My Jack Sparrow Re-paint

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Roranous

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hello, this is the first time I have ever attempted a full head repaint. This is a picture of the original head paint....
IMG_2975.jpg

This is the one I repainted.
IMG_3015.jpg

I think new paint helped the likeness a little. It was pretty difficult so I don't think I will be trying it again anytime soon. :lol

Just wanted to share. Let me know what you think. If you think I suck then please show me what you have done. :D

Last edited:
Not bad for a Mojado!!

Nicely done for your first time, to bad all first times cant go so well.

I agree, I think you did a very fine job. Of course, I have never attempted anything like this so it really appears to be a great turnout for your first.

Very nice for a first attempt. Does it have any issues?... not really.. it is an improvement on the factory paint so you can't really say anything bad about that. :rock

First paint apps are always the scariest... especially eyes. But do not worry, you will only get better over time. You certainly have chosen a most ballsy move in having that figure as your first, I have to say that.

I know I couldn't have been so daring...:lol

Any support is always appreciated and greatly welcomed. :)

The eyes definitely were tricky, as well as mixing a nice skin tone. They still don't look very realistic. I have to learn the tricks of the greats....and get a smaller tipped paint brush for detail.

Jack will go through this torture again soon. :rock

One bit of advice, based on my plans for my own paint Job, Johnny Depp wore sunglass contacts for playing Jack in all of the daylight scenes so he could keep his eyes from squinting, so that plus night shots, equals basically his eyes almost appearing black instead of brown, Neca's 12" Jack has perfect Jack/ Johnny eyes and all they did was very white eyes with black iris' and it so looks like him, which is what I plan to do on my Medi Jack, I'm about 90% happy with Medi as is, but they eyes just aren't painted to character, there should be a good ammount of white and very dark iris' to get that gaze that is very characteristically Jack Sparrow, and the black eye shadow just highlights it all the more.

MaulFan said:
One bit of advice, based on my plans for my own paint Job, Johnny Depp wore sunglass contacts for playing Jack in all of the daylight scenes so he could keep his eyes from squinting, so that plus night shots, equals basically his eyes almost appearing black instead of brown, Neca's 12" Jack has perfect Jack/ Johnny eyes and all they did was very white eyes with black iris' and it so looks like him, which is what I plan to do on my Medi Jack, I'm about 90% happy with Medi as is, but they eyes just aren't painted to character, there should be a good ammount of white and very dark iris' to get that gaze that is very characteristically Jack Sparrow, and the black eye shadow just highlights it all the more.
Very nice to know. I had them as all black but for some reason it looked weird. I will do it next time for sure though because I agree, it would look more appropriate to the character. :rock

Warning....eyes are the most difficult part. My Jack looked like a hamster on crack for a little while with the first eyes I painted.:lol

Eyes are really hard... it takes a lot of practice and tons of trial and error.

Just study eyes and keep trying... it will come in time. Meanwhile, welcome to the beginning of a loooong road. :duff

El Roranous said:
Very nice to know. I had them as all black but for some reason it looked weird. I will do it next time for sure though because I agree, it would look more appropriate to the character. :rock

Warning....eyes are the most difficult part. My Jack looked like a hamster on crack for a little while with the first eyes I painted.:lol

Well, I appreciate the warning, I've got a lot of painting experience behind me with 3 years in high school and 4 years of college, just haven't ventured into repainting collectibles really and Jack'll be my first. I'm fortunate that the first JS I bought actually has some great paint apps already, I've seen some, including the spare I bought for repaint, with a terrible paint job of the eye shadow, but now with 2 Jacks, I've put both belts on him and used both sashes to get the right wrap around his waist and have the right ammount left over for the hand over his belts, and I may pickup an extra NECA Jack for the chicken foot and other oddities on his second belt, not sure though, Medi's accessories really are meant for P1 Jack and he had nothing on his belt but his compass, I'm really waiting for my HT Jack so I can add those items to the Medi figure. It's fun going for ultimate Jack :)

MaulFan said:
Well, I appreciate the warning, I've got a lot of painting experience behind me with 3 years in high school and 4 years of college, just haven't ventured into repainting collectibles really and Jack'll be my first. I'm fortunate that the first JS I bought actually has some great paint apps already, I've seen some, including the spare I bought for repaint, with a terrible paint job of the eye shadow, but now with 2 Jacks, I've put both belts on him and used both sashes to get the right wrap around his waist and have the right ammount left over for the hand over his belts, and I may pickup an extra NECA Jack for the chicken foot and other oddities on his second belt, not sure though, Medi's accessories really are meant for P1 Jack and he had nothing on his belt but his compass, I'm really waiting for my HT Jack so I can add those items to the Medi figure. It's fun going for ultimate Jack :)
Wow, sounds intense. We need some pictures once your ultimate Jack is complete. I want to get the Hot Toys Jack as well but I am waiting to find it for a killer price. :D

I have no painting experience...more of a music child myself but it sure is fun trying new things. :chew

Perhaps if I feel happy enough with repainting Jack, I may venture off and give him a cannibal island repaint, that is one of the most classic ideas they had in the trilogy, giving him the painted eyes, good humor, the whole time on that island was a fun watch.

DarkArtist81 said:
Eyes are really hard... it takes a lot of practice and tons of trial and error.

Just study eyes and keep trying... it will come in time. Meanwhile, welcome to the beginning of a loooong road. :duff
I will go for it again. When I do however, I think I will go for this look.

JackSparrow.jpg

When you paint heads do you wipe all the paint of some how and start fresh or just put the new paint over the old? I used this stuff called gesso as a first coat this time but I am really clueless about this stuff. Is there a way to seal your work when you are finally done?

Well I don't know much about your questions, other than to say, I'm pretty sure Medi's Jack is unpainted on his face but for the beard hair and eyes and eybrows, I believe the skin tone is the shade of the plastic used to make the figure.

El Roranous said:
When you paint heads do you wipe all the paint of some how and start fresh or just put the new paint over the old? I used this stuff called gesso as a first coat this time but I am really clueless about this stuff. Is there a way to seal your work when you are finally done?

Well I just paint over the old coat of paint myself. And when I'm done I use Model Master Flat clearcoat. And as for regular paints... I swear (and Les as well) by Model Master Acryl. :rock

Here are some shots of where my Ultimate Jack is at the moment, clothes on my original Jack with the good paint apps, my other figure waits decapitated til I can hit the paint store sometime this week to pick up the Acrylics that seem popular with the local experts.

JS1.jpg

JS2.jpg

Very cool Jack repaints!
And yes, eyes are hard. Don't be too hard on yourself. And observe. Best thing you can do.

DarkArtist81 said:
Well I just paint over the old coat of paint myself. And when I'm done I use Model Master Flat clearcoat. And as for regular paints... I swear (and Les as well) by Model Master Acryl. :rock
Awesome. Thank you for the info. :rock

Back