Morrison trying to emulate WATCHMEN?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
Grant Morrison on Watchmen 2?
King Of The Weird Grant Morrison has announced to Comic Book Resources that he's working on a comic that's kind of like Watchmen 2…in that it takes the Charlton characters Alan Moore based his Watchmen characters on and goes nuts with 'em.

Also, he blatantly SAYS:

"I've just been doing an Earth Four book, which is the Charlton characters but I've decided to write it like "Watchmen." [laughs] So it's written backwards and sideways and filled with all kinds of symbolism and because of that it's taking quite a long time to write."

WOW. I mean–wow. I'm all for taking semi-forgotten characters with basically-strong premises and doing all sorts of wacky, genre-bending things with them, and Grant Morrison is probably the absolute number one comic book writer in the world for doing exactly that. Remember Seven Soldiers? I would viciously murder someone if it meant an ongoing "Frankenstein " or "The Guardian " series. OK, I wouldn't viciously murder. Probably just verbally assault them until they were a quivering pile of tears and regret.

LOVE all this Morrison news of late. LOVE it. He also reveals in the interview that he has a lot of "Hollywood" things going on and a Vertigo book in the works called "Joe The Barbarian". He says: "I’ve wanted to do one of those Narnia-style worlds in a wardrobe-type stories but I didn’t want to do it until I had the energy and time to do it. It’s about a little kid who has diabetes, which makes you hallucinate if you don’t take your medicines. And something happens to him in his home. The Hollywood pitch is “Home Alone” meets “Lord of the Rings.”

Just to be clear: I don't think there should be any kind of sequel, prequel, or anything for "Watchmen", even if Grant Morrison wrote it. Hell, even if Alan Moore wrote it. That story is perfect in and of itself, the characters are not sustainable or really even interesting enough to have an ongoing series about, and it's done done done. That story is over, let it die. And after its basically-disastrous showing at the box office, I think we're safe from any "Watchmen" expansions any time soon, thank god.

Morrison using the Charlton characters will give us something uniquely Morrison-ian, an alternate and no doubt exceedingly dense and weird take that could be more like "Watchmen 1.5" than Watchmen 2. I'm fascinated at the prospect and cannot wait.

i am already aware of the fact that Grant is probably a crazy person.
and yes, i will read that comic when (if) it comes out. especially if Question is in it.

I don't know!? It sounds like he's just trying to capitalize on success than do something original. Watchmen was a trailblazer for the time frame it came out in and has stood well on it's own.

Grant Morrison is so overrated. Some of his work is great, but lately he is almost bein wierd to be wierd. There are so many other writers who have put out better work lately tahn him. I mean, Final Crisis was a disaster. And what he did not Batman was horrible.

Morrison has written some interesting stuff but this feels like a cheap capitalization and has a huge fail possibility.....also I'll never forgive what he did to Beast.

astonishing-x-men-beast-1.jpg

:nono :nono :nono

Seriously, I want to punch this idea in the face. And the dork at CBR who's "fascinated at the prospect and cannot wait" will be second.

Morrison is safe from my fists, because he's earned a "Get Out of Jail FREE" card... but it's just been used up.

I love Morrison and all the feathers he ruffles.

The Invisibles, Animal Man and The Filth are some of my all time favs and are just as strong and interesting as Watchmen. Good to hear Morrison is returning to writing more weird, subversive stuff.

I seriously doubt this will emulate Watchmen in much more than the tone and the notion of deconstruction, but Morrison has done that before in other books so no worries. The Watchmen name is prolly dropped to get some of the current main stream attention for this project and let those know Morrison also tells meta comic stories. I don't really have any problem with that. The more eyeballs reading comics the better. I'm fascinated by the prospect and cannot wait. :monkey3 Bring it on! :joy

I think the term "Watchmen 2" is used loosely. Morrison is nutty but also one of the best writers in the medium, also Moore is equally if not more nutty. Not that it's a contest.

Morrison has written some interesting stuff but this feels like a cheap capitalization and has a huge fail possibility.....also I'll never forgive what he did to Beast.

astonishing-x-men-beast-1.jpg

:nono :nono :nono

What's wrong Mike, you don't fancy Beast as a furry? Just kidding but really if you read some of his X-Men and what Joss Whedon did with him he still comes across as good old Hank, just sheds more.

never? really? it wasn't that bad but i can agree as a "fanboy" change is hard to swallow sometimes.

Well first I was using hyperbole. Second a Cat? a ^^^^ing cat? that is the best he could do? the evolution is a cat. Almost as innovative as the rockier Thing. :lol

Grant Morrison is so overrated. Some of his work is great, but lately he is almost bein wierd to be wierd. There are so many other writers who have put out better work lately tahn him. I mean, Final Crisis was a disaster. And what he did not Batman was horrible.

also I'll never forgive what he did to Beast.

Ugh, seriously. I can't stand Grant Morrison. You folks are right. He's like one of those "artists" you have to pretend to understand what he's saying in order to "appreciate his genius". New X-Men was stupid, I just figured when I was reading it, I didn't "get it", now when I look back and realize all the changes he made, they were stupid. Plus, Frank Quitely draws ugly pictures and considering the two have to work together, they're quite the pair of suck.

All-Star Superman?? umm, yeah cool, if you liked Superman from 40 years ago, why not do new things with the character instead of reheating what happened long ago.

Considering Batman is my favorite DC hero, I'm not at all excited about what's coming up, nor was I enthralled with RIP. He is just weird for the sake of being weird. I know that was already said, but it doesn't hurt to emphasize it.

Morrison totally F'd up the DCU. DC spent the whole Infinte Crisis period compressing their Multiverse to one earth, and I actually enjoyed that one. It felt appropriately epic. Then Morrison comes along and says, "y'know, I actually liked the Multiverse" so now he writes it back in again, with his dream machines and viruses inside a bullet, and some magical math problem that enslaves the entire human race. UGH!! :banghead :duh Then DiDio has to come through and say, "That was the plan the whole time, to get rid of the Multiverse and bring it back" :thwak

Give me Millar and Hitch over Morrison and Quitely any day of the week.

ohhh you mean like saying Grant Morrison is sooo galactically stupid he should be strapped to a rocket ship and sent to the furthest reaches of space never to be heard of again for what he did to beast.
:lecture:lol:rotfl

Exactly! :lol :duff

Back