new TDK Joker sculpt

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What i want to see someone do (And perhaps what some already do?) Is to make the sculpt based primarily off a regular Heath Ledger, then, add the mouth scarring, and add the joker makeup. I think alot of people are so focused on grabbing the direct joker likeness, that parts of the actual Heath get left out, or misrepresented under all that makeup. Thats all it was at the end of the day, Heath Ledger in makeup. So they should sculpt just a regular ledger, then detail it/paint it up.

If anyone is going to be an artist of any kind and go public with whatever it is you do better grow a very thick skin. People respond to things differently, so be prepared for the negative as well as the positive. Some of it is down-right mean and one better be able to handle that.

Hey Mr. SS, I admit I was shocked at your reply (post 43) on my earlier post. But I guess your reply was addressed to everyone who've been giving in their critique, it just so happens to be under my earlier post? Or I think I got misinterpreted or something.

Anyway, the reason why I posted earlier is because I want to get some sculpting tips. I want to learn sculpting particularly the hair and the tools used. I have a block of Sculpey here still shrink wrapped because I don't know what to do with it.

Sorry, man. Didn't mean to offend or anything. My reply to your question kinda turned into my rant post.

For 1:6 sculpts you won't find many tools available, you end up having to make them. I have all sorts of odd things I've made, among my favorites are several shafts from used pens. The tips are good for detailing and you can stick craft wire in the opposite end to create various loop tools. I also use this thing that came from a manicure set, I think it's a cuticle shaper. You'll work out what you like/need as you go.

What i want to see someone do (And perhaps what some already do?) Is to make the sculpt based primarily off a regular Heath Ledger, then, add the mouth scarring, and add the joker makeup. I think alot of people are so focused on grabbing the direct joker likeness, that parts of the actual Heath get left out, or misrepresented under all that makeup. Thats all it was at the end of the day, Heath Ledger in makeup. So they should sculpt just a regular ledger, then detail it/paint it up.

Had the same thought,working that out now. Someone mentioned an "egghead" effect, note there are areas on this sculpt where he's wearing sideburns for the swapping face thing. I colorized them in the first shot. I based this on several pics, mainly the make-up test shot. It seems he was clenching his teeth in the other shot, his lips are drwawn out very thin and his jaw seems a bit wide, chin shorter. Looks a bit different than he does in the other shot with a relaxed face. This is also a WIP and I've only got about 3 hours in it so far, so be kind :D

00heathsculpt2.jpg

Looks pretty good so far. You might want this picture too:

ledgecz2ip4.jpg

For the other side the part of TDK where he's dressed as a police officer has a shot showing the other side.

Great shot, thanks! Didn't realize through the red make-up how short that left scar is! Looks like I need to soften the frown lines quite a bit, though they seem very pronounced in the make-up. Probably just highlighted for effect. Should I leave his eyebrows? It seems they're ommitted from most Joker sculpts, but I want to do an honor guard option with this head, so I would need them. Maybe just take them down to barely there so they at least serve as a painting guide?

Sorry, man. Didn't mean to offend or anything. My reply to your question kinda turned into my rant post.

For 1:6 sculpts you won't find many tools available, you end up having to make them. I have all sorts of odd things I've made, among my favorites are several shafts from used pens. The tips are good for detailing and you can stick craft wire in the opposite end to create various loop tools. I also use this thing that came from a manicure set, I think it's a cuticle shaper. You'll work out what you like/need as you go.

Ey thanks for the advice bro!

Great shot, thanks! Didn't realize through the red make-up how short that left scar is! Looks like I need to soften the frown lines quite a bit, though they seem very pronounced in the make-up. Probably just highlighted for effect. Should I leave his eyebrows? It seems they're ommitted from most Joker sculpts, but I want to do an honor guard option with this head, so I would need them. Maybe just take them down to barely there so they at least serve as a painting guide?

Keep the eyebrows. He still has them with all the makeup on, and they were there in the Hot Toys sculpts as well.

The lines on his face are mainly from makeup, he would scrunch up his face and they would apply the makeup. If you give him an expression that would make those lines then fine, otherwise it's just in the paint job.

I did a quick comparisson by drawing some vertical and horizontal lines:

analysexu0.jpg

Por: You almost absolutly nailed the nose and the mouth. The eyes are a bit too big which is fine as he somehow opened his eyes more in the film as he usually used to. Therefore the eyebrows are a bit raised... I dont know if this is pro or con...

Con: The cheeks. They are simply still too soft. The ears are a bit too... äh... dont know the english word...
The area between nose and eyebrows needs to be redone.

Alltogether this sculpt s far better than your first attempt. I'd buy it if you complete it and maybe work over the minor cons. Especially the cheeks and the eybrows should be improved in order to achieve a good Ledger likeniss. He is definitly in there you could make a great head there. Hope this "criticisim" does not offend you in any way. I tried to be a constructive as I can. From my point of view this head is great for a 3 hour work and I am courius what it will look like after 10 or even 20 hours ;)

Oh by the way: I recognized that the heads I bought from you are all slightly too big to match with my other 1/6 heads which is quite sad as they are great. I have no problem with recasting (would NEVER sell any of these!) them in order to get them a bit smaller but some details get lost which is sad too... Did you already recognized this issue?

Last edited:
The space between Heath's eyes is a little broader and flatter than in your sculpt, and his top eyelids a bit less defined than your version, but otherwise it's looking good!

It's hard to tell from the pictures since they hair, but the features of your face might be just a tiny bit too large compared to the whole head (it could be the hair making the head seem larger though). I'm taking fractions of a millimeter here, but in this scale it makes a difference.

that ones coming along nicely. droop the nose a tad more, give him a more chiseled, squared off jaw area, and top of the neck etc. nice progress though! pretty quick work for 3 hours!
as i was saying before, i reckon thats the way to go doing a basic heath, just add makeup. this shot especially shows how evidentally he's in there, in my opinion
00heathsculpt2.jpg

Last edited:
Further mods, different lighting....

00heathsculptmod.jpg

KingGraySkull... I'm bummed you think the heads are over sized :monkey2 I do sculpt heads a bit larger than most in order to offset the bulk of the costume. I've seen too many heads that look right on their own then look like little peanut heads once a couple layers worth of costume are applied. I put this together, hope it helps. I don't think I'm going too far over the norm.....

00sizecomp.jpg

Awesome improvements - the tip of the nose may be just a little bit too bulbous now, but great changes, especially between the eyes.

I hope that you consider making a mold of this before you add the scars. I would probably be interested in just a regular Heath head.

KingGraySkull... I'm bummed you think the heads are over sized :monkey2 I do sculpt heads a bit larger than most in order to offset the bulk of the costume. I've seen too many heads that look right on their own then look like little peanut heads once a couple layers worth of costume are applied. I put this together, hope it helps. I don't think I'm going too far over the norm.....

Maybe I was a bit exagurating. All in all the heads I got from you are great. But especially the Ras is a bit too big from my personal view. Though I have to admit that I did not paint it and put on a body yet. Maybe this will change my point of view. Still can recommend the heads I have bought.

Size on your ne sculpr looks far better. For me you nailed it now. I think you should now cast it, add some rough scars and hair and roughly paint it to look where you are. Anyway I'm already going to buy it. Would be interested in a version for my Cop Joker and maybe another one for the nurse version.

Oh I just reconized that Ledger must have done sth. with his upperlip in the film. Your one is absolutly Ledger accurate but for Joker likeness you need to work on it... If this does make sense...

The Hot Toys Bank Robber Joker head is the best and I think we are all supporting that by buying them more than anyone else's custom heads of him. And Shawn, I'm a fan of your work,I got your Ras head,but to say Chris Howes' head looks like a modified Ken doll is messed up. That's a great headsculpt and I think it's low when an artist takes shots at another artist,especially when trying to make your product look good over someone elses'.

I've seen the Howes head painted regular,without makeup,so it looks like Ledger with scars and that's a fantastic likeness.

The Hot Toys Bank Robber Joker head is the best and I think we are all supporting that by buying them more than anyone else's custom heads of him. And Shawn, I'm a fan of your work,I got your Ras head,but to say Chris Howes' head looks like a modified Ken doll is messed up. That's a great headsculpt and I think it's low when an artist takes shots at another artist,especially when trying to make your product look good over someone elses'.
I've seen the Howes head painted regular,without makeup,so it looks like Ledger with scars and that's a fantastic likeness.

That's not what I was trying to do, at all. I apologize if I offended you or anyone else. We all have our opinions of everything, and that was mine. I think (hope) I was as critical of my work in that post as I was of anyone elses. People are far more cruel in opinions of stuff from every company/artist. Being an artist here doesn't mean I don't have opinions like anyone else. I generally don't voice them, for that very reason. 99% of the time, it's unprofessional and pointless. It's probably the lst time I'll do it. But I felt I had a point. I was trying to get to the root of something regarding the strengths/weaknesses of every sculptor's work, my own included. And I did aknowledge Chris's head is good. How can it not be? Tons of people love it. But his sculpt, as with all, is flawed somewhat. I forget where, but in some post Chris took a couple shots at Bob Dullam. My point there is, artist or not, everyone has their opinion. But 99% of the time they're best kept to one's self. That post was my 1%.

Back