Official Sideshow 1/6 ANH Darth Vader PHOTO Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to a fellow member I was able to re-acquire this figure. I had forgotten how great this figure actually is. While I also own the new Vader, this one is not without it's merits.

Yeah i looked into it, but the glove is totally not AHN. Saw it on toyanxiety for 2 usd, but the shipping killed it.

Best,

Robert

I scored the new ROTJ helmet and thought I’d try it out on the Star Wars Vader. I like the more pronounced flare of the ROTJ dome, but I also like the widow’s peak and overall fit of the Star Wars one. There’s definitely pros and cons about both. It’s also really hard to photograph this guy.

What do you guys think? Any of you guys put the new dome on the old Darth?

Alex

Star Wars dome –

attachment.php

ROTJ dome –

attachment.php

I like the flare but the 'bonnet' of the dome looks small.

Yup. Thats precisely why I'm not into it. The crown is wider on the ANH dome but the flare is lacking.
" I find your lack of flare disturbing. " heh...nevermind.

But hey, if you dig it Alex that's all that matters. :)

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

I’m feeling the same way…the only thing the new one has going for it is the flare. I know it’s supposed to be from ROTJ, but neither dome seems to be accurate to its movie.

The new ROTJ dome reminds me a lot of their Star Wars PF Vader. That dome was good, but still off. What’s the matter with these people!? Kenner did a fantastic job back in ’79 for their 12” Darth. In 19-freakin-79!!

Why can’t SS digitally scan the important key parts of a figure!? I’ve always been under the impression Marmit did just that. And that was 14 years ago!

Whew…rant over. Where's the Tylenol? :gah: :wink1:

Alex

It's on my figure in the pictures above and on page 714. I like the new cape a lot. The tailoring is a big improvement. It's made up of multiple pieces and that let's it drape more naturally. I think the original costume was tailored in the same way.

Alex

What?! :lol Surely that has to be a one off, right? He didn't devalue that much, did he?

Anyway, the pegs do come out of these boots, right? I can't get them out. Maybe a little hot water would do?

Yeah it was $75 bucks! But the shipping was about $30, but still, a great deal! I'm sure it was a one off.

It's on my figure in the pictures above and on page 714. I like the new cape a lot. The tailoring is a big improvement. It's made up of multiple pieces and that let's it drape more naturally. I think the original costume was tailored in the same way.

Alex

Alex, that does look good. I'm thinking of swapping mine.

I’m feeling the same way…the only thing the new one has going for it is the flare. I know it’s supposed to be from ROTJ, but neither dome seems to be accurate to its movie.

The new ROTJ dome reminds me a lot of their Star Wars PF Vader. That dome was good, but still off. What’s the matter with these people!? Kenner did a fantastic job back in ’79 for their 12” Darth. In 19-freakin-79!!

Why can’t SS digitally scan the important key parts of a figure!? I’ve always been under the impression Marmit did just that. And that was 14 years ago!

Whew…rant over. Where's the Tylenol? :gah: :wink1:

Alex

Alex, you're preaching to the choir my friend. :lol

Yeah it was $75 bucks! But the shipping was about $30, but still, a great deal! I'm sure it was a one off.

Yeah, still a fantastic deal imo. I remember when I got back into collecting that Vader was anywhere between $350-500. It was crazy.

I really wanted that new Vader... but I knew if I just sat it out -- thru all the 'its-the-best-figure-ever' talk -- I knew people would end up swinging back around to the ANH Vader.

Glad I waited. :lol

I really wanted that new Vader... but I knew if I just sat it out -- thru all the 'its-the-best-figure-ever' talk -- I knew people would end up swinging back around to the ANH Vader.

Glad I waited. :lol

Agreed. I have both and still prefer the look of my modified ANH Vader.

What?! :lol Surely that has to be a one off, right? He didn't devalue that much, did he?

Anyway, the pegs do come out of these boots, right? I can't get them out. Maybe a little hot water would do?

What do you have going with the boots? Are you not sticking with the stock body?

Alex

I think that the ANH mask sculpt has a lot to do with this - it's definitely the superior sculpt and when coupled with the Hasbro dome, it's a much better looking helmet than the new SS ROTJ sculpt. (ANH with Hasbro dome on the left, SS ROTJ on the right)

SAM_2210.JPG

Agreed. I have both and still prefer the look of my modified ANH Vader.

The brow on the Hasbro helmet is really narrow.

MrsHurricane is gonna make a small fortune if she and Glenn can make a properly scaled and properly shaped dome for a resonable price. Hell, I might even buy one.

I think that the ANH mask sculpt has a lot to do with this - it's definitely the superior sculpt and when coupled with the Hasbro dome, it's a much better looking helmet than the new SS ROTJ sculpt. (ANH with Hasbro dome on the left, SS ROTJ on the right)

View attachment 97285

See right there by itself the Hasbro dome looks great as far as the flare. It definitely reminds me of the shot below. I think a lot of Darth's look has to do with how the mask, shoulder armor and cape work together. How the mask sits and is positioned with the rest of the costume.

Alex

ANH%20Vader%20ESBpromo.jpg

I also think that the thickness of the leading edges on the Hasbro dome are representative of what was seen on the real ANH dome. Here's some photos of the ACTUAL screen used helmet being worn in the late 70's by Kermit Eller. (Kermit Eller was an employee at Don Post Studios who was chosen by Lucasfilm to wear the screen used costume at public appearances / publicity. It was Kermit Eller in the suit at the Manns Chinese Theater ceremony for the Hollywood walk of fame hand and footprints for C-3PO, R2 and Vader. He was also wearing the costume for the academy awards presentations when John Mollo won the Oscar for best costume design). I was lucky enough to get the full set of hi-res photos from Mr Eller himself a few years ago. :)

ANH-Vader-mask1.jpg
ANH-Vader-mask2.jpg
ANH-Vader-mask3.jpg

Last edited:
I agree Alex. I think the Sideshow ANH mask with Hasbro dome works very well on the new ROTJ figure. Here's mine:

SAM_2239.JPG

See right there by itself the Hasbro dome looks great as far as the flare. It definitely reminds me of the shot below. I think a lot of Darth's look has to do with how the mask, shoulder armor and cape work together. How the mask sits and is positioned with the rest of the costume.

Alex

Last edited:
I also think that the thickness of the leading edges on the Hasbro dome are representative of what was seen on the real ANH dome. Here's some photos of the ACTUAL screen used helmet being worn in the late 70's by Kermit Eller. (Kermit Eller was an employee at Don Post Studios who was chosen by Lucasfilm to wear the screen used costume at public appearances / publicity. It was Kermit Eller in the suit at the Manns Chinese Theater ceremony for the Hollywood walk of fame hand and footprints for C-3PO, R2 and Vader. He was also wearing the costume for the academy awards presentations when John Mollo won the Oscar for best costume design). I was lucky enough to get the full set of hi-res photos from Mr Eller himself a few years ago. :)

View attachment 97288
View attachment 97289

Where's Vader's neck in this pictures?

Back