Neil Marshall's R-Rated HELLBOY reboot starring David Harbour

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely not what I wanted out of the movie but it was cool seeing so much from the comics. It definitely feels like the producers suicide squaded it.

The HT figure looks great and I think the design is generic enough to work on a shelf without much connection to the movie. In the way the perlman figure is so very much of that movie. IDK if that makes sense

I’m not sure I need another hellboy movie but I hope it warrants a tv show at some point. Bprd would be really nice.

I do hope this movie does well in China so it’s not a complete waste. Seems like the opening date isn’t decided yet.

My reasoning is I think It’s important to realize that this is a creator owned property and ultimately it works to advertise his books. I think that is definitely worth the price of admission.

I love the Hellboy comics...but Guillermo Del Toro made two great Hellboy movies. I think the only thing that really justifies the price of admission is a good movie...Mignola can stick to making good comics to sell comics.

Understandable, but im not sure I really like the del toro ones much more tbh.

I meant more that it’s still cool to support an Ip that isn’t owned by disney or a gigantic cable company. Sort of a rare thing in this day and age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I meant more that it’s still cool to support an Ip that isn’t owned by disney or a gigantic cable company. Sort of a rare thing in this day and age.

I agree with you on this. Though i hope if we ever get anything to do with Hellboy in the future that they do it right and that Hellboy is played closer to the books. David Harbour has alot of potential to play a very good Hellboy so long as the script is good and not turned to trash.

I think that this is where I would also differ. I think the Del Toro films were excellent, 2 in particular is brilliant. I love comic books, I love promoting non-Disney owned creativity, but I also am a huge fan of cinema and feel strongly that anything that encourages studios to support the creative vision of talented filmmakers, even if it means them paying a little more, is good for cinema as an art form. It's painful that great filmmakers like Martin Scorsese literally have to beg to have their films funded while the Michael Bays of the world have hundreds of millions thrown at them with no questions asked to create really terrible films. Guillermo Del Toro is with out question one of the great filmmakers of our time. He had a vision for a movie. The studio did not share the vision and decided to send him packing and bring in a less talented filmmaker to make the film on the cheap for them. The film was a huge critical and commercial failure. If the studio could have a "do over" they probably would have gone with the talented filmmaker and supported his vision versus their own bottom line. The failure of this movie may not be a win for supporting less mainstream comic book movies, but it is a big win for anyone that supports the idea of movie studios supporting talented filmmakers and their visions.

Just finished watching this..

I didn't hate it.. In fact I was pretty much fully entertained.

Now mind you I have never read a single Hellboy comic and I am not a huge fan of the original 2. They are like all other Del Toro's work to me... I am not a huge fan. In fact I think Crimson Peak might be my fav of all his films and that tends to be one of his least popular I think.

Anyways.. This film was a mess.. And it dragged a bit in the 2nd act but I thought it was dumb fun. No better or worse then the other two films IMO.

IDK.. I think because it was stupid and had a rock soundtrack I was able to have more fun with the subject matter.

Ron Perlman is still the better Hellboy but I didn't hate this version of the character as much as I thought I would.

"Father's" Spiritual appearance at the end was grown worthy and goofy looking to the max. That part alone almost ruined the film for me :lol

I liked the apocalyptic monsters at the end.

I am sure I will not think as highly of this film with a 2nd viewing.. My expectations could not have been much lower :lol

I watched maybe the first 15 minutes of this on the plane last week and was surprised that it was kind of sucking me in, lol. It seemed like it would be dumb but fun.

I might have to go ahead and rent it to catch the rest now.

I watched maybe the first 15 minutes of this on the plane last week and was surprised that it was kind of sucking me in, lol. It seemed like it would be dumb but fun.

I was basically the opposite. I watched the first 15 minutes and turned it off. I only have the Del Toro movies for reference and not the comics, so idk if the dumb beginning makes more sense to the comic readers, but I couldn't make much sense out of it.

I thought it was excellent to be honest, a welcome return to 80's classics like Evil Dead 2 and Army Of Darkness. Can't wait to get it on UHD.

It’s dumb fun for sure... I really enjoyed the first 45 min... it started to lose me in the next 30 or so min but pulled me back in for the final 20.

I got to be honest... This is my fav Hellboy movie. But like I said the original two are not favs of mine so the bar was low.

It’s dumb fun for sure... I really enjoyed the first 45 min... it started to lose me in the next 30 or so min but pulled me back in for the final 20.

I got to be honest... This is my fav Hellboy movie. But like I said the original two are not favs of mine so the bar was low.

Yeah I thought the first two HB flicks were just okay and nothing worth getting excited about. Never read a single HB comic so how it compares to the source material is a non-issue for me.

I watched this the other day. I don't watch trailers or listen to reviews before going in so watching fresh. Yes it had some cheap effect but I found it entertaining for what it was. Loved the pig. The Baba Yaga scene was pretty amazing almost at par or "sequelish" to the Pale Man in Pan?s Labyrinth. Giant scene was fun even though it looked like cheap green screen effects. I could do with the unnecessary swearing though. I think this movie achieved its goals as I was entertained knowing the kind of movie i was watching.

After watching I found it funny how almost all youtube reviewers said it ?sucked? but they enjoyed it overall. WTF does that mean? Might pick up on blu ray!!

You can watch a great movie once or a **** movie hundreds of times (guilty pleasure) so which is the better movie?

I gotta stop listening to the Internet. Watched this today. Very fun, light entertainment. Not like I was expecting fine cinema! And yes, it hearkens back to the '80s and early '90s with some Army of Darkness vibes. May actually snag the HT, it was that much fun.

Yeah, I didn't get the enormous hate either. It wasn't a great movie, and Del Toro's stuff obviously had more charm and soul, but this wasn't that bad. The problem was that they crammed up far too many things into one movie and didn't have the budget to do them properly. They should've done a smaller scale atmospheric action horror flick first, won over fans with the "indie comic book movie hit", then built from there. As it stands it's not a good Hellboy adaptation, but it's not like the Del Toro ones captured the melancholic tone either. It's a perfectly fine 5/10 Capeflick that makes for a fun hour or so. Still, I liked Harbour as Hellboy, not gonna lie. Although I hated the racebend, as I always do. What do you have against Gingers Hollywood?!

giphy.gif

As for the HT, now that I got back into the hobby, I may snag it if it's in-stock by next summer (now I need to save for a Darth Vader; I missed a lot of stuff).

Yeah, I didn't get the enormous hate either. It wasn't a great movie, and Del Toro's stuff obviously had more charm and soul, but this wasn't that bad. The problem was that they crammed up far too many things into one movie and didn't have the budget to do them properly. They should've done a smaller scale atmospheric action horror flick first, won over fans with the "indie comic book movie hit", then built from there. As it stands it's not a good Hellboy adaptation, but it's not like the Del Toro ones captured the melancholic tone either. It's a perfectly fine 5/10 Capeflick that makes for a fun hour or so. Still, I liked Harbour as Hellboy, not gonna lie. Although I hated the racebend, as I always do. What do you have against Gingers Hollywood?!

giphy.gif

As for the HT, now that I got back into the hobby, I may snag it if it's in-stock by next summer (now I need to save for a Darth Vader; I missed a lot of stuff).

I can't even remember the Del Toro flick (only saw the first one when it came out) so I may re-visit. There was a lot in this film, and if I hadn't read a lot of Hellboy comics the references may have been more jarring. The level of violence seemed appropriate for the material, though.

Agreed on the 'smaller film' approach. I really thought I was gonna balk at Harbour but I bought it, even though he was a touch hammy at points. The racebend thing in this case was more or less irrelevant to me one way or the other.

I can't even remember the Del Toro flick (only saw the first one when it came out) so I may re-visit. There was a lot in this film, and if I hadn't read a lot of Hellboy comics the references may have been more jarring. The level of violence seemed appropriate for the material, though.
Yeah, and that was their problem. They wanted to mash in everything and give it a big scale or something. Doing the Arthur stuff in the first reboot was beyond nonsensical. Concerning the Del Toro flicks, they were not really Hellboy films, but Del Toro films with a Hellboy coat. They weren't bad, and as always they had his charm and great creature design, but it's not like they were faithful to the source and the atmosphere.

Agreed on the 'smaller film' approach. I really thought I was gonna balk at Harbour but I bought it, even though he was a touch hammy at points. The racebend thing in this case was more or less irrelevant to me one way or the other.
They had a sure way to win people over, but they wanted them Deadpool money. And now they've got nothing, so... I felt that Harbour fit the role more because I always saw Hellboy himself as a bit hammy. People sometimes take things at face value and think he's some extremelly dark guy. He's brooding and melancholic, but he's got a touch of ham, like the whole series. Same with say, Doctor Doom. He's not a quip machine, but you need to give him that Cobra Commander ham once in a while because that's his character at the core; he's a petulant manchild. As for the racebend, I dislike them on principle. It's not Witcher, or "ayo we gay blakk bvlls now" (yes that's in the show) Achilles from that BBC abomination, but still.

Back