MONDO - THE THING

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok finally gave the 2011 movie another watch, and I admit it does work better than I remembered. At least as your standard modern day horror movie. There are some pretty good scares and the CG Thing is still pretty horrific and believable enough (save for that cartoonish final shot of course).

I think the problem is just that the movie is much more about monster attacks and fighting creatures with flamethrowers than creating a sense of paranoia throughout. And it barely spends any time at all making you guess about who may or may not be the Thing, or really testing and pushing these characters to their psychological limits like the original movie did. So even with practical effects I'm not sure the movie would have worked any better.

How strange that most of my preorders on BBTS are from The Thing. From this huge gap in time where the only representation of this movie in my collection was the McFarlane Movie Maniacs pair of figures from the year 2000 - to all of a sudden now having NECA's Dog Thing x3, Macready Last Stand x2 and Mondo's Macready on preorder. And yes I also have NECA's Macready Outpost 31 x22, Macready Station Survival x2 and the Movie Poster figure x1.

I think the problem is just that the movie is much more about monster attacks and fighting creatures with flamethrowers than creating a sense of paranoia throughout. And it barely spends any time at all making you guess about who may or may not be the Thing, or really testing and pushing these characters to their psychological limits like the original movie did. So even with practical effects I'm not sure the movie would have worked any better.
That’s the great thing about the 82 film. Take away all the amazing effects and it’s a terrific film about paranoia and mistrust.
The effects are the icing on the cake.

Last edited:
Unless we're planning to undress him, put him in various runaway model poses, or do anything with him other than place him on display (or heck even leave MIB), I don't see the lack of a barely visible blue hoodie as a deal breaker. Just sayin'. Is this thing expensive?: sho' nuff. Are they cutting corners? Not likely. There's a certain point where aesthetics vs. accuracy comes into play. If they added that blue hoodie under that big ole honkin' jacket and clothes he already has on....He would look like this guy.... 😉 :toilet_cl :1-1:
View attachment 672368
Looks like Skiman.

I wonder if Mondo will release the dog and spider-head as a separate pack as an add-on eventually?

Mondo has not released add-on packs in the past that I recall.

I think this business model of timed editions works out in their favor because it drives up sales with this demand or idea of scarcity for the diehard fans since a purchase decision has to be made within a short PO window.

The more casual customer may not be aware of these products and discover them down the road, opting for the regular edition.

Plus, if you buy from Mondo direct, I’m guessing they don’t have to split the profit margins with distributors (SSC, BBTS, etc). Basically cutting out the middleman.

The baby blue hoodie has potential. The actual colour of the hoodie should be heather blue.

Attachments

• 20231116_114634.jpg
    20231116_114634.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
As much as I am a big fan of the movie, I decided to pass on Mondos release. not liking what I see, speciallly the jumpsuit zippers, the jacket material and how it fits, the boots, and I am worried about the figure scale compared to other figures or the final product quality.

As much as I am a big fan of the movie, I decided to pass on Mondos release. not liking what I see, speciallly the jumpsuit zippers, the jacket material and how it fits, the boots, and I am worried about the figure scale compared to other figures or the final product quality.
Scale should be fine. Jacket is an issue sure but the rest is fine. If they improve the jacket and the head paint doesn't get a major downgrade then I will be happy. If the jacket remains the same and head paint doesn't get a major downgrade I will be content. If jacket is the same and paint is bad, I will be disappointed. In any case, the figure will be either good enough or a good base for an improved custom. Worth getting after all these years with no 1:6 Mac. It isn't like HT would ever do it. They don't care.

The mondo body looks to be 1/2"-1" taller than a HT with longer legs and more limited elbow articulation. I'll swap out the base body first thing.
For a further $600 you can have the head the whole damn thing. Just felt like saying that. The extra estimated amount would replace if necessary the clothing and figure body.

Back