Newbie Attempt at Dio

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for sharing your part list. You really did an amazing job. Did you scratch build the vents (on the cube portion)?
Hey, Weezer! Yeah, had to scratch build as I couldn't find anything, even in a model kit, that could do the trick.

I used these 1" plastic strips, one for each side, then used tiny L beams for the vents. It's an optical illusion that makes it look like vents but they are just glued to the top, giving the look of vents from the shadows.

I can do a close up if you want to see. It's one of those things I settled on, could have been better.

EF272316-49AC-4C92-A495-A72232F96042-11951-00000727EDCC72A3.jpg

Here you can see the vents are raised. I was thinking about painting the bottom half black, so it gives a more visible shadow or the appearance of being hollow. It's essentially a V beam glued on it's edges.

I cut a hole in the box so I could hide the battery and circuit board. I put a cover on and put the plastic vent pieces on top of that cover.

Last edited:
Looks awesome Solo_bones. I always pictured a Sandtrooper sniper hiding behind one. They have sniper plates attached to one of their leg armor - so I read. :)

LOL, I think I saw someone do that on a dio with a Moisture Vaporator? There was a scene with one down and another shooting. Can't remember where I saw that?

Last edited:
No doubt, I feel the same way about Tatooine. Brings me back to 77-78-79.

The lights weren't that tricky, just needed to hear from some experts on changing wire size to existing wires that were larger, was worried about shorting out circuit board. I found out that's no problem. If you've got some spare cash you can buy a complete set (board, lights, switch) online or make yourself. I recommend buying if you're not comfy making anything custom.

Hey, looks like you got a MV in the background...let's see that profile picture in larger size?

Thanks man!

Hi Solo,

The MV in the background was photo shopped by a guy who used to frequent here called "The Dude Person".

I had made a small sand base for my Sandtrooper and he photoshopped in a cool Tatooine background.

Sadly the pic is gone from his original post and all that remains of it is my avatar pic.

I'd still love to tackle a MV one day.

Last edited:
Yep! That was it. Too funny.

You should do the vaporator. It was and is still a fun project. I just hope my final paint and weathering go well, I don't have much experience outside of one Marmit sandtrooper.

I'd love to but at this moent in time display space is not my friend.

Maybe when I have my man cave I can build a Vaporator.

I look forward to the final pics.

Here you can see the vents are raised. I was thinking about painting the bottom half black, so it gives a more visible shadow or the appearance of being hollow. It's essentially a V beam glued on it's edges.

The vents look great. I don't think you need to add black. It looks good in the photos. As for weathering check out this build. It might inspire you. I'm a fan of his work.

https://www.starwarz.com/modelshop/make/vaporator.htm

Thanks for sharing your secrets.:wink1:

The vents look great. I don't think you need to add black. It looks good in the photos. As for weathering check out this build. It might inspire you. I'm a fan of his work.

https://www.starwarz.com/modelshop/make/vaporator.htm

Thanks for sharing your secrets.:wink1:

Yeah, I saw this, it almost made me stop my project and rework it. Very impressive and incredibly detailed. Awesome stuff. The guy sure makes you want to do things right.

5 years on the net and have not seen this.. thanks for link now for 7 hours of reading to do...

Wow, i'd love to see you place them in a sand pit or similar.
This is what I could do for a photo, but I am planning to create a little dio for this, placing it in the sand with it's own Sandie.. This just doesn't fit in here right now.

9A976B84-E1B6-4138-8656-013689C85443-14393-0000087455322ECD.jpg

1E34C6B7-3813-4224-BA2E-188528CB807F-14393-00000874E0373057.jpg
759320BD-032A-47D5-84C4-49B0DFC55992-14393-000008758C7BCD8A.jpg

Last edited:
Missed today's updates....that is freaking awesome Solo. Too bad your stuff is so space consuming. I'd love to see what else you could do. Amazing work though bud.

Missed today's updates....that is freaking awesome Solo. Too bad your stuff is so space consuming. I'd love to see what else you could do. Amazing work though bud.

Thanks, IMPoor! Here's another angle..i've changed it a bit since the photo. But I'm going to put the MV in some sand after it's got the final paint and weathering...still got some space left. :wink1:

70AFE394-92A9-48AA-8F22-1D51FA1C40A8-5420-0000033474260F07.jpg

6102E2C7-3B6F-47B3-9A70-1946E7FA1812-2267-0000014D94ACAFC1.jpg

Last edited:
love the dio...very cool...do you have kids? lol..cuz mine would be in that all the time..sigh...
Ha! :exactly: Yep, we have two, but one's too small to reach, she just makes the sandies take barbie on a date once in a while. The boy knows not to touch, but he's got his lego Star Wars...so he's into that.

Back