NECA Back to the Future

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the sculpts are pretty mediocre, IMO. But everything besides the figure's heads is pretty good, and hopefully someone comes out with better sculpts.

Didn't Trevor Grove do these sculpts? Could be wrong but if it was him they've already gotten a top-man on the case - could just be an issue of the scale and the paint.

I haven't really commented on the likenesses - mainly I'm just so impressed that NECA have taken up this license.

Trevor Grove does amazing work. He posts his unpainted sculptures on I think deviantart. Adding the paint can sometimes take away from the sculpture, especially at this scale.

I would think Michael J Fox would be hard to capture as its a very youthful baby face appearance with no features that stand out. Its probably easier to sculpt someone older that has wrinkles.

I just checked his deviantart page and he has the Marty sculpts posted. He actually admits in the comments how difficult it was and doesnt think he got it quite right.

Here's the picture from Trevor Grove's DeviantArt.

neca_marty_mcfly_by_trevorgrove_ddqzjpi-fullview.jpg

I think the paint definitely kills that "Darth Vader" sculpt. They all look great there.

ddx1dxw-46365560-c097-4d9c-921b-7f25a94b7019.jpg

I don't have a lot of NECA human figures, but it seems like they really slab the paint on instead of a light coat, I think that's affecting the Marty sculpt the most.

The last humans I got from NECA were Laurie from Halloween 2018 and Carl from Terminator Dark Fate. Very happy with how both turned out, for what they are. Have to keep in mind these are $25 7" scale figures and aren't going to live up to 1/6 quality.

Problem is we only have the one white background image of Marty, shadows don't show off the portrait well and the skin looks odd too.

NECA-BTTF-Ultimate-Marty-McFly.jpg

Looked way better at Toy Fair.

I'm confident what we get in hand will look great.

Toy-Fair-2020-NECA-002.jpg

Just to show how the NECA image isn't flattering, look at this JAWS comparison.

033431.jpg

Same figure, shot with better lighting from the same view.

033435.jpg

Looks better, and looks even better at Toy Fair.

Toy-Fair-2020-NECA-Horror-Sci-Fi-053.jpg

Last edited:
Loving pretty much everything about these figures, just not too sure on those expressions on the head sculpts. Probably will still buy them.

So happy to see realistic BTTF action figures are on the way. Hopefully the line has legs to continue into figures like Mr. Strickland, George, Lorraine, Jennifer, Griff and Einstein. Really makes me wish NECA would be allowed make figures based on Blade Runner (a notoriously tangled up licence).

You'll never see figures like Strickland, it would never sell enough to be worth NECA's time. We'll be lucky to get what we've seen and a couple docs to go with them.

Then NECA would be a bunch of slackers! :p

We could see Strickland if he's sold in a two-pack with a better selling character (like an undercover Marty from BTTF II). Same for Lorraine (with Johnny B. Goode Marty) and George (take your pick). They're now doing that on the Alien line. I wish they had done similarly with the Blade Runner 2049 line.

I'd even buy 1985 T-shirt Marty with George's gravestone and Strickland with shotgun.
index.jpg

I don't have a lot of NECA human figures, but it seems like they really slab the paint on instead of a light coat, I think that's affecting the Marty sculpt the most.
They’re hit and miss. Like for instance their Shredder is pretty good (you can take off the mouth guard and see a good amount of the face). I don’t have many other characters by them that are normal human sculpts. I also do have their Roy Jason Voorhees from Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning and that is pretty good. Thing is though both of those are hidden and not full sculpts. What you can see looks good though. The hillbilly Jason Voorhees from Friday the 13th Part 2 has a full sculpt without the potato sack and the paint on it is kinda gloppy.

Why have I still only seen the Tales from Space Marty up for preorder on UK sites? Is it going to be some sort of exclusive in the US?

Non-US retailers either get the info in advance or don’t adhere to guidelines for posting. A Mexican site recently revealed 2 upcoming NECA Godzilla figures before NECA themselves even did, and still haven’t. I don’t think it’s an exclusive, just not fully revealed yet,

You'll never see figures like Strickland, it would never sell enough to be worth NECA's time. We'll be lucky to get what we've seen and a couple docs to go with them.

Ideal fig to put on Kickstarter or Lootcrate tbh (like the spirit Splinter).

Splinter also was entirely re-used parts aside from the Marshmallows. Strickland would be neat but never going to happen. NECA can't get the rest of the Predator guys done besides Shane Black and I'm sure that's only be cause he made the last movie.

Back