New Doctor Who 1:6 from Big Chief Studios!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New Doctor Who 1:6 and 1:4 announcement!

Aimee, eh? Interesting spelling. And thank you!

I'm sure they will, over time. Once they gather enough customers/money to be able to make it on a large scale while remaining quality (a huge problem for a lot of companies, lately, that the difference between handmade prototype and factory made product are too different, more often than not in a bad way) to meet the demand.

Oof, finally gave up and went to bed for 30 minutes, got up again for the announcement to find out I didn't need to be awake til Monday! Err, well, obviously I need to be awake SOME...

It would have been great if they'd decided as soon as they knew they were having a problem, but I'm still happy Big Chief called it and rescheduled. Hopefully it'll be smooth on Monday. Lost two hours of good sleep but at least I didn't miss out!

I'm actually excited by the idea of building my own 1:6 TARDIS. Certainly more practical than building a full-size one (or good practice if you wanted a nerdy shed). Suppose you could use one of the action figure scale ones and a LOT of forced perspective... ;)

Unless it's a mad coincidence of usernames, do believe I know you, aimeekitty - and know why you might call them "dolls". ;)

I'm actually excited by the idea of building my own 1:6 TARDIS. Certainly more practical than building a full-size one (or good practice if you wanted a nerdy shed). Suppose you could use one of the action figure scale ones and a LOT of forced perspective... ;)

A shed that is bigger on the inside would be very very handy.

Unless it's a mad coincidence of usernames, do believe I know you, aimeekitty - and know why you might call them "dolls". ;)

No coincidence. :hi5:

A shed that is bigger on the inside would be very very handy.

I asked my HOA before moving in if one could have a "shed" in ones backyard.
She asked, "How big?"
"about as big as a phonebooth."

I'm planning to build a 1:1 scale TARDIS in January, just collecting the materials and stuff now. :yess:

No coincidence. :hi5:

I was on your art forum, in err... 2000-2001? Hahah.

Xenophilius which era/version TARDIS are you doing? I dream of having a 1:1 Dalek but not sure I have the skills. Another thing to test in scale, I guess. Accessorizing!

Xenophilius which era/version TARDIS are you doing? I dream of having a 1:1 Dalek but not sure I have the skills. Another thing to test in scale, I guess. Accessorizing!

11th Doctor with 1st Doctor windows (All white instead of the black "T"). I've seen plenty of 1:1 Daleks and it's not too hard to make. If I were you, I'd give it a try. If you should get stuck you could always ask a more professional person to give you a hand, which is what I'll be doing for my Blue Box.

Are we gonna get a new email with the link or something? It's rather soon and still no further news..

Who knows.

I did manage to get onto the site during a random wandering earlier and stumbled across this:

You won’t want to take your eyes off our next 1:6 Scale Collector Figures
Weeping Angel 1:6 Scale Limited Edition Collector Figure

“Fascinating race, the Weeping Angels. The only psychopaths in the universe to kill you nicely. No mess, no fuss, they just zap you into the past and let you live to death. The rest of your life used up and blown away in the blink of an eye. You die in the past, and in the present they consume the energy of all the days you might have had, all your stolen moments. They’re creatures of the abstract. They live off potential energy.” – The Doctor

With countless monsters and aliens populating the universe, we wanted to choose a worthy adversary for our Eleventh Doctor figure. A Dalek perhaps? Maybe a Cyberman? After numerous discussions and brainstorming sessions, we kept coming back to arguably one of the show’s most scary creations – the Weeping Angels. The figure is currently at the earliest stage of development, but we have exciting plans for these terrifying characters. Check back for further behind-the-scenes updates and product sneak peeks only at www.bigchiefstudios.co.uk.

And this...

Who’s next?…
Tenth Doctor 1:6 Scale Limited Edition Collector Figure

We have received such an overwhelmingly positive response to our Eleventh Doctor figure that we felt we needed to relook at our product roll-out plan. We wanted to ensure that our next figure release would prove equally, if not more sought-after. Each and every actor that has portrayed the Time Lord, has brought something unique and captivating to the role. With that in mind, and with careful consideration, we finally came to a decision.

BIG Chief Studios Ltd. are proud to announce the next character in our 1:6 Scale Collector Figures line – the Tenth Doctor.

Brilliantly portrayed on screen by actor David Tennant, the Tenth regeneration of the Time Lord first appeared on our screens in 2005. Tennant would go on to play the Doctor for three series plus the TV Specials.

Throughout his tenure, Doctor Who would see it’s viewing figures sour to new heights and the show became a firm fixture of the BBC’s prime time Saturday night broadcasting.

Undeniably a firm favourite amongst both fans and long-time followers of the show, with Tennant’s departure from the role in 2009, many wondered how he could ever be replaced.

As the third release in our line of 1:6 Scale Collector Figures, the Tenth Doctor will feature an authentic character portrait, tailored suit and trench coat, together with his trusty Sonic Screwdriver and signature accessories. A themed display base will complete the package.

Keep checking back at bigchiefstudios.co.uk for development updates and behind-the-scenes product sneak peeks.

There's also set to be a competition to win an 11th Doctor figure as well, though it is only open for for Uk and Ireland residents.

Here's what they have to say about the Matt Smith Doctor release on the site:

It’s about time… the first in a line of collector’s edition figures is revealed
Eleventh Doctor 1:6 Scale Limited Edition Collector Figure

Before BIG Chief ever approached BBC Worldwide to discuss a potential license for Doctor Who, we had long been fans of the 1:6 scale format. In fact a couple of members of our creative team collect and customise their own figures, In our separate former capacities we have overseen innumerable, collectables from concept through to shelf. So it was with our collective expertise, love of collectables and all things sci-fi, that Doctor Who seemed the perfect fit.

Throughout the years a number of different companies have produced 12 inch sized Doctor Who figures of varying accuracy and quality. Kids and older fans have been kept satisfied with the incredible range of Doctor Who action figures. For collectors, however, a range of high-quality, ultra-realistic figures and statues of the good Doctor remain long overdue. With other manufacturers offering a steady range of collectables of ever increasing quality, accuracy and realism, we knew that we had to step up to the plate and deliver a first figure that would stand up against the competition.

It was a logical choice for us to select the Eleventh Doctor, the most current regeneration brought to life on screen by Matt Smith, the youngest ever to play the Time Lord. Once the deal had been struck with BBC Worldwide, we started work to develop what would become the first in an extensive line of 1:6 scale collector figures, based on the characters from both the new and classic era series.

Our creative team began pouring over countless reference photographs and watching various episodes studying Matt’s performance. We started with the most important component – the portrait. At our request the production team kindly supplied us with various expression turnaround photographs of Matt in costume. After careful study we selected our desired expression that would be further augmented with elements from other photographs of the actor. Our sculptor added skin texture and perfectly captured every detail in scale. The completed sculpt was then moulded, cast out in resin and cleaned-up ready to be painted. The sculptor and deco artist worked closely to ensure the most faithful and realistic representation of the Eleventh Doctor to date.

Meanwhile our tailoress was busily visiting suppliers in the hope of sourcing a scaled match for the material for the Doctor’s trademark tweed jacket. It soon became apparent that this simply would not be possible, so we set about recreating the weave and design of the tweed that would be printed and perfectly scaled for our figure. The costume was tweaked and adjusted millimetre by millimetre to create the perfect fit that would recreate the full sized costume in exacting detail. From the placement of the tweed pattern, down to the stitching on the back pockets of the trousers.

Whilst the costume was being developed, work began on the accessories that would accompany the figure. Obviously the Doctor’s Sonic Screwdriver was a must, other accessories proved a little harder to pin down. We returned again to the episodes and carefully selected the additional items that played an important part in the various storylines. Finally for the display base, rather than include a simple black stand, we wanted to recreate a small portion of the raised floor of the TARDIS console, on to which collectors could pose their figure.

After months of hard work, we are proud to reveal the Eleventh Doctor 1:6 Scale Collector Figure. Click here for the full product specification and to pre-order yours today.

Order mine today? Yeah, I wish. Oh, and they could do with a decent copy editor as well... :lol

off topic
is it true the Titan busts are out in Australia?

off topic
is it true the Titan busts are out in Australia?

If they are, I haven't spotted them yet. And I have been keeping an eye out for Titan busts as I want to pick up their Peter Cushing Van Helsing and Christopher Lee Dracula Hammer busts when they hit.

EDIT - Actually I have just been reliably told that the 11th Doctor, Amy and Captain Jack pieces have indeed started to show up (not sure about any others, or even how many were due out in the first wave). Apparently the likeness on the Matt Smith one isn't too bad, but the Amy is a bit off, and the Captain Jack very much so. Like I say, haven't seen them for myself though, so take that for what it's worth... :)

Last edited:

11th Doctor with 1st Doctor windows (All white instead of the black "T"). I've seen plenty of 1:1 Daleks and it's not too hard to make. If I were you, I'd give it a try. If you should get stuck you could always ask a more professional person to give you a hand, which is what I'll be doing for my Blue Box.

I approve of your window choice. And in spite of fuss over 11's wood grain, it's a good amalgam of the best of previous designs. Daleks not too hard? lol. Well, I suppose it WAS originally built on a miniscule BBC budget back in the day.

Was hoping we'd get another email. May still I suppose. The tickets for the BBC Doctor Who convention are also going on sale, though I only half considered going to Cardiff. ;)

So, 7 (8 my time) tonight, eh. I'm quite.. not really as hyped as before but still reasonable.

I've helped build a Dalek once, but only the main bodypart I did. Base body made of planks of wood, painted plastic (preferably alloy, but those are harder to find) orbs cut in half (easier if they're solid, though they add weight, they're easier to attach) and the bottom made of a sheet of metal bent around it and attached in the back.

I just looked at the currency conversion... oh dear... think I'll be buying from a US retailer or not at all.

This is about €200 without shipping. And I'm getting 1 signature (if I don't miss out) and 2 regular.. A serious beating to my wallet but it'll survive.. I hope..

My only fear is that it's a lot of money for an unproven company whose quality we haven't seen before. not all production figures look as good as the prototypes. I think back to how nice the proto stuff for "Go Hero" looked, and how lackluster the final product turned out to be. $200 plus is just not a place I'm easily prepared to go to as a regular figure price. It's getting a little out of hand. Kills me too, because I am a huge Who fan.

I'm confident enough in Big Chief to know we'll get quality.

I'm willing to bite the bullet and gime them a fair chance, and if it turns out the quality sucks, then so be it, then I'll try to find an alternate route to complete my collection of 1/6th Doctor Who.

I like being the mouse in the testlab.

I'll probably order in the US, knowing that guys in the UK should get them first, and will most likely share pictures in time for me to cancel if I'm not satisfied. Still just not happy with so many companies pushing the price to $200+ for figures. Thank God for 3A, and their under $100 figures, best value for the money. This over $200 stuff is slowing my purchasing up big time.

Customers who signed up for the 1:6 Scale Eleventh Doctor Collector Figure Priority Pre-order Notification, should by now have received their notification email with the new link to pre-order. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE LINK IN THE ORIGINAL EMAIL THAT YOU RECEIVED WILL NOT WORK, SO DISCARD IT AND CLICK ON THE LINK PROVIDED IN THE NEW EMAIL. Advance Priority Pre-order begins tonight at 7 pm for 24 hours. General Pre-order will be available 24 hours later on Tuesday 15th November at 7 pm (GMT). NOTE: the website will display the Pre-order time as 19.00 15.11.11 until 7 pm this evening, when you click on the link provided in the email the date will change to reflect today’s date.
Thank you
The BIG Chief Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back