete collection. "haters gonna hate" isn't accurate in this case. I want what's best for the line and frankly, from what I'm understanding, if Sideshow catered 100% to me, everyone here would be okay with it or wouldn't even realize the difference.

BeatingaDeadHorse.gif

I'm sure you and Khev aren't alone. However, from what I understand the sales of the figures are just fine and probably brought in as many people because they're a bit modernized.

I suppose this is something we'll never know the actual answer to. Older Joe releases are sold-out but there are many newer ones still in stock and many more still available for pre-order. I'm sure Sideshow would prefer more of these open orders to convert into wait lists a little sooner.

I suppose this is something we'll never know the actual answer to. Older Joe releases are sold-out but there are many newer ones still in stock and many more still available for pre-order. I'm sure Sideshow would prefer more of these open orders to convert into wait lists a little sooner.

:lecture:lecture:lecture:lecture

You are never, ever going to convince Josh that Sideshow does anything wrong, so to argue with him is pointless. The majority here would have liked the figures to be as close to the original material, myself included, but unfortunately SS is going to do what ever they want. We just have to deal with that. So you either buy them or not. The choice is yours. I buy them and then modify the hell out of them to make them look as close as possible to the original. To me, Its part of the fun.
BTW, Firefly is my 2nd least favorite in the line. As Nam stated earlier, "its a great figure, just not a great Firefly". Dusty is my least favorite, to generic looking.

Last edited:

:exactly: Firefly is what really got me to buy into this line. In my opinion he is the best figure in the line besides Snake Eyes. I don't know anyone familiar with the G.I. Joe characters who would look at him and not recognize him as Firefly. And I don't know many who don't think the sideshow design is cool but like all this stuff, that is a matter of opinion. I really don't want figures looking like the first releases (especially Shipwreck). I want them updated. Plus G.I.Joe has always updated the figures and characters with every release. I think some are stuck on certain looks because of the cartoon. To me their looks are not set in stone as some would say. I even think they should start updating their bios.:horror

All that said I agree with a lot here that shiny pleather is a bad choice for CGs.

:exactly: Firefly is what really got me to buy into this line. In my opinion he is the best figure in the line besides Snake Eyes. I don't know anyone familiar with the G.I. Joe characters who would look at him and not recognize him as Firefly. And I don't know many who don't think the sideshow design is cool but like all this stuff, that is a matter of opinion. I really don't want figures looking like the first releases (especially Shipwreck). I want them updated. Plus G.I.Joe has always updated the figures and characters with every release. I think some are stuck on certain looks because of the cartoon. To me their looks are not set in stone as some would say. I even think they should start updating their bios.:horror

All that said I agree with a lot here that shiny pleather is a bad choice for CGs.

Who would that be? :lol :dunno

Funny, I don't recall Coheteboy ever posting in the Joe section before and he is all up in hur on the CG!!

I like his passion for the Vintage look. And t least he sticks to his guns. Most fold and log out.

Concept Art Snafu aside, he is a awesome figure!!

IMO 1986 has been represented extremely well by Sideshow. Beach Head, Viper, Hawk. If that was the norm straight across the board I'd be all in.

I grew up collecting the 3.75" figures/vehicles, reading the original comic book series by MARVEL, and watching the cartoon series (except for the crap by DIC).

I've been pleased with the line and I admit I had some qualms about some of the early offerings (i.e. FIREFLY) and was critical like others.

In the grand scheme of things . . . I like the interpretations of all the characters/figures released thus far. It's a balance . . . right or wrong depending on your expectations . . . between "old" and "new" with modernization/updating that will draw disdain and ire from GI JOE ARAH "purists" (no disrespect intended or implied).

Of course, we can all whine about price and quality as we always do.

I like the CRIMSON GUARD "as is" so far . . . short of the final production version looking like crap due to poor paint applications and possibly/potentially other issues. I think it's a respectable and worthy interpretation based on the original 3.75" figure and the cartoon/comic book character. Is it 100% perfect? No, but for me . . . it's within the 90% to 95% range and I'm fine with that.

Maybe we'll get a CRIMSON GUARD IMMORTAL variation of the figure somewhere down the line?

;)

Back