My Office Showroom Build (Display, Lighting, Mod Tips & Service)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: My office showroom build-out. (IKEA Detolf, Klingsbo, Expedit, custom cabs & ligh

Thanks for the reference pics! BTW, would you say that your combo troopers are the same overall height as 100% Marmit and/or 100% Sideshow?

The strangest thing with your reference photos - the doorway looks wider in the angle shot than it does in the frontal - which is the opposite of what I'd expect.

Last edited:
Re: My office showroom build-out. (IKEA Detolf, Klingsbo, Expedit, custom cabs & ligh

92C53C4C-002A-440E-82D4-3A1818184CFD-3698-000002D00EA3A31A_zpsf876e4ef.jpg

Thanks for the reference pics! BTW, would you say that your combo troopers are the same overall height as 100% Marmit and/or 100% Sideshow?

Pretty darned close...see comparison.

7CF10C38-C2B4-4095-8AB4-F36E22735E1D-3698-000002D25A2146F9_zps0803318d.jpg

I'm likely going to go 6" wide and 14" tall for the alley doorway. The Cantina doors will be much shorter, under 12" - width is anyone's guess for the main door though.

That's a good call. That height can come in handy if your door threshold is low to the ground. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

I'm having a really hard time with the arch for the Cantina entrance - I've already modified the design to allow for the maximum width I'll be able to fit in the display area and I'll still have to compress a few features to make them all fit. The toughest part is choosing where to make the compromises.

Images lost during forum upgrade.

Last edited:

Images lost during forum upgrade.

Last edited:

Yeah, it's amazing how much space is used once you get started. I originally was going to make my hallway scene bigger, but the scale kept creeping on me. I still haven't finished, I never did the other side of the wall. But someday......I will have the other side complete.

Here's a few links to some small images that might help:

https://www.starwarslocations.com/mediagallery/media.php?f=0&sort=0&s=20100620145314605

https://www.starwarslocations.com/swarchive/GeographicStarWars2/matmata.htm

https://www.starwarslocations.com/mediagallery/media.php?f=0&sort=0&s=20100620145339742

https://www.starwarslocations.com/mediagallery/media.php?f=0&sort=0&s=20100620145315173

Those are the same images I took from the Bluray as well - I see I forgot to upload a couple of them last night.

dude im speechless. SO COOL. that detolf lock will definatley be an addition to my cabinets. thanks a lot sir

Thanks for the kind words. I mentioned in the Detolf thread that I'd make an illustrated list of lighting parts, but I'll add the lock and other IKEA cabinet-related options. It's probably going to be a little while, but I'll link it in my signature, and that way I'll have an easy one-stop-shop set of posts specific to Detolf and a few other IKEA cabinets.

Detolf locks are an excellent idea :rock

What are you using to prop your Detolfs off the ground pixel?

Akurum kitchen upper cabinet (cut down a few inches), Harlig door (super cheap), Nexus side panels (one panel from AS-IS section cut down).

Akurum kitchen upper cabinet (cut down a few inches), Harlig door (super cheap), Nexus side panels (one panel from AS-IS section cut down).

Oh so this was an IKEA hack? Sweet. :rock

I've been dying for a pedestal for my Detolfs, I contacted Ikea directly about it but they told me nothing would support their weight. If you ever do a write up on yours that would be amazing. ;)

As far as weight goes, I'd feel comfortable stacking 5 or more Detolfs on top of that single Akurum cabinet, especially after attaching the Nexus side panels. That's 4 sheets of 3/4 particle board on end. Very strong.

The cabinet is screwed to the bottom of the Detolf and its back is secured to the wall. The top of the Detolf is also secured to the wall. Very sturdy.

There's not much to this hack really. You buy the 15x30 Akurum upper cabinet, build it, put the Detolf on it, screw it together and you're done. Mine involves some additional hacking, but that's pretty easy too. Before assembling, cut the sides down to your desired cabinet height. You'll need to make new holes for the dowels and metal fasteners - instead of making those holes aligned with the very bottom of the panels, I put made them so they'd be about 4" off the floor. I also cut a notch into the bottom front edge of each side panel so that I could put a thin piece of MDF across the bottom to cover underneath the cabinet and to give it a sunken toe-kick appearance. Check the very first pictures in this thread - I'll try and get some better ones with my Nikon to put up as well.

Last edited:

Excellent

Edit: Idk how I missed your explanation but thanks, this is awesome. :)

Last edited:

I'm thinking I'll use the 30" height of the Akruym so I won't need to cut it down at all. Would you mind explaining how you added the 3/4" Nexus boards a little further? Adding structural support to this is obviously my primary concern :lol and I'm not sure I'll be able to fasten this to a wall yet.

Thanks for the help & hope I'm not highjacking your thread :)

I'll take some pictures tomorrow for you, they'll help a lot.

Back