Obi Wan 12" poll - Like it ? - Disappointed? - still not decided?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Did Obi Wan pictures meets your expectations?

• I like it and definitely will be buying

Votes: 34 35.8%
  • it is a big disappointment for me

Votes: 41 43.2%
  • Still can't decide my opinion :)

Votes: 20 21.1%

• Total voters
IrishJedi said:
The situation might actually be more "sinister" than that.

I was looking at the hi-res pics of the packaging for the figure (which, of course, show pics of the prototype and not the final production figure). Well, it turns out that the finished piece IS actually pretty close to the prototype (even the colors).

HOWEVER, what is truly troubling is that SSC obviously repainted a *NEW* prototype for display at SDCC that featured a much better paint app than even the original prototype (the one obviously used for the production figure).

I find that disconcerting, to say the least... especially after the "that's production. Wait, it's not... but it's close" comments in regards to the far superior item hawked at SDCC. :cool:
By SDCC the figure had been sold out for 6 months, why go through the trouble to make a figure look better when no one could buy more?

Brent72 said:
As far as I'm concerned, Sideshow could almost be guilty of "deceptive practice" by displaying something that looks basically perfect at SDCC and then releasing an obviously inferior product to the public. Why tease everyone and get their hopes up when you damn well know the final piece isn't going to look anywhere near that good? It's almost like taking out a classified ad and using a picture of a Corvette when you're actually trying to sell a Camaro.

IrishJedi said:
The situation might actually be more "sinister" than that.

I was looking at the hi-res pics of the packaging for the figure (which, of course, show pics of the prototype and not the final production figure). Well, it turns out that the finished piece IS actually pretty close to the prototype (even the colors).

HOWEVER, what is truly troubling is that SSC obviously repainted a *NEW* prototype for display at SDCC that featured a much better paint app than even the original prototype (the one obviously used for the production figure).

I find that disconcerting, to say the least... especially after the "that's production. Wait, it's not... but it's close" comments in regards to the far superior item hawked at SDCC. :cool:

OMG are you two actually serious with these conspiracy theories? Maybe SS had a hand in who Killed JFK? Maybe they know what's actually located in Roswell? Maybe they know if Big Foot and the Loc Ness Monster are real? Maybe they have secret Government papers stating why we keep getting ass ****ed by the oil companies? :rolleyes:

jlcmsu said:
OMG are you two actually serious with these conspiracy theories? Maybe SS had a hand in who Killed JFK? Maybe they know what's actually located in Roswell? Maybe they know if Big Foot and the Loc Ness Monster are real? Maybe they have secret Government papers stating why we keep getting ass ****ed by the oil companies? :rolleyes:

Um, it was more of an observation than a "conspiracy theory" but you can justify this sub-par offering from SS any way you like if it makes you feel better. :rolleyes:

jlcmsu said:
Maybe they have secret Government papers stating why we keep getting ass ****ed by the oil companies? :rolleyes:
Maybe they're in on it and using that as an excuse to increase the price of figures.
:emperor

Brent72 said:
Um, it was more of an observation than a "conspiracy theory" but you can justify this sub-par offering from SS any way you like if it makes you feel better. :rolleyes:

I call it like I see it.

Agent0028 said:
Maybe they're in on it and using that as an excuse to increase the price of figures.
:emperor

Maybe :rotfl

This just posted at Sideshow.

Due to the overall dissatisfaction with the soon to be shipped Obi-Wan Kenobi 12 inch figure, we regret to inform you that we will not be shipping these and recalling the items that have been shipped. We have no current plans to re-release this figure at this time. All Credit Cards will be refunded immediately. Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Sideshow Collectibles

Got you, but I bet a lot of people belived this.:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

mfoga said:
This just posted at Sideshow.

Due to the overall dissatisfaction with the soon to be shipped Obi-Wan Kenobi 12 inch figure, we regret to inform you that we will not be shipping these and recalling the items that have been shipped. We have no current plans to re-release this figure at this time. All Credit Cards will be refunded immediately. Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Sideshow Collectibles

Got you, but I bet a lot of people belived this.:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I couldn't help myself. I have been trying to resist almost all day.

the final paint job really isn't that bad.
i w as actually disapointed at the initial paint job they showed caz they eyes were messey and the hair had too much color.
I'd have to say that it lost "some" likeness when they painted it different because he looked thinner..

I'll admit I'm a bit disapointed by the production pics but like others have already said, I'll wait till I have the figure in hand to pass judgement.

I can't tell you how many times members here complained about a 1/6 figure that they didn't have but after they got the figure they changed their opinion.

Compare for yourself.

sunohc said:
the final paint job really isn't that bad.
i w as actually disapointed at the initial paint job they showed caz they eyes were messey and the hair had too much color.

Um, what? The eyes were "messey" and the hair had too much color? If you're talking about the one shown at SDCC you need to go back and check the photos because that paint job was PERFECT.

attachment.php

I never saw the one at SDCC, but if you mean the one shown here
See:
The eyes' pupils are uneven. and the color looks slosshy haha..or inconsistent.
the paint below the eyes are also a bit inconsister, not clean or anything like the pics shown in the latest.

sure, the hair got darker and maybe that's what looks most different, but I'm just basing this off of pics, I have not seen the sdcc ones.

and consider that the Mace Windu figure had very good ratings among many even though the likeness was not deadon (but VVVERY good!) and there was certainly not that much paint-application intricacy as well.
so.....
I wouldn't be too dissapointed fellas :D
the pictures can never do justice usually for a paint job.
unles they took the picture using flash with the right lighting, you wouldn't be able to see the deep fleshtones or fine detail.
try it with your own headsculpts.
the flash sometimes gets to bright and hides colors,but some times it can really capture all the tones, but most of the time, people rely on picture-pree-lighted booths and it really won't show all the tones in my opnion.

Wow, this poor guy is getting hammered in the polls, 33% approval from SSF? It's such a shame, the figure is excellent, the sculpt is amazing, the outfit is fine but paint apps is really hurting this figure's ratings...

I'm just saying it's a shame that it's not what it could easily be if some minor oversight management corrected something as simple as color palate and application.

ah ha, but Im not really sure what else is more different than the lighting and the lighter hair color...
Obviously the paint was applied with oils or thinned acrylics so the damned factory paint didn't steal all the detail awaay,
Especially the eyesbrows..
The factory paint sort of "slushed" the details and I'd say they make MORE than one mold for headsculpts for this one figure.
They probably made 2-3 or maybe more and they probably used COPIES of the ORIGINAL, and so more detail was lost...

yet... if every figure was painted like the one at the SDCC, you'd be looking at those Enterbay pieces which range in the $300 (with diorama), but even without, the price would be over the $100 mark/.
however, surprisingly enough,
if you've ever seen those military figure heads from BBI, Hot Toys and Dragon(DML), the paint app is rather impressive. I love the tones that BBI applies and how realistic it is...I wonder where they get them factory-paitners from :D

anymore votes??especially from those that have this on hand :chew

Back