Official "Ridley Scott's Prometheus" Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Alien remake/reboot is GO

Watched A L I E N when i was 8

Predator when I was 7

8 Skynet Points!

I'm jaded on this project. I would love to see something new. However, with prequels, I am always reminded how The Phantom Menace RUINED the Star Wars franchise for me. That film made me sell 98% of my SW collectibles. So, I dunno.

I guess if he kept it simple, not too much CGI, and still left something for us to wonder about...maybe. Hell Im gonna see it know matter what, and buy the stuff.

I'm begging...PLEASE Ridley...DO NOT use ADI's creature designs.

PLEASE go back to Giger's original design!!

...and don't use CGI. It's so fooking obvious!

I'm for old school - if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I don't think that will happen and I bet Giger will be back on this film. I only hope CGI isn't the only way Ridley will go with this. I hope we get a great movie and a really great new Alien monster. I'll be really geeked and am looking forward to this more than anything coming up. As far as it becoming like Star Wars. I don't think Ridley would ever turn something to crap like Lucas did. For most people out there Alien was turned to crap back in 1992. It can only improve I would think. I'm hoping I will get to sculpt the new Alien. Oh yeah.

Surprisingly, a large part of the AVP films were still a guy in the suit, Alien, Predator, PredAlien. One thing I'll give ADI credit for, they seem to stick to the guy in the suit method wherever possible.

How they do the effects for this movie will be based on what the xenomorph(s) does. If it's more a creature in the dark like ALIEN, the could get away with suit for the whole thing. If the creature's more active like the other films, they'll probably use a mix of suit and CGI.

I don't think that will happen and I bet Giger will be back on this film. I only hope CGI isn't the only way Ridley will go with this. I hope we get a great movie and a really great new Alien monster. I'll be really geeked and am looking forward to this more than anything coming up. As far as it becoming like Star Wars. I don't think Ridley would ever turn something to crap like Lucas did. For most people out there Alien was turned to crap back in 1992. It can only improve I would think. I'm hoping I will get to sculpt the new Alien. Oh yeah.

When I first watched Aliens 3 and 4 I thought it was ruined. Now when I go back I think 3 is awesome (4 is ok).

I expectations have a lot to do with it.

I really want a Ferrari, I get gifted a Lamborghini and I think damn! Until it sinks in...

Now when I go back I think 3 is awesome

The workprint of Alien 3 is amazing. I wish Fincher would relent and give us a Directors Cut.

I really want a Ferrari, I get gifted a Lamborghini and I think damn! Until it sinks in...

Very true.

I'm hoping it will not be a backstory prequel but just an Alien encounter that happened before.

The workprint of Alien 3 is amazing. I wish Fincher would relent and give us a Directors Cut.

Wouldn't that be the extended version on the 2 disc set? I don't know what else could be released. As far as the director's vision, it seemed to me watching behind the scenes of A3, that conflicts between FOX and the production crew prevented A3 from being what Fincher truly wanted it to be.

The workprint IS the Directors Cut. Its as close as possible to what Fincher wanted.

The workprint IS the Directors Cut. Its as close as possible to what Fincher wanted.

Yeah, I suppose. I watched it again last night and just wished that cut included Ripley's chestburster and that Fox would stump up some extra cash to improve some of the effects.

Yeah, I suppose. I watched it again last night and just wished that cut included Ripley's chestburster and that Fox would stump up some extra cash to improve some of the effects.

Aliens was going to be the end of the Ripley story and should have been. Fox always thought they had to have her back and gave in to what she wanted. I think a lot of Alien fans make themselves like a bad Alien movie because Fincher did it. The film is shot great BUT. Why is it bad? NOT SCARY AT ALL. I think most die hard Alien fans at the time felt just like James Cameron felt. One big slap in the face. Killing off Hicks and Newt was a joke. Heck by the end I was wanting Ripley to jump on in.
I'm old enought to remember what it was like to see Alien and Aliens in the theater. Alien 3 and 4 aren't even in the ball park. I can remember a sold out crowd at Alien 3 saying what the hell and man this movie sucks when it was over. I can remember thinking OK can I kill someone now at Fox.
It was not enen close to the experience of Alien and Aliens. Those two movies made the Alien franchise and Alien3 and 4 really did a good job of killing it off. I think thats kind of the way most people look at it.
I would say 3 isn't as bad as it was when I first saw it but after seeing Aliens Fox was kind of doomed really. When you watch the making of Alien 3 the film makers too me feel like they are saying WOW WE F ed that up didn't we.
I would still like to sculpt an Alien 3 and give the fans a really accurate figure. Maybe we will do that.

Aliens was going to be the end of the Ripley story and should have been.

But it's the typical 'Hollywood Happy Ending'. Ripley gets a boyfriend and daughter and lives happily ever. While I admit Alien 3 isn't as scary (though I think the scenes in the workprint of capturing the Beast and the extended corridor chase are pretty tense) I loved the bleak feel to the movie, where Ripley has lost everything and the only way She can win is to lose (her life).

OT. I'm still waiting to hear from Ridley his reasons for now directing this movie instead of just producing and if he intends to reinvent the Alien.

But it's the typical 'Hollywood Happy Ending'. Ripley gets a boyfriend and daughter and lives happily ever. While I admit Alien 3 isn't as scary (though I think the scenes in the workprint of capturing the Beast and the extended corridor chase are pretty tense) I loved the bleak feel to the movie, where Ripley has lost everything and the only way She can win is to lose (her life).

Agreed, Alien 3 brought something to the franchise that the other two did not, so lets not forget about its contribution to the series. The first two had happy endings, Ripley kills the Alien and is good to go, in Aliens even Bishop survives along with Newt and Hicks and it's your typical 'oedipal' hollywood ending, a family is born. Alien 3 however was strictly anti-oedipal and was more comparable to a tragedy like Antigone. The chase scenes were OK but it tried pretty decently to recapture what worked about the first film while introducing this new bleak tone.

As far as prequel, please no Alien home planet and hopefully not a story of genesis UNLESS somehow they tie in the Company into the creation of the Alien somehow...it wouldn't be canon exactly but there could be some way of tying up the Company's interest in the creature and perhaps its role in its creation. I'd really prefer to have a situation similar to Alien just chronologically beforehand. I don't want the Action bonanza that was Aliens but the hermetically sealed terror of the first and third. Then again Scott said he wanted to explore the Space Jockeys but I think it was more of a second thought than anything else, just musing on what might be explored in a prequel.

Aliens did not have a Hollywood happy ending, it had a perfect story arc. Just because some people survived at the end it's not Hollywood. It made you care about all the characters, and it had a perfect ending because most people were pleased to see Ripley's nightmare is over. Her daughter has died and Newt's family have died, Bishop is messed up and Hicks is the only survivor of his squad, is that not enough suffering?
Alien 3 dumps on all of that, first the ridiculous fact that there are eggs on the ship at the start. How the ^^^^ did they get on there ? No matter how hard I look at the Alien Queen, she is not holding any eggs, and why would she if she's chasing Ripley? Even if the queen had eggs she had no time to place them as she appears from under the shuttle straight away. Crap actors shouting Wan**r all the time, crap effects, crappy Terminator 2 ending, and the guy that survives, I could not give a dam about.
I could go on and on about how much I hate Alien 3.

It made you care about all the characters, and it had a perfect ending because most people were pleased to see Ripley's nightmare is over. Her daughter has died and Newt's family have died, Bishop is messed up and Hicks is the only survivor of his squad, is that not enough suffering?

No it's not, more suffering required. :gun :monkey2

And it's really not outlandish to suggest that what you describe right there is a perfect hollywood ending. After great strife and tribulation, the main characters are happy and there is a little family born. Is this a happy ending considering all of the suffering before hand? Maybe not. Is it a happy hollywood ending compared to Alien 3? Definitely. That doesn't make Aliens a bad film, its great and in many respects better than Alien 3, but Alien 3 has redeeming qualities that Aliens effectively lack.

crappy Terminator 2 ending

I don't even need to point out what's wrong with this. :lol

Edit: the eggs, yeah its a plot hole but you can retcon it, which they didn't. They basically alluded to the comapny being responsible. I think it would have been interesting if it turned out Bishop, via programming, brought the egg on the ship. Sure he was 'good' but he was still an android, in other words without real emotion or thought, only simulated and programmed. They made him sympathetic in contrast to Alien but that's just projection. He could be capable of anything his programming dictates. And also we have no idea what happens between the point where Ripley goes after Newt and Bishop and Hicks do their own thing. Use your imagination.

I could go on and on about how much I hate Alien 3.

I respect your passion. It is a flawed film and You are quite correct about the egg at the start of the movie (however, at the end of the credits in Aliens, you can hear a facehugger scuttling around, so Cameron entertained ideas that something survived) but I love it and feel it's the perfect conculsion to Ripley's story.

I think the reason I posted was not because people like Alien 3 because you're entitled too. I think it's because I love Aliens and that should have been the end of Ripley's story.
I just feel Alien 3 should have not had Ripley in it, and the fact she is in Alien 3 seems like a Hollywood studio decision. And don't get me started on Alien Resurrection, I hate that movie even more.
And you have to admit the T2 ending and Alien3 ending are very similar. Oh. and the T2 style ending is not crappy I just got carried away

Back