Nintendo 3DS & 3DSXL General Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Nintendo 3DS XL

Ocarina of Time. Forget that it is a remake. It is the BEST version of Ocarina of Time by far. Brought back so many great memories.

Ocarina of Time. Forget that it is a remake. It is the BEST version of Ocarina of Time by far. Brought back so many great memories.

I was checking that one out tonight. And I'm embarrassed to say it, but....I never completed the original N64 version, so it's definitely on my radar for potential purchases.

It's between that and MarioKart. Random. I know. :lol

Got the XL and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. Love the game! Recommend the **** out of it.

So many choices! I'm pumped I picked this thing up (even though I've yet to buy a game.)

So question for all owners: Is there an advantage to buying a game like Luigi's Mansion via the eShop versus getting an actual disc/cartridge? Obviously, having an actually hard copy is nice and should anything ever happen you have it, but are the digital copies transferable?

Pros for both? Cons for both? Any help would be appreciated.

So many choices! I'm pumped I picked this thing up (even though I've yet to buy a game.)

So question for all owners: Is there an advantage to buying a game like Luigi's Mansion via the eShop versus getting an actual disc/cartridge? Obviously, having an actually hard copy is nice and should anything ever happen you have it, but are the digital copies transferable?

I'll always prefer a physical copy, but TBH there's nothing wrong with a digital download. Memory is cheap for the 3DS, N will let you redownload to a new 3DS if something happens to the original and having games installed on the device can be really convenient. It's definitely a personal preference kind of thing.

Honestly I don't see many advantages to going digital for 3ds. The cards are small enough that it's not much of a hassle to take a few with you somewhere and you don't really save much money. That said, there aren't really any drawbacks, either.

As for transfers, I believe you can transfer them between systems. For instance, if you have a 3ds and buy an XL, you can transfer your games to the XL. The only caveat is that you must have both systems with you, so you can't trade-in or sell the 3ds, then create an account on the XL and recover your things. I'm almost positive that's how it works but not 100%, so maybe double check.

And Nintendo just put out an update that lets you transfer save data from a physical version of a game to a digital one, but not back to physical.

One last thing: there's a deal going on where you get a free game download from a choice of five if you buy a 3ds and Luigi's Mansion or some other game but, I'm not sure if that applies to digital versions of the game so you may want to look into that if you've not already.

I prefer physical copies because I like to have the box and manual with the game card. I also have the option to sell the game if I want.

I prefer physical copies for full retail games, but I still download a lot of virtual console and eshop exclusive games.

My first (and probably only) full retail download will be Animal Crossing simply because I know I will want that game available to me at all times no matter where I am.

I know if you have bought a 3ds xl recently and you buy Luigis Mansion(retail) and register them both you get a free game. The only two I remember you can get is Super mario 3d Land and Starfox I believe. I'm not sure if you get that deal if you buy a digital copy or not. Oh and between Zelda and Mario Kart that is a hard one. I have both and they are fun as hell.

I know if you have bought a 3ds xl recently and you buy Luigis Mansion(retail) and register them both you get a free game. The only two I remember you can get is Super mario 3d Land and Starfox I believe. I'm not sure if you get that deal if you buy a digital copy or not. Oh and between Zelda and Mario Kart that is a hard one. I have both and they are fun as hell.

Yeah, thanks for the heads up. I checked it out earlier, but not sure if I really want Luigi's Mansion or that new Pokemon game. Those are the only two that they had listed to make the offer valid. I'd rather just buy a game that I'd like a be done with it. Luigi's Mansion is tempting, but there's so many others that I want.

I'll always prefer a physical copy, but TBH there's nothing wrong with a digital download. Memory is cheap for the 3DS, N will let you redownload to a new 3DS if something happens to the original and having games installed on the device can be really convenient. It's definitely a personal preference kind of thing.

Honestly I don't see many advantages to going digital for 3ds. The cards are small enough that it's not much of a hassle to take a few with you somewhere and you don't really save much money. That said, there aren't really any drawbacks, either.

As for transfers, I believe you can transfer them between systems. For instance, if you have a 3ds and buy an XL, you can transfer your games to the XL. The only caveat is that you must have both systems with you, so you can't trade-in or sell the 3ds, then create an account on the XL and recover your things. I'm almost positive that's how it works but not 100%, so maybe double check.

And Nintendo just put out an update that lets you transfer save data from a physical version of a game to a digital one, but not back to physical.

One last thing: there's a deal going on where you get a free game download from a choice of five if you buy a 3ds and Luigi's Mansion or some other game but, I'm not sure if that applies to digital versions of the game so you may want to look into that if you've not already.

Thanks for the advice. Checked into it earlier. :rock

I prefer physical copies because I like to have the box and manual with the game card. I also have the option to sell the game if I want.

I prefer physical copies for full retail games, but I still download a lot of virtual console and eshop exclusive games.

My first (and probably only) full retail download will be Animal Crossing simply because I know I will want that game available to me at all times no matter where I am.

Much appreciated it, all. I think the physical copy makes most sense, but I'm a big fan of digital versions. I like the idea of being able to download them again whenever. But didn't

Will do some research for a bit longer, before I make a purchase.

I'll probably be posting some more newb questions, so thanks again.

Alright, all. Here's comes Round 2 of questions (And pardon the ignorance. I tried looking these up, but am not getting straight-forward answers.)

1. I have games that I downloaded on the Wii Shop Channel (NEW classics, etc.) Are those games transferable to the 3DS (or is there any rumors about that option becoming a reality in the future?)

2. Is the Wii U Nintendo eShop and the 3DS Nintendo eShop integrated some how, such that all of your purchases are recognized under one account? (I understand that they wouldn't be playable on the other consoles, but the idea of some organization or 'cloud-like' set-up is what I'm getting at.)

Alright, all. Here's comes Round 2 of questions (And pardon the ignorance. I tried looking these up, but am not getting straight-forward answers.)

1. I have games that I downloaded on the Wii Shop Channel (NEW classics, etc.) Are those games transferable to the 3DS (or is there any rumors about that option becoming a reality in the future?)

2. Is the Wii U Nintendo eShop and the 3DS Nintendo eShop integrated some how, such that all of your purchases are recognized under one account? (I understand that they wouldn't be playable on the other consoles, but the idea of some organization or 'cloud-like' set-up is what I'm getting at.)
1. No and no,

2. I think so, yeah. If it's not that way right now, it will be eventually

1. No and no,

2. I think so, yeah. If it's not that way right now, it will be eventually

Thanks for the quick reply. Much appreciated. I'm thinking of dumping the whole 'brick and mortar store' route for purchasing games and going the digital route. Still not sold yet, but I know that's where this is all heading in the future.

At the same time, I don't want to start downloading a bunch of games, only to run into compatibility issues down the road. If the eShop is Nintendo's version of the X-Box Live Marketplace and something that looks like they're going to commit to, then I'm down. I'm just not a fan of having a huge collection of games sitting on the shelves, when I can hold that same library on a SD card.

Edit: I guess a better analogy that I was looking for is what Sony did with the Vita and its ability to integrate with your PS account on PSN.

Last edited:
Back