NECA's 18" ALIEN

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Come to think of it, if someone made an amalgamation of the Kenner and the Medicom, then slapped in some HT-esque detail, we'd have a pretty good representation. I dunno, but the Kenner Alien does seem to have the right head shape. Maybe just a little too tall, but the overall dome shape seems right.

Personally, I'd go the NECA route any day of the week. The quality of the sculpts are always superb especially when it comes to anything Alien, Predator or Terminator. In my opinion, the NECA sculpts can stand toe to toe with HT without breaking a sweat. It helps having uber-fans like us making the damn things. Besides, it doesn't break the bank or jack up the credit card bill like HT purchases would.

I guess it all depends on how much dough you're willing to shell out.

Last edited:
Goodness! I've been so busy, I haven't looked in on Alien stuff in ages...and I find the same ole :panic:

Anyway, I have both of the recently "discussed" figures. They both rock to me and for the satisfaction of scale and needs, I am happy with them. I have expressed this, to the regret of some, and the amusement of others, and too consider myself a HUGE Alien fan.
I don't have the most stuff, nor the least, and I don't profess to be an expert, even though I have been a fan since seeing Alien in 79 at the ripe old age of 18. I am probably in the middle, collectorwise, and have just enough for me. So, I can see all sides, and do enjoy all the passion. I guess it entertains me to a point.

Hope the "bashing" isn't really bashing, just passion, and hope the love for this never ends either. I can so feel the frustrations of Alien lovers at not getting some perceived, totally accurate Alien rendition. It is a shame. But at the same time, like a rhorshach test, we all see it a bit differently, once the sculpting tools come out, so unless the original Giger sculpt gets scanned and computer sculpted somehow, I fear impressions and personal preferences will come out in sculpts. It's just human nature.

Hope you guys work it all out though, as I like all of you in many ways, and agree with most in many, so I can't pick sides. I just hope it's all kept to a reasonable debate. Keep the personal feelings out if you can, as none here are actually Hans Rudi (that we know of???) so we can all say what we want and to be honest, it doesn't mean much beyond that. It's all just oipinions, yes?

Have fun, and enjoy your Alien stuff, as we are all lucky to have any of it! That's my motto! :)

Have fun. Get Alien stuff you like, and maybe, one day, THE GRAIL will be created that makes all this back and forth moot. :hi5:

GREAT post, Les! Thanks for taking the time.

Tankman, not sure if you're still reading this thread, but I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Revoltech Alien. To me it's clearly the most accurate sculpt I've seen, but of course it is in a completely different scale to your own sculpt, and indeed any others.

N I like you want P1 and P2 as large kick butt figures. We'll see what happens I'm hoping for P2 next. This is the year of the Predator

Nothing really was said, but i am very happy with everything that was said...if that makes any sense at all.

I am one member on the SideshowFreaks that proudly supports:
neca_logo.gif

Tankman, not sure if you're still reading this thread, but I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Revoltech Alien. To me it's clearly the most accurate sculpt I've seen, but of course it is in a completely different scale to your own sculpt, and indeed any others.

I really love the revoltech Alien and I have two of them. It's really accurate but a little toyish for me. I wish it were bigger also. I think the tail is short but all in all it's great. The detail is way smooth and and toy like and I wish it were more real looking. I also wish I were sculpting the Alien now because there have been such great pics of the Alien I never saw until the last few months. All in all I'm happy with mine but I know it could be better but that's how it goes with all the figure I do. Any and all figures could be better but there is a thing called time.
For want it is though the Revoltech is a sweet Alien figure and I respect the artist that sculpted it a lot. He or she really tried to do an accurate Alien and did a great job of it.

I didn't want to edit your post, so I highlighted the part that I wanted to discuss.

You say both the NECA and HT figures are stylized, and at the same level of accuracy, and I really don't see how you can make that statement.

You just need to take a look at pictures of the original suit posted by Sabres and compare them to both figures.
HT's figure has extra ribbing and detailing on the lower legs and arms, the shape of the jaw is wrong, it has too many teeth, the size and shape of the dorsal tubes is wrong, the shape of the feet is wrong, the tail is wrong; and that's just a quick overview of the figure.
If you look at the NECA figure the only inaccuracies are around the jutting lower jaw, the shape of the dome in front and the way the neck connects to the head.

If I'm wrong in that assessment, please point it out to me with facts based on the pictures provided.

Yes, neither is entirely accurate, but certainly looking at the photos of the suit compared to the figures it is pretty obvious that the NECA figure is much more accurate. Just like the Medicom figure.

Nobody is debating your liking the HT better, but we are disagreeing on the fact (based on photos) that the HT is at the same level of accuracy then the NECA figure, that is all.

I think must of us here really like the HT figure, including Tankman, but to claim it is as accurate as the NECA figure just strikes me (and I think most of us here) as "ludicrous" to quote your own words.

P.S. Re-reading your post, I have to allude to another point you make: maybe I'm mistaken, but I don't think Tankman ever said he could do the job Tsang couldn't, he said Tsang didn't do the job he (Tankman) did, i.e. make the sculpt as accurate as possible.

Not picking a fight here, just trying to point out what I believe are errors in your argumentation in light of the photos provided.

I agree on everything. The Alien HT is very inaccurate. The Alien NECA has some inaccuracies (the neck is a technical issue), but the HT has been invented in many parts!:slap

Anyone know what's the difference gonna be for the re-release of the 18" NECA Alien coming in August? Also is it going to be clear domed or slightly tinted?

Anyone know what's the difference gonna be for the re-release of the 18" NECA Alien coming in August? Also is it going to be clear domed or slightly tinted?

What's this? What's this? Re-release you say, why have I not heard of this sooner? Hopefully they'll have ironed out the QC issues and given it a decent paint job. Is so I'm in (for the fourth time! :slap)!

I don't think it's a re-release of the 18" version. I think it'll be the Alien vs. Predator box set that will include a revisited 7" Giger Alien.

I asked Kyle if they would take the opportunity to revisit the alien's sculpt, but haven't heard from him yet.

I know he would like to go back to the alien and fix little details that bother him, and this would be a golden opportunity!

As a matter of fact, here's my proposal to NECA:

Release the Alien and Predator two-pack as a Special Collector's Edition, with deluxe paint apps, revised sculpt on the alien, real netting and leather bands for the predator, in a collector's friendly commemorative packaging and in fully accurate 1/6 scale.
Charge 100 bucks for it and be the undisputed kings of all things Alien and Predator!

You know you want to do it, and you know we would buy it...
:D

As a matter of fact, here's my proposal to NECA:

Release the Alien and Predator two-pack as a Special Collector's Edition, with deluxe paint apps, revised sculpt on the alien, real netting and leather bands for the predator, in a collector's friendly commemorative packaging and in fully accurate 1/6 scale.
Charge 100 bucks for it and be the undisputed kings of all things Alien and Predator!

You know you want to do it, and you know we would buy it...
:D

Would be great!!! Maybe with a little facehuggher, chestburster and skull and spine for predator! :panic:

They're not re-releasing the 18" Alien.

They're releasing a box set of the 7" Alien/Predator figures.

NECA has stated on Twitter that they'll be revising the Alien's jaw sculpt and underdome paint work. As well as making the dome more 'cloudy'.

That's great news!
Hopefully they'll be able to revise the dome itself as well, it is a bit bulbous at the front when viewed from the side.

Back