New BUFFY movie in development (but not TV related)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishJedi

Super Freak
Reaction score
Reboots have hit Whedonville (again)...

'Buffy' in for feature relaunch

Players meeting with writers for new take on the franchise

By Borys Kit

May 25, 2009, 11:00 PM ET

A new incarnation of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" could be coming to the big screen.

"Buffy" creator Joss Whedon isn't involved and it's not set up at a studio, but Roy Lee and Doug Davison of Vertigo Entertainment are working with original movie director Fran Rubel Kuzui and her husband, Kaz Kuzui, on what is being labeled a remake or relaunch, but not a sequel or prequel.

While Whedon is the person most associated with "Buffy," Kuzui and her Kuzui Enterprises have held onto the rights since the beginning, when she discovered the "Buffy" script from then-unknown Whedon. She developed the script while her husband put together the financing to make the 1992 movie, which was released by Fox.

Kuzui later teamed with Gail Berman, then president of Sandollar Television, bringing back Whedon to make the TV series, which was produced by Fox TV and launched on the WB in 1997. Kuzui and Sandollar received executive producer credits on "Buffy" and its spinoff, "Angel."

The new "Buffy" film, however, would have no connection to the TV series, nor would it use popular supporting characters like Angel, Willow, Xander or Spike. Vertigo and Kuzui are looking to restart the story line without trampling on the beloved existing universe created by Whedon, putting the parties in a similar situation faced by Paramount, J.J. Abrams and his crew when relaunching "Star Trek."

One of the underlying ideas of "Buffy" allows Vertigo and Kuzui to do just that: that each generation has its own vampire slayer to protect it. The goal would be to make a darker, event-sized movie that would, of course, have franchise potential.

The parties are meeting with writers and hearing takes, and later will look for a home for the project. The producers do not rule out Whedon's involvement but have not yet reached out to him.Speaking from Tokyo, Fran Kuzui said the company is constantly approached not only about sequels but theater, video games and foreign remakes for "Buffy." When Vertigo's Lee contacted them, they were intrigued.

"It was Roy's interest in taking Buffy into a new place that grabbed us," she said, noting that original exec producer Sandy Gallin also was consulted. "It was based on our respect for what he does, and his particular sensitivity to Asian filmmakers, that we wanted to work with him."

Kuzui, who is prepping do direct a movie in Japan in the fall, added: "Everything has its moment. Every movie takes on a life at some point, and this seems like the moment to do this."

From The Hollywood Reporter: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i666afabc28491e6a5d5861d83ae30855

I think Batty just posted this in the Movies section, but hey, the more Buffy the better!!!!

:rock :rock :rock

Really? Oh... must have been in the Movie/TV section. Didn't even think to check there. :eek:

I'd think you guys would want to discuss it in your "own" section too, anyway.

Really? Oh... must have been in the Movie/TV section. Didn't even think to check there. :eek:

I'd think you guys would want to discuss it in your "own" section too, anyway.

No, it cool. Definitely post it here as well!!! I know I would have or at least, someone else would have!!

Thanks man for keeping us updated in Whedonville! :rock :rock

No Whedon, No connection to the TV series, no Angle, Willow, Xander or Spike :monkey4 Why bother!

Sick of these movies that try to cash in on a popular franchise yet have no connection. How about get some originality and get your own ideas.

No Whedon, No connection to the TV series, no Angle, Willow, Xander or Spike :monkey4 Why bother!

Sick of these movies that try to cash in on a popular franchise yet have no connection. How about get some originality and get your own ideas.

I agree, im getting real tired of all these 'REMAKES' because no one in hollywood can come up with any good ideas and just try to make money off something that is already popular, problem is...... if the movie (and im pretty sure it most likely will) is not good at all, it will only bring the franchise down even more, buffy lines in pretty much every collectable company i know of are pretty much already dead...........
I love buffy, but unless its a movie with the TV series characters, i doubt it very much it will impress..... :(

I'm intrigued. I feel pretty indifferent as of now, but I'll wait to see what happens after we get more solid info before I make the yay or nay vote.

So lets get this straight: You have a Whedon Idea but without Whedon, the best idea and execution guy around.

Suckage.

Since the original movie was so hideous, Pee Wee Herman's acting notwithstanding (guilty pleasure for me, that) :D I am not optimistic that the original director and producer can pull this off. They didn't pull it off the first time, and they aren't going to have Joss involved, so what do they think they can do with it this time?

And while I am not completely crazy about the new Trek movie, I doubt seriously Kuzui Enterprises is at J. J. Abram's level in pulling off a Trek remake with the succces he's had with it (and no, I'm not necessarily a J.J. Abrams lover, but hey, "Lost" is brilliant and the man's definitely got talent!) :peace

i never saw the original movie so i don't plan on ever checking this one out. i only need Buffy: seasons 1-7 for my fix. SMG is my Buffy.

I'm a big Buffy fan and I think Joss would agree with me about the movie: You're not missing much. :eek: :)

Im dissapionted. I thought whenI came in here that it would be something "Joss" but now I see that he doesnt have anything to do with it, then its just a big pile of poo. :(

Making a Buffy Movie based on anything but the TV show would do nothing but hurt the franchise. If I were Fox/Whedon, I'd try to stop this.

Unless of course, there are no future plans for the franchise... :monkey2

Back