Statue New LOTR Maquette Line Announced!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this could be very exciting to me this was definatly the biggest toy fair news announced.

I am completely thrilled at this announcement (shocker right :lol), but at the same time cautiously optimistic:

1) The PFs have really impressed me so far, and I really hope that Sideshow doesn't release these to the detriment of an already "slow" line.

2) I have a large percentage of the existing 1/6 line, and really wouldn't consider the Gandalf, Strider (which to me look vastly superior in their PF forms), Gimli or Legolas (again with the PF); but I would like to get Arwen and the armored Boromir.

3) But even those that I would purchase mentioned above, I would much prefer as PFs

It will really take something special to make me want to replace or add to my current collection of 1/6 statues - which as of now is around 110 pieces in total (SSW in sum).

yup, i think i'll be sticking with their PF, LSB, and diorama lines, unless they come out with a creature piece (shelob, watcher in the water, troll, fell beast...but then again, i prefer these to come out as pieces of their aforementioned existing lines) then i might rethink this statement.

Wow, I was all excited gonna get all of them til I found out it was 1/6 scale. At least it will be cheaper for the rest who are getting them I guess.

CRAPOLA! Finally starting to slow down to a piece or so a year (PFs). Relatively content with what I've got so far (even though uncontent with the characters they've chosen to repeat over and over again). JUST able to contain my collection in the display cases. Just.

I wish they weren't so interesting. Wish I had more display space. Wish I had more money. Wish I had a bigger house. I'm gonna be doomed.

Glad to see Gimli is one of the characters. But if I were to truly be able to complete my 1/6th scale, wish they would start with the un- or under-represented characters in full body.....Eowyn, FARAMIR (I don't care if some of you didn't appreciate SS's efforts in the doll line, he still needs to be shown in 1/6th with the rest dangit! ), Denethor (hell, I'll even take a flaming one), Haldir, Eomer. I will never feel my collection complete without those characters. :mad:

These look nice, maybe they can use the same head sculpts for a 1/6 figure line?

But seriously - I hope this doesn't take away resources from the PF line. That's how I'd like to see an Arwen PF.

Glad to see Gimli is one of the characters. But if I were to truly be able to complete my 1/6th scale, wish they would start with the un- or under-represented characters in full body.....Eowyn, FARAMIR (I don't care if some of you didn't appreciate SS's efforts in the doll line, he still needs to be shown in 1/6th with the rest dangit! ), Denethor (hell, I'll even take a flaming one), Haldir, Eomer. I will never feel my collection complete without those characters. :mad:

That's where SS has my attention, on the road less traveled/or not traveled at all.

:drink

Great news!! This definitely came out of left-field (no hints from any of "those in the know" who hang out on the forums). So far, it appears to be "The Good Guys Maquette Series" - no hint of any of my beloved baddies. I do have to say this though - if the Legolas maquette is as dynamic as the WIP drawing, it could put the static-posed Legolas PF to shame.

Overall, it's SO nice to hear this kind of news!! :banana

(The Carnage 1:1 Bust behind one of the guys in the video looks much better than the preview pic! I do like me some of doze dere bad guys! :naughty)

I am also happy about this, however, I do think the lines are getting too be too many. We have PF's, weta 1/6, dioramas, legendary busts, 12" figures. I think the price point should be reasonable, otherwise, we are looking at another failed line. I think $125-150 is affordable, will have to contemplate if more expensive because it is so small. Boromir, Strider, Arwen are the best sketches IMHO, they look like good poses. Gandalf is a pass for me, also not fond of Gimli's or Legolas' poses. I personally really like weta's line so sideshow will have to make a real effort to please with another 1/6 line. So far, the PF's have been great and I like some of the dios. The ringwraith dio is one of my favorites so far, so creepy.

Great news!! This definitely came out of left-field (no hints from any of "those in the know" who hang out on the forums). So far, it appears to be "The Good Guys Maquette Series" - no hint of any of my beloved baddies. I do have to say this though - if the Legolas maquette is as dynamic as the WIP drawing, it could put the static-posed Legolas PF to shame.

Overall, it's SO nice to hear this kind of news!! :banana

(The Carnage 1:1 Bust behind one of the guys in the video looks much better than the preview pic! I do like me some of doze dere bad guys! :naughty)

SS recent hinted at some new LOTR news, I just thought it would be 1:1 busts. I noticed the good guy theme as well...looks like a question for "Ask Sideshow".

I am also happy about this, however, I do think the lines are getting too be too many. We have PF's, weta 1/6, dioramas, legendary busts, 12" figures. I think the price point should be reasonable, otherwise, we are looking at another failed line. I think $125-150 is affordable, will have to contemplate if more expensive because it is so small. Boromir, Strider, Arwen are the best sketches IMHO, they look like good poses. Gandalf is a pass for me, also not fond of Gimli's or Legolas' poses. I personally really like weta's line so sideshow will have to make a real effort to please with another 1/6 line. So far, the PF's have been great and I like some of the dios. The ringwraith dio is one of my favorites so far, so creepy.

There is no way these will be selling in the $125-150 range. Like I said before, look at the price difference between Weta's previous enviroments and their new Argonath environment.

Gandalf is a pass for me, also not fond of Gimli's or Legolas' poses. I personally really like weta's line so sideshow will have to make a real effort to please with another 1/6 line.

I agree and disagree, somehow. Weta's line had plenty of pieces that could be improved upon, especially in the likeness department, and in this regard I think SS will knock them out of the park. The Strider wip already looks miles better than all 3 full-figure Aragorn Weta pieces, for example. However Weta's figures had a much more realistic, reserved approach to most of them. I'm hoping SS doesn't go crazy over the top action pieces, like the Gandalf, which looks like a pass for me as well. Gandalf is a quiet character at heart, SS's concept drawing looks like it should be shooting lightning like Emperor Palpatine. Which is a shock after their perfect Gandalf the Grey PF. Legolas also looks way too animated and contorted imo, I find it hard to imagine a scenario in which he would be looking that uncomfortable. But the Boromir, Aragorn and Arwen are surefire winners. Gimli could be hit or miss, I'll remain optimistic for now.

Like others I hope they attack gaps in the Weta line as well, like Faramir, Denethor, Elendil and Isildur. But if this is meant to be a new start to the 1/6h Weta line (they did mention it would be a long line), then that's great as well, since newcomers would be hard pressed to get any main characters for decent prices out of the Weta line. And chances are most of the SS pieces will be superior sculpts.

There is no way these will be selling in the $125-150 range. Like I said before, look at the price difference between Weta's previous enviroments and their new Argonath environment.

Everything from the Weta direct store is much more expensive, I don't think they have the factory and shipping deals SS has in place. Also the Argonath is a very limited piece.

Sounds good. Looks like we shall see many of the characters who won't be represented in PF in this Line

:rock:rock:rock

If you look on the Sideshow website, there are currently 4 dioramas that are still in stock. Every other diorama you can still get on a waitlist for. Only Crack of Doom is completely sold out.

The Dioramas are not selling well. Therefore, I think the Dioramas are about to get phased out. We may have already seen the last one.

So... You replace the Dioramas with the 12 inch maquettes.

That's what I think is happening. Personally, I love the Dioramas because they are dynamic poses where characters interact with each other. If the dioramas continue, then great. But if the maquettes will be produced at the cost of the dioramas being discontinued, I would prefer the dioramas because the maquettes are stand alone characters and both the PFs and the Wetas are stand alone. Dioramas are unique because they show interaction between characters.

Having said that, I think the new maquettes look very nice. The poses look like they will be very dynamic action poses with a little bit of background or base with a bit of the environment as opposed to plain black bases. So I think they look very good.

I just wish that the maquettes aren't being done as a replacement for the dioramas.

These look nice, maybe they can use the same head sculpts for a 1/6 figure line?

But seriously - I hope this doesn't take away resources from the PF line. That's how I'd like to see an Arwen PF.

As I just posted, I'm more concerned that the maquettes will take away resources from the dioramas and not the PFs. The PFs are doing well, it is the dioramas that are at risk, in my opinion.

Everything from the Weta direct store is much more expensive, I don't think they have the factory and shipping deals SS has in place. Also the Argonath is a very limited piece.

I think all you have to do is look at the maquette prices of SS's other licences in the 1/5-1/4 range to get a reasonable idea as to price of these. They seem to range anywhere between $150 to well over $300 depending on the complexity. If SSW was selling 1/6 statues 5 years ago starting at $125 it is reasoanble to expect with increased production and material costs, plus shipping costs that are dramatically higher than they were back then, that costs will definitely be higher.

This is great news for me.

I prefer fully sculpted statues to p.f. and I like this scale better as well, as they will be easier to display in a curio cabinet.

I have been wanting to get back into a LOTR line of collectibles. I think this line will be perfect for me.

:rock

I think all you have to do is look at the maquette prices of SS's other licences in the 1/5-1/4 range to get a reasonable idea as to price of these. They seem to range anywhere between $150 to well over $300 depending on the complexity. If SSW was selling 1/6 statues 5 years ago starting at $125 it is reasoanble to expect with increased production and material costs, plus shipping costs that are dramatically higher than they were back then, that costs will definitely be higher.

I have no doubt they'll be higher, but 1/6th statues costing $200 and above is a bit ridiculous. At most I would imagine an average of $175, and even then, lithe figures like Arwen could well be $150 or under. They may surprise you. A good example is the Cloak and Dagger "Dagger" Comiquette, which was $175 for the non-exclusive version, and it stood 17 inches high. The figure also has a pretty substancial cloak base. Doing the general math, I suspect the new LOTR figures to be in the $150 range.

Back