NECA: Alien Movie Franchise Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn Neca!! Is this the same figure?:mad:

DSCN21032.jpg

2wggmzp.jpg

Of course not. Individual 12" two-up versus mass-produced 7" final product.

I'd pay so much for something that looked like the prototype though... maybe Hot Toys will get on the ball again, seeing as Paxton's obviously okay with his likeness being used.

Scaled up, hand painted prototype by a NECA artist with plenty of time to get it right compared to a factory painted production piece by workers trying to crank out thousands of them in a short time to meet a strict deadline. You can have the custom painted prototype on top, but it's probably going to cost you hundreds of dollars compared to the $20 you paid for the factory version.

I think he turned out great for a more extreme expression off a Chinese assembly line. We're viewing him at like 3x real life size. They aren't meant to be under that kind of scrutiny. It's not going to look great like that.

Got my set today along with Predator series 9.

I'm generally happy with them and remain stoked for the rest of the line and what it may bring.

I'll get my downers out of the way. The Warrior aliens lower legs were warped by the packaging and are bow-legged and as a result I'm forced to go with a really wide stance that I otherwise might not want. And maybe I'm doing it wrong but I've never been able to correct problems like this, maybe I lack the patience. So that's a bummer and I can easily see them all turning up like this.

With the marines, well we're getting variants so hopefully we'll be able to complete more important looks in the future. But my main downer on those is the paint - my Hudson does look a little cross-eyed, one of his eyes is turning in slightly. And having gotten the new Dutch figures in Predator series 9 I'm even more convinced that that is the way to go with the waxy skin. The paint on those is much better with almost no mess compared to the marines. Now, I don't know what is so different about these methods but, to me, clearly the Dutch figures have come out better and I don't understand why that wasn't done for the marines aswell. Its possible we were given an explanation and I've forgotten though.
My other dislike, as always, is the ball-joint heads. I could have done without those as head-tilting isn't all that important to me and now we've got the usual ugly cuts that make the figures look like they've been decapitated, particularly bad on Hicks. They were necessary on Dutch because his neck is exposed all the way down to his chest and a joint at the base of his neck would have been an even uglier thing unless they got rid of any type of joint and made it that his head couldn't move at all. However the marines wear undershirts with collars and you could have concealed the joint down there.
Hicks has some ugly joints above his biceps but I'm going to excuse those as they are important in allowing good gun-toting poses.
Oh and the boots being brown does look at odds with the rest of the green-themed camo clothes and armour. A small thing but I'm sure it must be a mistake.

On to the positives - the sculpts are top notch and NECA seem to have gotten the armour down very well including a few things on the Hicks armour that McFarlane missed back in the day. I'm delighted with how the armour looks really. The likenesses are very good including the Alien. I actually like the brown highlights on the latter as that's what I'm sure I remember from the film. The Alien's articulation is incredible, really you'll be able to do anything with this guy and the joints blend into this particular creature design no problem. I kinda would like to buy more but I can't at the moment. Hopefully they'll still be available at decent prices in months and years to come.

All-in-all thanks NECA. The figures you're putting out now and the ones you've hinted at are real dream-come-true items. :clap

Last edited:
Got another two xenos thanks to my bro. Not taken them out of the packaging yet. But they look good. The jaws look perfect too. Pix to follow.

Bri

I'd pay so much for something that looked like the prototype though... maybe Hot Toys will get on the ball again, seeing as Paxton's obviously okay with his likeness being used.

God, we can only hope.

Glad to hear you're happy with your marines, Blade. I haven't had a chance to open mine, but I'm really excited to start exploring diorama possibilities...

I'm not sure the alien warriors look all that horrible to me, but the drybrushing is a bit thick and I think a good colored wash over it all might tone things down and tie it together a bit better. I certainly see myself doing that with the red Aliens from the Genocide 2-packs, anyways. From the promo shots, they remind me of something out of a Clive Barker film. They could use a bit of 'toning down'.

Took my new warrior's out the packaging. There perfectly fine. The jaws are straight on. Not loose at all. Legs are perfect too.

I'm going to repaint one of them later. Let you know how I get on.

With all these new figures coming out I can't wait to see what they come up with next. I defo would like to see Bishop next.

Bri

Picked up Hicks and Hudson. I wish I could love them as much as I want to. Let me start by saying I haven't really made any complaints about anything NECA has put out. I really haven't. However, I'm a little pissed about how these were getting so much hype and in the end my 42$ (plus tax) got me two figures that are 70% flimsy rubber with warped legs that don't stand. Both marines have warped lower right legs. Very disappointed, as it takes so much away from the figures. The head sculpts are great, and the paint apps aren't bad. The only 2 positive things about them. The Pulse Rifles would be perfect, if it weren't for the God awful slings. Hudson's lamp won't even slide into the hole on his back properly because the hole is way too small. Easily my most hated NECA purchases. That's terrible because I thought they would be my top favorites. Needless to say, these were a let down. How are these and Dutch made by the same company?

Last edited:
Mixed response on the marines so far isn't there.

I just don't understand why they weren't done like Dutch who has few to no issues. The jungle encounter Dutch (I think that's what the one with the nude torso is called) is just beautifully pristine whereas my marines have flaking paint on the joints, some scratches, the cross-eyed syndrome, my Hicks has an uneven, lopsided hairline that I'll need to address etc etc. And I really hate the balljoint heads. Hick's profile is ruined because of it.

They're still cool and I will buy every version and every human figure they make but I'd like if they'd do whatever they've been doing with Dutch for future figures.

Update on Hicks: Leg just broke off. Going to TRU now to swap it out for another one. Hopefully they still have the one with the crappier paint app I left behind -_- These are the cheapest figures NECA has put out in a while. I wont be buying the 2 packs now and I will probably quit this line after I get the Warrior. What a huge let down it has been today. Tweeted Randy with my complaints. Lord knows they will be overlooked since I wasn't kissing the ground he walks on.

Yikes, that's scary. My Hicks' right wrist joint feels a little loose and I was worried when moving it that it would snap but it didn't. I feel like the raw unfinished paint has something to do with it. Some of the areas on these guys look like they were painted with storebought acrylic and then never sealed. I don't understand why this is, they never did this on older figures. I'd rather have a little shine to protect the apps than none at all and flakiness.

I don't find these as thrilling as most people seem to, but at the moment I like them enough to buy them. If they announce larger-scale versions or HT updates some of theirs, then I'll bounce. Until then, these 7" ones will do.

Can the legs be fixed with a hairdryer?

Did this with my first Alien Warrior a few years ago. One of his legs was very warped and I fixed it about 80%. Still went with more of a squatting pose afterwards but I'm sure with more time I would've gotten all of it taken care of.

Last edited:
Hicks' leg wasn't as bad as I thought, but its still warped. Mind you, all 3 Marines that I dealt with today had warped legs. I finally got them to pose pretty decent. Only took more than 2+ hours and a trip back to TRU. They would be perfect it weren't for the warped legs and the standing issue. All of my other gripes would be dismissed. The foot tip joints play a serious role in these issues since they are so loose. Who's retarded idea was it to give these figures jointed toes? It just pains me that I have to be so delicate with these but Dutch I can throw off my roof and maybe have to reposition his hand, or his knee.

Can the legs be fixed with a hairdryer?

It only helps a bit, once the plastic is warped that bad it keeps wanting to go back to that state, I tried the boiling water/freezing water trick too, and again it helps but doesn't fix it 100%. Mine looks like he's trying to ride a horse, but that's better then not standing up at all.

The way I did it: hair dryer on high to the back of the leg joint for about 20 seconds. Wait until it gets soft and flimsy then immediately dip it into a cup of cold water. While the leg is in the cold water, put push it against the inside of the cup to the angle you want it. Worked well. I wish I would've taken before and after pictures. Although, even with the warp fixed, they still have trouble standing because of the horrible feet.

It only helps a bit, once the plastic is warped that bad it keeps wanting to go back to that state, I tried the boiling water/freezing water trick too, and again it helps but doesn't fix it 100%. Mine looks like he's trying to ride a horse, but that's better then not standing up at all.

:lol:lol:lol

Back