Ninja Turtles License Acquired!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lecture

My thoughts exactly!

I always thought it was funny that the Saturday morning TMNT kids cartoon was developed from an awesomely violent B&W comic book!

The newer 2003 cartoon was more faithful to the source material. I grew up with the 80s TMNT toon. And I can admit the newer 2003 version is better overall. I own the first three volumes of the older cartoon and the newer ones and they just don't hold up anymore. I think if a lot of people went back and watched them now, they would be grateful they based these off the superior comics.

The newer 2003 cartoon was more faithful to the source material. I grew up with the 80s TMNT toon. And I can admit the newer 2003 version is better overall. I own the first three volumes of the older cartoon and the newer ones and they just don't hold up anymore. I think if a lot of people went back and watched them now, they would be grateful they based these off the superior comics.

:lecture

You are absolutely right. The 2003 series kept it more real because they actually had Peter Laird attached plus they needed the okay from Mirage Studios for all story lines so they wouldn't get too ridiculous. The 2003 series is fun enough for the kids but true enough to the original for the adults who read the old comics.

There's no accounting for nostalgia.

The 2003 series sounds interesting, I may have to look in to it.

knowing SS the Excl will most likely be the Colored bandanas and the reg will be the red ones.

That would be awesome!I will spend my money on them if they come with the colored Bandana`s.I grew up with the Cartoon so i prefer those Turtles versions.

This would be awful actually from all perspectives.

The statues should look like this especially the way they are advertising them:

leonardoi.jpg

Which looks nothing like this:

tmnt1987series.jpg

The look is absolutely different and just coloring the first bandana blue would look like the laziest custom. The 1987 series look which a lot of people are referencing had a distinctive look to it as well as costuming with the letters on the belts etc. Even the 2003 series had a distinctive different look that was closer to the original but still different enough to visually tell. The original comic turtles, had tails, had really thin necks, very large feet and slimmer bodies, where the cartoon versions had thicker more circular bodies and everything else was proportionate.

The best case scenario is that they offer up SSE versions to match the interiors of the comic books back then.

teenagemutantninjaturtln.jpg

2576319536_74879b8c2c.jpg

It wasn't just the bandanas that were colored though, the knee and elbow wraps were also colored. Even without that, I personally don't think the exclusive will be a swappable head with a different bandana. But I could be wrong since the sculpt looks more like the cartoon than the comic.

i know but i like the way the 2003 cartoon and the movies did they didnt color the straps man i really want hot toys to do movie versions of the turtles i would buy then in a heartbeat.:monkey2

The way I see it, the interiors were in black-and-white so doing figures or statues in the style of the comic books but with the different-colored bandanas is a good compromise. I was also always an advocate for interchangeable heads on the NECA figures. Even with Raphael they could have given him a brighter, more-cartooney shade of red as an alternate.

I absolutely understand that they initially all wore the red but at the same time we all need to understand that there's maybe 1% of the population that was introduced to them in that way. Even when I was a kid and I learned about the all-red bandanas it was a curiosity, a footnote, an obscure piece of trivia before they got their "real" colors.

I also don't see the uniform red as the kind of thing that Eastman and Laird would have refused to change if asked. It's pretty inconsequential and I doubt it ever factored into the stories themselves (I could be wrong) and if you could travel back in time and say "hey guys, maybe they'd be easier to tell apart if they had different colors, don't you think?" they might have even done it themselves.

But yeah, again, the whole thing can be solved by making interchangeable heads. Something that simple would render the entire issue a non-issue.

I never saw the 2003 TMNT cartoon. I'll have to check this out. :D

Interchangable heads is the laziest thing I've ever read. Its not about coloring or whether you like one over the other, its about what the look is most like. The cartoons where they had colored bandanas had a very distinctive look and that is what fans of the cartoon want. The comics never had that not to mention had a different look all to themselves. If NECA had made them with interchangable head with colored bandanas it'd be one of those thing where you go "Hey they have colored bandanas" and then immediately go "They don't look like the cartoon". I really hope they never do it.

You are right,i didn`t think about the Colored Bandanas on Elbows,Wrists and Knees.

Ah well...I might get these anyway as i want something cool to represent Turtles,all i have now is the Old School Turtles figures from 1988.

I couldn't find the 2003 series on Amazon. I guess it isn't out on DVD.

You aren't joking. They are real sporatic when it comes to the releases of TMNT. I taped them from when they first started coming on. I have since had to download torrents of the first 2 seasons. The later seasons were still good and expanded upon the Turtles Universe. One of the best story arks they had was the Exodus 2-parter. Not to ruin the story but the Turtles themselves really paid the price in their "final" battle with the Shredder, we're talking Turtles with broken limbs. You will enjoy it.

Wow, that sounds like a great two part episode. I'm assuming that is from the 2003 series?

i always hated how they brung back baxter stockman i mean the guy like never died, the shredder even turn out to be krang or somthing like that it was wierd.

I understand the love for the 1987 series but if SSC is going to do it I defintiely don't want them to ^^^^^ out and go the lazy route. Do them right and do them separate.

Wow, that sounds like a great two part episode. I'm assuming that is from the 2003 series?

Yep, I believe it was the season finale of season 3. The 2003 series felt more complete IMO.
The premise of Exodus is Shredder and Kirai are leaving Earth, so the Turtles need to get inside his fortress compound in the middle of New York City in 4 teams - April and Casey, Splinter and Leonardo, Donatello & Leatherhead & Fugitoid, Mikey and Raphael. Their mission - don't let Oroko Saki aka Shredder leave this planet to try and ruin another.
The Foot were also given the status they had in the comics with elite ninja, the Shredder's own personal guards, and various other levels. The Foot were no joke, and Shredder was able to beat all 4 turtles on more than one occasion.

Interchangeable heads is a terrible idea.

Swaping a head out with a colored bandana does not turn this:
turtles1.jpg

Into this:
newssuggest_bm387jwn.jpg

I've actually loved the 80's version look best and like the color coded pads to go with the headbands.

I know Bebop and Rocksteady were not part of the original comics from what I've read, but like those guys a lot. I got so immersed into the old cartoon it's hard to see the newer stuff without those characters.

I thought Krang in the Android Body and the Technodrome was awesome. I wish that stuff was actually part of the original content of Eastman and Laird because it's a bit shocking to see hardly any of that is part of the original story.

I don't want the Sideshow stuff to be the turtles with the long necks and weird long bodies. I wouldn't mind if they made them look like the movie turtles because I really liked those movies (except #3).

I guess I'm too nostalgic with TMNT. I still have over 70 of the old figures and a bunch of other stuff.

Back