My Office Showroom Build (Display, Lighting, Mod Tips & Service)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: My office showroom build-out. (IKEA Detolf, Klingsbo, Expedit, custom cabs & ligh

Raising a Detolf -

Base cabinet: IKEA Akurum Kitchen Wall Cabinet 15 x30"
Door: IKEA Harlig 15x24"
Side panels: IKEA Nexus cut down to size (look in the AS-IS section for panels)

3" removed from the bottom of the cabinet's side panels, plus a notch cut out to create a recessed toe kick. Thin piece of masonite/mdf painted black and added to front to face the toe kick. Screws secure the Detolf from the inside of the base cabinet. The base cabinet and top of the Detolf secured to the wall behind them for safety.

Last edited:
Re: My office showroom build-out. (IKEA Detolf, Klingsbo, Expedit, custom cabs & ligh

Thanks a lot Pixel, great pics!

I've been to IKEA a million times but never bothered with those kitchen cabinets so please forgive my questions :lol

The last picture you posted with the interior showing: are those white boards on the top, bottom and left side those Nexus support boards you referenced?

Sorry, I didn't have any time earlier for text to go along with the images. Still don't have much time now... :)

Everything white (except the door) is the Akurum cabinet. The NExus panels are the brown on the left and right. The brown shelf inside the cabinet is a extra divider I had from the top of my Expedit units (cut a little shorter). The push-to-open mechanism you can see is from the as-is parts section where you can fill a bag full of stuff for $1. And the door as mentioned is Harlig, which was probably $5 or $7. The Blum hinges I also bought from IKEA in 3 packs to save a few pennies. More expensive than Blum at Home Depot, but much much better as well (wider opening and screw-less mounting onto the door).

Are those nudie magazines and books you blurred out :naughty:monkey5

They're called "art" books! ;) No, pet-related stuff, mostly aquarium stuff. It was too distracting from the parts of the photo showing the cabinet pieces.

Sorry, I didn't have any time earlier for text to go along with the images. Still don't have much time now... :)

Everything white (except the door) is the Akurum cabinet. The NExus panels are the brown on the left and right. The brown shelf inside the cabinet is a extra divider I had from the top of my Expedit units (cut a little shorter). The push-to-open mechanism you can see is from the as-is parts section where you can fill a bag full of stuff for $1. And the door as mentioned is Harlig, which was probably $5 or $7. The Blum hinges I also bought from IKEA in 3 packs to save a few pennies. More expensive than Blum at Home Depot, but much much better as well (wider opening and screw-less mounting onto the door).

Thank you this is extremely helpful :hi5:

Are those nudie magazines and books you blurred out :naughty:monkey5

:rotfl :lol :rotfl

Yo. Here's a pic of the parts that I used.

I used an end cap that you find in the plumbing section, and a plastic Playhut ball. I have an extra if you want one. And for the base I used a Star Wars stand/base for 12" figures.

I obviously sanded down the end cap, so that it was the right size. I could have sanded/cut it down further. I still think it's too tall.

Last edited:

I think I have a bunch of those thin plastic hollow play ball5 - added to my component list. It will probably be well into fall before I can start this.

Not much time lately to work on display stuff, but I did get a few things done this week while in the middle of other pressing work.

Here's one of my vintage IKEA Klingsbo displays (the center one) where I've fitted a custom shelf and some steps to display smaller items. The glass shelf is made from 3 Detolf shelves wedged into a couple of MDF strips - only leverage and friction holding them safely in place, no support at the front or sides. Nice. ;) I have a bunch of stuff already on hand to add to the shelves, but I'm trying to get a feeling for where everything will go and to make sure nothing is too hidden.

The Hot toys DX07 weather vane has also finally been mounted as the new mini connectors I ordered from Hong Kong along with a new/better DC-to-DC step-down converter (with current limiting) finally arrived last week. I have created, but not yet printed, a new background to replace the one seen in these photos. It's a little bigger and will be much brighter with better color - I've already done a few test prints of other things at Costco and was quite pleased.

Last edited:

NOICE! :rock :rock

Very nice idea about using those Klingsbo cabinets, with a few custom tweaks.

The main thing I wanted to chime in on was those 2 small hand puppets you have to the right of the display. I had those when I was a kid and loved playing with them.

I'm referring to those 2 little Goofy looking rubber silicone hand puppets to the far right bottom shelf of your display next to the Pez dispensers. The back of them have three holes you place on your fingers. Then you can make move the silicone rubber to create really funny expressions. I used to really annoy my sister with them and put them right up in her face. Thanks for bringing back those memories.

:lol I had those as well :rock

They're not the oldest things in the cabinet, but those finger puppets must be getting close to around 30 years old now.

I've pretty much finished off my Batcave/Bunker diorama except for some final touch-ups, so I' hope to be setting up the figures this week and snapping some higher quality photos (finally!)

Here's one of the last things I added, some additional boxes and Wayne Enterprise logos. I just wish I had a computerized cutter so I could have made some nice masks and spray painted the logos instead of using clear acetate.

Last edited:

I've pretty much finished off my Batcave/Bunker diorama except for some final touch-ups, so I' hope to be setting up the figures this week and snapping some higher quality photos (finally!)

Here's one of the last things I added, some additional boxes and Wayne Enterprise logos. I just wish I had a computerized cutter so I could have made some nice masks and spray painted the logos instead of using clear acetate.

Will you be offering to make the Wayne enterprises boxes for people?

Will you be offering to make the Wayne enterprises boxes for people?

I'll have to think about it. Cardboard boxes are easy to ship, but the plastic ones, even though very light, are bulky and therefore expensive to ship - at least from Canada.

I've been toying with the idea of shipping some pre-made lighting kits as well, so we'll see. It's all a matter of ROI, because I have a full-time business to run already. ;)

Back