Nintendo 3DS & 3DSXL General Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What each figure's function is really depends on the game you use it for. Here are Mario's for example:

Game -> Function
Super Smash Bros for Wii U -> Customizable & trainable fighter
Mario Kart 8 -> Unlock Mario Racing Suit for Mii
Hyrule Warriors -> Unlock Weapon, Rupee, or Material bonus
Mario Party 10 -> Use Mario in amiibo party mode
Super Smash Bros for 3DS -> Customizable & trainable fighter
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy + -> Unlock Mario-themed F-22 plane
One Piece: Super Grand Battle! X (JP) -> Unlock Mario Costume for Luffy

In Smash Brothers, each figure is used to level up that specific character and make them stronger. With other games the figures usually unlock special weapons/costumes/skins/etc. They're completely enhancers to the game and not at all necessary.

And how do you make them 'stronger'? Via a concept like XP?

Do people not realize how slippery of a slope this is?!?! How brilliant of an idea this was from Nintendo??!

:lol Seriously, I think I may have just caught 'the bug.' And I still don't really get 'it.'

*insert "Faith No More" reference*

Alright. Checked out the Q&A. Very helpful, but I still don't get WHAT they do. I understand where you can use them, but if you buy Mario does it allow you to play as Mario? And the more often you use it, does it 'level' you up to make your character stronger than the 'other' Mario that comes stock in said game? I guess I don't get why you use them.

For Mario Kart for instance you unlock character themed costumes

1415251856-mario-kart-8-amiibo.jpg

Captain Toad I know u unlock an extra mode (treasure hunt for pixel Toad, one per stage if you have the Toad Amiibo)

Smash Bros it saves they way your character fights and levels up

Hyrule warriors has something and upcoming games like Star Fox, Fire Emblem 3DS, Legend of Zelda, Kirby etc will have amiibo functionality somehow
somewhere

^^^ I'm in love. These things are pretty cool. And obviously you can display them too. I might just pick one up to 'see' the hype. That's pretty neat. :rock

I can guarantee characters that are exclusive to smash bros IE Megaman, Little Mac, Sonic, Ness (I don't know if an upcoming Earthbound game is coming), the dude from Pikmin, Pacman, and the Fire Emblem characters are gonna be super rare.

Characters like Sheik Toon Link Link Zelda Ganondorf will probably be used in upcoming Zelda game

Bowser, Toad, Wario, Peach, Mario, Luigi, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Pikachu, Pokémon related characters will be in abundance

I can guarantee characters that are exclusive to smash bros IE Megaman, Little Mac, Sonic, Ness (I don't know if an upcoming Earthbound game is coming), the dude from Pikmin, Pacman, and the Fire Emblem characters are gonna be super rare.

Characters like Sheik Toon Link Link Zelda Ganondorf will probably be used in upcoming Zelda game

Bowser, Toad, Wario, Peach, Mario, Luigi, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Pikachu, Pokémon related characters will be in abundance

Has Pikachu already been released?

Oh shoot, and so not only is it limited to certain games, but not every amiibo can be played on an amiibo-enabled game? It's only certain ones...Hmmmmm. So I can't use Pikachu on Mario Kart because well, it just can't be.

Will they end up releasing a Mario that's ONLY for Super Smash and a Mario that's ONLY for Mario Kart or can THAT amiibo interchangeable?

Has Pikachu already been released?

yes he should be easy to find.

Nintendo is a bunch of tricksy bastards... they are releasing themed waves as well so characters like Bowser Luigi Mario Peach and Yoshi will have different style amiibos for different series (in this case Mario 10 Party amiibos the new one in the set is Toad)

I would recommend preordering WAVE 4 from Amazon in the upcoming weeks. Here are a list of Amiibos.

Captain Toad the game is being re-packaged with Toad Amiibo, and Mario 10 comes with new Mario amiibo.

Wave 4 and Toad are gonna be hard to find - if you like any of these characters the only way you'll find them is if you preorder in advance (best buy or amazon). They haven't gone up yet.

Rosalina was a Target Exclusive
Meta Knight was a Best Buy Exclusive
Shulk (xenoblade?) was a Gamestop Exclusive
Lucario was a Toys R Us Exclusive

Mee-Two is probably gonna be a Club Nintendo Exclusive

release date sometime in March - April

Oh shoot, and so not only is it limited to certain games, but not every amiibo can be played on an amiibo-enabled game? It's only certain ones...Hmmmmm. So I can't use Pikachu on Mario Kart because well, it just can't be.

Will they end up releasing a Mario that's ONLY for Super Smash and a Mario that's ONLY for Mario Kart or can THAT amiibo interchangeable?

If you use your Mario Smash Amiibo on another game (that's amiibo enabled) it will delete your smash bros data.... yeah Nintendo is ****ed like that. They knew they could force people to keep buying these things.

yes he should be easy to find.

Nintendo is a bunch of tricksy bastards... they are releasing themed waves as well so characters like Bowser Luigi Mario Peach and Yoshi will have different style amiibos for different series (in this case Mario 10 Party amiibos the new one in the set is Toad)

I would recommend preordering WAVE 4 from Amazon in the upcoming weeks. Here are a list of Amiibos.

Captain Toad the game is being re-packaged with Toad Amiibo, and Mario 10 comes with new Mario amiibo.

Has Captain Toad been confirmed for the US? I thought that was going to be a Japanese exclusive re-pack. I really hope we get it, I still haven't bought the game and am looking forward to the Amiibo as well. I already have the Mario 10 box set pre-ordered.

If you use your Mario Smash Amiibo on another game (that's amiibo enabled) it will delete your smash bros data.... yeah Nintendo is ****ed like that. They knew they could force people to keep buying these things.

I knew they were interchangeble by game but that's the first I've heard of the erase date. That really sucks. Then again I'm a sucker and will always buy re-issues of my favorite characters.

I think the NFC technology is pretty limited in storage capacity. If Nintendo wanted to remedy the problem they should've let you backup ur saves on ur Wii U.

I am not entirely sure if the Captain Toad Amiibo repack will be in North America, I read somewhere it was. You can buy the standalone figure at Gamestop via preorders which went up today officially. I think the Best Buy website sold out.

I think the NFC technology is pretty limited in storage capacity. If Nintendo wanted to remedy the problem they should've let you backup ur saves on ur Wii U.

I am not entirely sure if the Captain Toad Amiibo repack will be in North America, I read somewhere it was. You can buy the standalone figure at Gamestop via preorders which went up today officially. I think the Best Buy website sold out.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to hit up Gamestop tomorrow.

I still didn't beat that last bonus stage in Captain Toad. Toysrus shipped me some amiibos on Monday but tracking info doesn't show up and I wasn't charged :dunno

That's for the info., all. Much appreciated. :rock

I'll definitely check these out. Might go for Pikachu or Charizard....but if Mew-two is around the corner, might go for him. I'm not going to attempt to collect them all. But one maybe cool just to try out. :rock

I went Amiibo hunting today!! Came back empty handed (nothing I wanted), but nonetheless, fun!

Walmart.com has preorders up on the Mario Party wave, including Toad.

Back