New 1/6 line of LOTR figures by Asmus Toys!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really do think the biggest part of that is because they started out with statues and no figures. So when these people start up their Middle Earth collections, it was with statues and busts, not figures. So by the time Sideshow got to the figures, too many of their collectors were heavily invested in poly and didn't want to make the switch or add another type of collectible to the collection. So at this point, yeah, they really do prefer statues, but that might not have been the case had there been more options when Sideshow originally started with LotR.

That very easily could be the case. However, just reading posts from people who collect stuff from the world of Middle-earth there does seem to be more of an appreciation for statues (in what they capture of the character) than say an action figure.

I really do think the biggest part of that is because they started out with statues and no figures. So when these people start up their Middle Earth collections, it was with statues and busts, not figures. So by the time Sideshow got to the figures, too many of their collectors were heavily invested in poly and didn't want to make the switch or add another type of collectible to the collection. So at this point, yeah, they really do prefer statues, but that might not have been the case had there been more options when Sideshow originally started with LotR.

:goodpost:

It's 1/6 only for my LOTR... but that's because I was never heavily invested in the statues.

That very easily could be the case. However, just reading posts from people who collect stuff from the world of Middle-earth there does seem to be more of an appreciation for statues (in what they capture of the character) than say an action figure.

that could also be because of the proliferation of statues VS action figures.

Same here. Big fan of the films, but until the 12" figures came along, there wasn't anything for me.

Not to mention when the statue line was going you probably weren't old enough to be buying $100 plus statues. :nana:

It's interesting to read comments like this. I have all the SS 1:6th figures and I do really like them a lot, but I do feel fully sculpted is where it's at with Middle-earth. Premium Formats would actually come second with blending of both cloth and sculpted.

Im all IN for soem decent LOTR 12-inch figures...LOVED the Gandalf, Frodo, and Sam from Sideshow...the rest were a little off...but those three were pretty good.

I would LOVE a good Legolas, Gimli, and Aragorn...anxiously awaiting some in-hand pics of this rumored line.

Yeah, for me, I loved my 12 inchers, and even have a custom gimli and merry and pip (they are only missing paint on their heads).. So the more the merrier.. would love to see a saruman, some orcs, lurtz, etc, and some new hero sculpts/outfits. I sunk 60 into that one guys saruman project, and he just stopped responding to everyone and ditched it.. so that was fun. :/

I also rarely collect statues. Price wise they are high for me compared to the quality you get with a lot of sideshow paint aps (they suck for the most part.. sorry guys).. the size of them can be insane if you plan on having more than one or two.. and the horrible poses you get sometimes too just drive me nuts. They can't be reposed for the most part, which for me is a bad thing because I like to tinker with stuff. But that's just what you get with statues.

All that said, i do collect a lot of weta statues, and my focus is on props for the most part. But I do have sideshows gandalf the grey pf (amazing), some of the smaller statue things like frodo and sam on the slope, etc. And some of the gentle giant busts that were smaller (saruman, sauron, orc)..

Even if I had the room, I just wouldn't get a lot of the sideshow statues. I just dislike them a lot, from the poses to the paint apps. But that's just my preference. I think some of us are more into figures, and some more into statues. I get the appeal, it just isn't always my thing. It's nice to see the paint finally improving over the years on the statues though. I stopped buying sideshow figures because they were just crap for the price, and now usually just get hot toys with the exception of stuff like boba fett, and other iconic figures. I think in the future, more statues will be heading my way than figures. I'm kinda getting "figured-out".. :) And hot toys are starting to become as expensive as statues..

I guess i'm a confused collector. lol. I like a little bit of everything. It has to speak to me. :)

Not to mention when the statue line was going you probably weren't old enough to be buying $100 plus statues. :nana:

It's interesting to read comments like this. I have all the SS 1:6th figures and I do really like them a lot, but I do feel fully sculpted is where it's at with Middle-earth. Premium Formats would actually come second with blending of both cloth and sculpted.

Yup. Sideshows 12" is what introduced me to Sideshow, this forum and the higher end of collecting (well more like the medium end). I was just entering college then so those figures were at the top of my price limit. Funny how expensive they seemed then and now those prices are so cheap compared to todays.

Toy Biz line is what brought me into collecting in general too. I remember when the Neca Barlog was the most expensive thing I had ever bought as a hobby purchase. It seemed so hard to justify at the time.

I love the few statues and I agree that they seem to do more justice to Middle Earth but the price point still keeps me from owning more than a few. If Sideshow only released 2 a year I'd be all in but with how many they release I had to stop after getting Strider, Legolas and Gandalf.

For me the best solution would be a near Hot Toys quality 1/6 figure and to have 3 or 4 released a year so I could get them all. Keep them around $150 and that's $450 to $600 a year.

They should have some kind of in production shots to create interest in the line... they must have something...drawings, sculpts, clothing...anything...really????

Yup. Sideshows 12" is what introduced me to Sideshow, this forum and the higher end of collecting (well more like the medium end). I was just entering college then so those figures were at the top of my price limit. Funny how expensive they seemed then and now those prices are so cheap compared to todays.

Yeah, it was Sideshow/Weta that got me into collecting. After, I got into The Lord of the Rings I found Sideshow's site just by googling Lord of the Rings statues. :lol It was all systems go from there. Yeah, I remember when the Sauron statue shipped back in the day at $300 and everyone thought that was crazy. So looking back at the prices then and now is funny.

I love the few statues and I agree that they seem to do more justice to Middle Earth but the price point still keeps me from owning more than a few. If Sideshow only released 2 a year I'd be all in but with how many they release I had to stop after getting Strider, Legolas and Gandalf.

I'm with ya. I love my The Lord of the Rings statues from Sideshow. I think they're fantastic. Sideshow has really nailed every release (Arwen's eyes not withstanding) and I think they're worth the money.

Don't you think it's a little weird with new hobbit movies this thread only has 14 pages? I think it's because no one really knows about asmus toys. I'd hope that if hot toys got the lisence it would be big news. Why did they pass on it any way over some crap like Lone Ranger. I was surprised to see asmus get an official licenced line. Not sure if their mask was it not.

I ain't bothered WHO does the line,Asmus,Hot Toys,Sideshow or whoever! As long as they're good quality and we get some good variety...which it says on their website we will :pray:

I have the entire 1/6 collection from Sideshow and I dearly love them all (with the exception of Legolas...yikes!!) and I'm also gonna see if I can find the Aragorn from Art Figures.That figure seems to get a lot of negative comments and I have no idea why...I've seen some video reviews and I think it looks awesome!! Would be proud to have it in my collection:)

Checked out their site...a little concerned about quality. The sculpting on their stuff is okay...and their quality in costuming on some figures is a little questionable (The Mask)...but if they knowck these out of the park, perhaps it will put Asmus Toys on the collectible MAP as they say...wish we had some concept art or something...

Don't you think it's a little weird with new hobbit movies this thread only has 14 pages? I think it's because no one really knows about asmus toys. I'd hope that if hot toys got the lisence it would be big news. Why did they pass on it any way over some crap like Lone Ranger. I was surprised to see asmus get an official licenced line. Not sure if their mask was it not.

A fair share of it I would say is the company being unknown.

Could be no one wanted the license. :dunno

Am I alone here or do other LOTR/Hobbit fans feel snubbed by the collectible companies? I mean,don't get me wrong,I love films like Predator and Aliens(I grew up watching them ALL the time),but in my opinion films like that do not even compare to the LOTR trilogy.Yes,they are classic films,but did ANY of them receive 11 oscars? NO.

Anyway,I'm getting off the point as this is just my opinion(it depresses me though that it isn't everyones' opinion,because even as a lover of ALL genres of film I honestly don't think there is an argument against LOTR being the greatest series of movies EVER).

I just sometimes feel a little snubbed and it really irks me that there is obviously such a high demand for Aliens/Predator/Batman/Star Wars collectibles.I frequently send request messages to Sideshow to pick up their 1/6 line but to no avail.Now I fear that because they've got The Hobbit license they'll NEVER pick it up again:monkey2

Maybe it's because they haven't shown anything? :dunno
I'm sure once the first pics, if the figures look good, people will start commenting more... right now, it's just empty promises... :monkey2
:lol

Sideshow is doing stuff from The Lord of the Rings and shortly The Hobbit. You also have Weta who is turning out a lot of product for both of those, and of course you have Gentle Giant along with The Bridge Direct. Middle-earth is well represented but more good product is always welcomed.

I think there's obviously a division in Tolkien collectibles right now. I mean right now you mostly have:

The Bridge Direct action figures - $10-30
Gentle Giant Busts - $70+
Weta Prop replicas - $30-400
Weta Hobbit statues - $200 or 250
Weta LOTR statues - $70 or 200
Sideshow LOTR statues - $250-325
Sideshow LOTR PFs - $300+

There's also Noble Collection stuff, which generally isn't all that good. With all this said, we really don't have a great line/item in the $100-150 range, except for some Weta Prop replicas. And we have similiar items with overlapping price points, like Weta Hobbit statues and Sideshow LOTR statues. I was hoping the Weta small sized statues line would continue, but we haven't heard anything after Aragorn when previously Weta was always one step ahead. Really, it feels like you either have small random items or expensive ongoing lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back