Nintendo 3DS & 3DSXL General Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Nintendo 3DS XL

So I've still been bouncing back and forth between the whole 'e-shop download' vs 'physical copy,' and after much debate, I'm starting to realize that the eShop download route may not be such a good idea for me (at least as it sits now.)

Come to find out (and Bane eluded to this earlier, in a post), but the downloaded games you buy are associated with the system that bought them, NOT the eShop account that it was purchased under (nor the Nintendo Club account that registered them.) So....and most of you may or may not have known....but it's news to me....if your current system breaks for whatever reason, and you simply want to take out your SD and put it into a new system, the card won't be readable. Basically, you must do a system to system transfer first. And while I can understand WHY it's required, for those of us that break a system or have it stolen, etc., you're basically 'up a creek without a paddle.' You're 'old' SD card is useless unless you transferred it to a new system first, and thus all of those purchases (and thus money spent) are lost.

Am I understanding all of that right? Because that was a big 'woah' for me. Something I didn't quite understand at first....Kind of big deal, IMO, and makes me glad I'm realizing this now. :lol

So I've still been bouncing back and forth between the whole 'e-shop download' vs 'physical copy,' and after much debate, I'm starting to realize that the eShop download route may not be such a good idea for me (at least as it sits now.)

Come to find out (and Bane eluded to this earlier, in a post), but the downloaded games you buy are associated with the system that bought them, NOT the eShop account that it was purchased under (nor the Nintendo Club account that registered them.) So....and most of you may or may not have known....but it's news to me....if your current system breaks for whatever reason, and you simply want to take out your SD and put it into a new system, the card won't be readable. Basically, you must do a system to system transfer first. And while I can understand WHY it's required, for those of us that break a system or have it stolen, etc., you're basically 'up a creek without a paddle.' You're 'old' SD card is useless unless you transferred it to a new system first, and thus all of those purchases (and thus money spent) are lost.

Am I understanding all of that right? Because that was a big 'woah' for me. Something I didn't quite understand at first....Kind of big deal, IMO, and makes me glad I'm realizing this now. :lol

This is the main reason I don't like purchasing my games as "downloads".

You got it right. It's the same on the Wii U too despite using a "Nintendo ID". No idea why they do it so *** backwards, but it definitely makes you think twice every time you make a download purchase.

If you buy a new system, there is a utility to transfer, but if you lose your break the system, then you need to call Nintendo and hope they will allow you to get your games back. :slap

This is the main reason I don't like purchasing my games as "downloads".

Screw downloads, gimme my disk or cartridge.

I think that's what I'll end up doing, at least for this system, and hopefully, they work this out for the next system.

You got it right. It's the same on the Wii U too despite using a "Nintendo ID". No idea why they do it so *** backwards, but it definitely makes you think twice every time you make a download purchase.

If you buy a new system, there is a utility to transfer, but if you lose your break the system, then you need to call Nintendo and hope they will allow you to get your games back. :slap

Thanks for clarifying. And yeah, it blows my mind that they would create a system like this. And I'm sure they have their reasons, but from the consumers standpoint, I'm really struggling to see the benefits of eShop downloads, especially when the price point is the same. I like the idea of the digital downloads, but with this lack of 'insurance' for my purchases, it seems like I'd be throwing away my money.

I was really hoping for something like Apple does with iTunes. They authorize up to 'x' amount of people that can play a download under any given ID. And if you accidentally delete something, you re-download it, without a hitch.

Re: Nintendo 3DS

We finally got the big Mii Plaza update in the US today!! $15 bundle for the 4 new games or $5 each.

To get the new version just open up Mii Plaza after the system update.

Who's going to buy the new content?

Who's going to buy the new content?

I was really excited until I saw the $5 per game price tag. Street pass is a lot of fun, but these games are not $5 experiences, imo.

I might be singing a different tune if I didn't live in the midwest and score 1-2 streetpasses a week, if I'm lucky.

Wasn't sure which thread to post in, but Club Nintendo prizes were announced today. Go check em' out, if you're a member. I'm not overly wow'd. I'll probably go with Zelda: Link's Awakening or Sakura Samurai.

I went for the CD. I got the Mario playing cards last year. Wish they had a Luigi hat.

Nothing thrilling so I'm going for CD as well. I so wish I had gotten the statue back then :.(

Back