My Office Showroom Build (Display, Lighting, Mod Tips & Service)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: My office showroom build-out. (IKEA Detolf, Klingsbo, Expedit, custom cabs & ligh

If you're female, between the ages of 19 and 27, extremely attractive, can cook like a pro, decent at cleaning and are an amazing caretaker for young children, I'll make the case to my wife. ;)

Re: My office showroom build-out. (IKEA Detolf, Klingsbo, Expedit, custom cabs & ligh

This is one hell of a work you have done..!!! Great job...Your work is one sense of inspiration to all others to progress..!!!

Sorry for all the broken image links. Nothing has been taken down it's just Flickr's garbage design and poor image server.

I'll try to fix them soon.

I needed some inspiration to start my displays!!
Thanks!!

Love this thread and your display Pixel, so creative with tons of useful information :clap

I have a random question for you Pixel hoping you could help. I'd like to rewire one of my Detolfs using a different type of lighting. But, how would you I go about removing the adhesive that holds the LED's in place (on glass shelves/top MDF board) without making a mess?

If I may pipe up, for minimal mess I strongly recommend UN-DU, which you can get through Amazon. It's similar to Goo-Gone, but without the greasy residue. And sort of like very powerful lighter fluid without the stink. I use it to remove all kinds of strip adhesive -- price tags and the like are easy. If I have to remove an unused stamp from an envelope, it will regain its stickiness after it dries. Great stuff.

The label says, "Safely removes all self-sticking & pressure sensitive stickers, tapes, labels and adhesives on contact. Acid free and photo safe."

Take the bulk of any adhesive strip off with a razor blade, then use an adhesive solvent, probably the one Gruff recommended. GooGone is fine for a lot of things, but don't use it on glass displays/windows - it's a HUGE pain in the butt to clean up afterwards. At least in my experience using regular window cleaning solutions.

If I may pipe up, for minimal mess I strongly recommend UN-DU, which you can get through Amazon. It's similar to Goo-Gone, but without the greasy residue. And sort of like very powerful lighter fluid without the stink. I use it to remove all kinds of strip adhesive -- price tags and the like are easy. If I have to remove an unused stamp from an envelope, it will regain its stickiness after it dries. Great stuff.

The label says, "Safely removes all self-sticking & pressure sensitive stickers, tapes, labels and adhesives on contact. Acid free and photo safe."

Take the bulk of any adhesive strip off with a razor blade, then use an adhesive solvent, probably the one Gruff recommended. GooGone is fine for a lot of things, but don't use it on glass displays/windows - it's a HUGE pain in the butt to clean up afterwards. At least in my experience using regular window cleaning solutions.

Thank you both! I knew the answer could be found in this realm :D :goodpost: :hi5:

Awsome work pixelpiper.

What is this a museum, love those diecast display

Sorry no time yet to fix the broken picture links. The hosting provider for my business domain had a big hard drive crash this week and I'm dealing with the fallout at the moment as they're still restoring to a new server from backups. This is killing me because today was supposed to be the start date for a yearly sale I run (same day as my birthday). Site's up but lots of pages, including progressing through my shopping cart time out. Which means no sales. Nice happy birthday I'm having so far. Ugh.

Placeholder

Last edited:

Placeholder

Last edited:

If you want to remove the viglink wrapper from links on any forum, you can do so by the use of a user script, javascript inserted into specific forum's pages at the browser level. Here's the script: https://userscripts.org/scripts/review/143649

The script when used for a specific site you instruct (or all sites if that's your setting) unwraps any viglink link and restores the original URL as the author of the post entered it.

For Firefox you can use Greasemonkey to do this.
For Safari on the Mac you can use Ninjakit or the excellent Glimmerblocker (highly recommended).
For Internet Explorer you can use Trixie.
For Google Chrome you should be able to download the script above directly into the browser.
For Opera you should also be able to download the script right into the browser.

Here's some information on user scripts and how to use them in different browsers: https://wiki.greasespot.net/Cross-browser_userscripting

Last edited:

Thank you for the work around

Installed thanks Pix

Might no longer be necessary. Been exchanging some PMs with Darklord Dave and he's changed something in the forum's viglink config that seems to have resolved the issue for me. I'm running right now without the script to continue testing, but so far links are appearing properly for the first time in a long while.

Any thoughts on using fish tanks for display cases? The ones with the bowed fronts look nice.

Any thoughts on using fish tanks for display cases? The ones with the bowed fronts look nice.

I have thought of that and seen some nice ones. They have ones with built in LEDS and low profile tops too.

Fish tanks get expensive quickly as you increase their size and there's a point where it's cheaper to buy a display cabinet - or build or having something built. The cheapest tanks by far are the most common volume ones, the kind you see as sort of door-crashers and starter tanks at places like Petsmart, etc. 20g, 15g, etc. I did some lint research on this for someone else a while back and the most difficult thing is getting a reliable price online - most online listings are for "kits" which you don't want, as they will include light hood, lights, possibly a filter, and misc. other accessories.

Back