Official Sideshow 1/6 ANH Darth Vader PHOTO Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tucked underneath the armor. I'm guessing that Kermit Eller's neck wasn't as long as Dave Prowse's or his head wasn't as tall. LOL. Either that or this is the first time he put the costume on and he didn't quite get it on properly.

Where's Vader's neck in this pictures?

Behind the scenes pictures are awesome, but at the end of the day the ANH Vader should look like he did in the movie we all love... and the reason Vader became such a monolithic icon...

Star-Wars-Episode-iV-New-Hope-Darth-Vader-darth-vader-18341008-1024-640.jpg

Star-Wars-Episode-iV-New-Hope-Darth-Vader-darth-vader-18340946-1024-640.jpg

And as much as I hate to use prop shots, people seem to need the 'real world' clarification so here's a good one that has the helmet on correctly...

Star-Wars-A-New-Hope-Darth-Vader-ANH-complete-costume-display-1.jpg

Yes, I think we all know how the neck of the mask should be sitting on top of the armour. The reason I posted those 3 pics of Kermit Eller wearing the screen used mask is because they show very clearly just how thick the leading edges of the dome were.

No, I posted those about the way the helmet hides the brow ridge actually, not the neck (I know that was improper dressing). Seems like alot of people like to show that brow ridge.

I also think that the thickness of the leading edges on the Hasbro dome are representative of what was seen on the real ANH dome. Here's some photos of the ACTUAL screen used helmet being worn in the late 70's by Kermit Eller. (Kermit Eller was an employee at Don Post Studios who was chosen by Lucasfilm to wear the screen used costume at public appearances / publicity. It was Kermit Eller in the suit at the Manns Chinese Theater ceremony for the Hollywood walk of fame hand and footprints for C-3PO, R2 and Vader. He was also wearing the costume for the academy awards presentations when John Mollo won the Oscar for best costume design). I was lucky enough to get the full set of hi-res photos from Mr Eller himself a few years ago. :)

I agree Alex. I think the Sideshow ANH mask with Hasbro dome works very well on the new ROTJ figure. Here's mine:

View attachment 97293

That’s cool. I didn’t know it was him at the Manns Chinese Theater thing. I’ve wondered who’s wearing the costume for all those TV appearances. I wonder if that was Kermit with Wolfman Jack – I think on The Midnight Special – and on that awesome episode of the Donny and Marie show?

The Hasbro dome is growing on me more and more. Your picture above is the best I’ve seen it look. The thickness looks great and it does have a nice swoosh and flare. Crazy or not, something in the back of my head though is still saying, “Don’t contaminate your Sideshow Darth with a Hasbro toy piece”.

The plastic SS used is too thin and cut too sharp. Ideally I want a dome that has the thick, gnarly and asymmetrical goodness that made the helmet what we love. The dome and the way it was positioned really gave him that pissed off look that SS just can’t duplicate.

Quick question – why in the world is your nice mask not on the original Star Wars body? Blasphemy my good man.

Alex

Hey Alex,

Yes, it was Kermit Eller in the costume in all of those TV appearances that you mentioned. Interestingly, Kermit Eller has worn the costume more times and for much longer than Dave Prowse ever wore it. He can tell you every little bit about the intricacies of the suit - even 30+ years after wearing it.

I may revert back to ANH Vader in the end. I'm just a sucker for the lights on the chestbox and belt. The only reason I put the ANH mask onto the new ROTJ body is because I felt that the ROTJ mask is too small and as I already mentioned, I don't think the sculpt is as accurate as what they did on the ANH mask. I was lucky to score a brand new, unopened electronic talking Hasbro Vader so the dome that I got was mint without any scratches / marks on it. The amount of gloss on the Hasbro plastic looks just right and matches up with the way the ANH dome looks in a lot of scenes so I wasn't fussed about repainting it at all.

That’s cool. I didn’t know it was him at the Manns Chinese Theater thing. I’ve wondered who’s wearing the costume for all those TV appearances. I wonder if that was Kermit with Wolfman Jack – I think on The Midnight Special – and on that awesome episode of the Donny and Marie show?

The Hasbro dome is growing on me more and more. Your picture above is the best I’ve seen it look. The thickness looks great and it does have a nice swoosh and flare. Crazy or not, something in the back of my head though is still saying, “Don’t contaminate your Sideshow Darth with a Hasbro toy piece”.

The plastic SS used is too thin and cut too sharp. Ideally I want a dome that has the thick, gnarly and asymmetrical goodness that made the helmet what we love. The dome and the way it was positioned really gave him that pissed off look that SS just can’t duplicate.

Quick question – why in the world is your nice mask not on the original Star Wars body? Blasphemy my good man.

Alex

I may revert back to ANH Vader in the end. I'm just a sucker for the lights on the chestbox and belt.

:clap I'm the same way -- like a moth to light-up features. But just give ANH Vader the glowy belts. If I can find a loose set that's what I hope to do. Wish that little red light would glow too.

I’m thinking of sanding out a bald spot in the top back of the mask. So it would kind of be like the half mask from the costume. Just to help the angle of the dome a bit and lowering the flange some. It’s a last resort and just a thought. Anyone tried this?

If it works then the angle of the dome’s dangle will be inversely proportional to the missing meat of the mask. :lecture

Alex

It cost me a small fortune, but i did the switch. My anh chestplate straps broke when pulled off vaders head to use the hasbro dome. I saw the chestpiece on evilbay and took it. Very hapy with it although the lights are not attached. The belt it too big.

ygude9a5.jpg

gazape9e.jpg

Best,

Robert
:clap I'm the same way -- like a moth to light-up features. But just give ANH Vader the glowy belts. If I can find a loose set that's what I hope to do. Wish that little red light would glow too.

Best,

Robert

I asked earlier but it got buried. The pegs do come out of the ANH boots, correct? Im having a hard time getting them out with pliers. Maybe the hot water trick will loosen them up?

This is the KP02? Why does he look so short?

What did you do to your Stormtroopers, I can't quite catch what you did, but they look different.

Yes, Vader's on the KP02. It's short because, compared to the SSC stock body, it's a bit shorter at 13 1/2". A few guys here have done the same thing, which is what got me to do it in the first place.

Also, those troopers were only put on Sideshow's newer armored Prometheus bodies that I picked up from Toy Anxiety since the ones they originally came with were too floppy to stand on their own. I also reshaped the chest armor in at the sides so they fit better, but I don't think you can tell from that photo.

It looks short, even for a KP02, maybe the angle is messing with me or something.

Did you do something to the Stormtroopers helmets? That's what look different to me.

Did you do something to the Stormtroopers helmets? That's what look different to me.

Oh, those may be the helmets that came with the Han and Luke set (held in place by a rubber knob connected to the neck post). That's why they're on the shiny side.

Back