Official "Ridley Scott's Prometheus" Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Prometheus SUPER Spoilers!

The people who didn't like this movie are too hung up on physics and "plot holes" of the DNA theories to bother to offer a cent of original thought.

Even though I some what agree with your comment I can understand people not liking this because of some missing scenes that would enhance the film. My only complaint is when the creature is taken out of the stomach in the medical bay that it's not mentioned ever again until the end. She wouldn't leave without telling people that there's something in there but it's never brought up. But the movie is so briskly paced at the end there that when it's not brought up you don't even notice and it's not until later that your like oh yea, she didn't do that. Otherwise for that one small part this film rocked and the only way I want to watch this now is in IMAX 3d. everything else is inferior.

I'm really genuinely disappointed that people are bashing this movie. Not because I necessarily care if a film is "successful" but because I don't want the filmmakers to take it to heart or get discouraged. Listening to interviews with Ridley I think he's a genius and I think that Fassbender and Noomi really gave it their all and delivered incredible performances. For me, this film exceeded the hype and I can't wait to get figures from it. I was never once bored. It feels like the people who can't appreciate this movie are just trying to hate it because it wasn't like the other films in the alien franchise so they try to find ways to pick it apart or bash it because it was different. They dissect the "archetypes" and they dissect the "bad dialogue." It was no better in the original Alien. I think this film is almost as good as that and it's frustrating that almost no one else sees it without giving it some base-level criticism or labeling me a "Ridley Fanboy" (which I'm not I haven't even seen all his films). There's a lot of ideas in this movie and it's hard to juggle them all but I think that they did just the right amount of teasing about the big questions in the Universe without handing out answers. No matter what answers they provided people would be disappointed so it's better to tease people into thinking about it themselves. The people who didn't like this movie are too hung up on physics and "plot holes" of the DNA theories to bother to offer a cent of original thought.

Sounds like you're too "hung up" on other peoples opinions. Theres not a work in the history of cinema thats not critiqued, no matter how amazing the piece. If this shocks or surprises, you should try getting out of the bubble a little more. :dunno

Even though I some what agree with your comment I can understand people not liking this because of some missing scenes that would enhance the film. My only complaint is when the creature is taken out of the stomach in the medical bay that it's not mentioned ever again until the end. She wouldn't leave without telling people that there's something in there but it's never brought up. But the movie is so briskly paced at the end there that when it's not brought up you don't even notice and it's not until later that your like oh yea, she didn't do that. Otherwise for that one small part this film rocked and the only way I want to watch this now is in IMAX 3d. everything else is inferior.

I'm pretty sure she thought the decontamination freezing was killing it since it stopped thrashing. But yeah, leaving that thing in Theron's cabin was like crapping in a broken toilet at a friends house and not telling them. :panic:

You know I think things like that don't really upset the overall opinion of the film. I took it that the creature was dead inside the medical chamber when she blew the steam on it until we saw it again at the end. I think in the midst of what she had discovered about how dangerous their situation was it wasn't worth mentioning that that was in there until later on when they got out of harm's way.

What I'm seeing with this movie is that just about every argument about the plot and the writing can be refuted and people still just shake their heads because they're blinded by wanting Alien or something. Someone kept going on about Monkeys existing and the DNA from the space jockeys matching ours exactly. The way I see it, the parts of the DNA that make humans HUMAN are still intact when humans have fully evolved from the cells. The monkeys are partially evolved humans just how the xenomorph at the end of the film is partially evolved.

Re: Prometheus Q&A (SPOILERS)

That wasn't the queen being born at the end? I assumed it was and that this was a direct prequel to alien, ie.; the queen sets up house in the crashed ship and lays all her eggs, then Alien 1 happens

Sounds like you're too "hung up" on other peoples opinions. Theres not a work in the history of cinema thats not critiqued, no matter how amazing the piece. If this shocks or surprises, you should try getting out of the bubble a little more. :dunno

I'm aware that there are always dissenters, but it seems like the majority of people I'm talking to or reading on twitter hate this film. That's discouraging isn't it? It doesn't discourage or change my opinion of the film because I'm not influenced by the thinking of others, but it does discourage me further thinking that anyone knows anything.

If the "alien" image in the "altar room" really is an altar room, then perhaps the alien we know and love is the creator of the engineers... the alien is their god. Then the engineers tried to become gods themselves.

Could the Giger alien be our 'god'?

prometheus_Alien.png

Last edited:

If the "alien" image in the "altar room" really is an altar room, then perhaps the alien we know and love is the creator of the engineers... the alien is their god. Then the engineers tried to become gods themselves.

great point. Hadn't thought of that

I'm aware that there are always dissenters, but it seems like the majority of people I'm talking to or reading on twitter hate this film. That's discouraging isn't it? It doesn't discourage or change my opinion of the film because I'm not influenced by the thinking of others, but it does discourage me further thinking that anyone knows anything.

Umm... Why do you ask if its discouraging, then write its not discouraging or changing your opinion in the next sentence. Sounds like you are beside yourself over other people not sharing your exact opinion. :cuckoo:

I put this in the other thread but wanted to pose this idea here too...

prometheus_Alien.png

Last edited:

Umm... Why do you ask if its discouraging, then write its not discouraging or changing your opinion in the next sentence. Sounds like you are beside yourself over other people not sharing your exact opinion. :cuckoo:

It's discouraging my opinion of movie-goers, audiences and America. The movie stays the same. Not my exact opinion because I think everything about this film is open to interpretation. I love hearing the different theories. But to bash it based on "plot holes" and "characters" really bothers me.

That wasn't the queen being born at the end? I assumed it was and that this was a direct prequel to alien, ie.; the queen sets up house in the crashed ship and lays all her eggs, then Alien 1 happens

Wrong lunar body, different ship Willy. :(

Although as the beginning was just representative of "any planet", the scenario that played out here could possibly have played out on several other areas (such as the ship and planet in Alien), including the homeworld. I would guess that the "latest" ooze the engineers created 2k years ago was too potent and too unstable to be used and ultimately turned upon them. Why else would such an advanced race have not just sent another ship when they realized their ships weren't responding and weren't reporting in?

read that link Noisetrigger posted a few posts up, that thing filled in a lot of speculation I was having.

Last edited:

It's discouraging my opinion of movie-goers, audiences and America. The movie stays the same. Not my exact opinion because I think everything about this film is open to interpretation. I love hearing the different theories. But to bash it based on "plot holes" and "characters" really bothers me.

:exactly::slap:cuckoo:

Well I loved the film. I loved that it had the same feel as the original ALIEN. Just a feeling of dread in most of the film. Sure it had some small issues but man I loved most everything.

prometheus_Alien.png

It was hard to notice before, but looking at this pic, it looks like this could be a prototype or work in process, it sure looks heavily rigged into whatever is supposed to be making up the background.

It was hard to notice before, but looking at this pic, it looks like this could be a prototype or work in process, it sure looks heavily rigged into whatever is supposed to be making up the background.

I'm not following you...? Hard to notice in the film? Or hard to notice what it represents in the film?

Someone said the art book refers to this as an altar. So the idea of worshipping the very thing we all seem to be discussing as to how it came about is a very interesting circular idea. The monster everyone is chasing could be our 'god'.

It's a carving. On the wall.

But it is clearly significant. And it is of something that has yet to be created... OR that thing at the end is misnamed the PROTOxeno.

It's a carving. On the wall.

Kind of a silly question, really, but was it a carving or part of the painting? They mention a "beautiful" mural and wasn't sure if this was a part of it? It looks very dimensional. Hardly matters, I just kind of wondered.

Anyway, saw it yesterday and I thought this was utterly fantastic! How great to see a well-done sci-fi story on the big-screen. The art direction was really glorious. Can't wait to get my "Art of" book from Amazon next Tuesday.

I loved the pace of it. If anything, I felt like it was too short! I could have used more time with the characters to let their relationships build and spend more time in this universe. So many great performances, but Charlize Theron and Michael Fassbender were just utterly superb. Noomi Rapace was great as well. I loved how tense it was.

I could have cared less about the Alien connection, honestly. I thought the end was pretty cool, but to me this story needs to continue in it's own branch. At the end, we have two very different diverging stories - the Aliens and what happens with them (which we've seen) and then Shaw's (Liz Shaw! Doctor Who fans punch the air!) mission to find the architects. I hope we get some more sequels with Shaw's story. It'd be cool if they reunited the stories again at some point though.

Anyway, I loved it.

I'm not following you...? Hard to notice in the film? Or hard to notice what it represents in the film?

Someone said the art book refers to this as an altar. So the idea of worshipping the very thing we all seem to be discussing as to how it came about is a very interesting circular idea. The monster everyone is chasing could be our 'god'.

But it is clearly significant. And it is of something that has yet to be created... OR that thing at the end is misnamed the PROTOxeno.

Boom, exactly what I was thinking. I think they(Engineers) knew what end stage development was and I don't think they had the proper protocols in place to contain their super soldier serum. (IE, Engineers kinda pulled an Umbrella Corp to put it into RE terms.)

Kind of a silly question, really, but was it a carving or part of the painting? They mention a "beautiful" mural and wasn't sure if this was a part of it? It looks very dimensional. Hardly matters, I just kind of wondered.

Anyway, I loved it.

No Jon. I think they referred to the mural as the paintings that were up higher. This looks like part of the relief stuff that was on the wall.

Back