MONDO - THE THING

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since the deluxe comes with the Dog thing, part of me wants to display him without the jacket. I have the Sideshow Russel's and never use their jackets either. I know Mac is more synonymous with his Jacket, but there is no doubt that someone will do a run of better quality jackets and I will grab one if I feel the need.

I hated the THing 2011. CGI is why modern movies/characters are NOT memorable.

The Thing 2011 was sort of pushed into a corner from story perspective.

What I mean is by creating a "prequel", the story had to have someone who cut their wrists in the radio room, there needed to be space ship found, there needed to be the ice block "coffin" that was burst out. There needed to be the two person monster burned outside. There needed to be an axe in the wall and some backstory to having grenades. And at least two people needed to survive to chase the dog.

The opening scenes also needed to introduce and justify the Kate character. I have nothing against Winstead, but she's not a great actress and she had no connection to the people there at that site. Part of the beauty of the 1982 version is that the entire base already knew each other, were trapped together and were sick of each other and isolated. They were already "weakened" to their own self destructive pathologies and interpersonal conflicts just as regular humans.

The 2011 version, all the deaths did not seem purposeful. For example, when Clark got shot in the head in the original, it highlighted that you might kill a human and not a "monster" by mistake. It heightened the uncertainty. Whereas, in the prequel, there seemed to be carnage for the sake of carnage, to justify the SFX used and to try to whittle down the cast to Winstead and clearly Edgerton at the end ( they were the "headliners" of this cast) I also appreciate that the original had people make mistakes and use poor judgement, but it was not out of line to the context of the situation ( they were exhausted, isolated, frustrated and terrified with no hope of outside rescue) Whereas Winstead was always right and always effective. ( In the original, IMHO, it was critical for MacReady to shoot Clark in the head. To create suspicion around MacReady being infected, but also to ask the question on how clever were the monsters behaving to pick off the Outpost crew one by one. In the prequel, it's Mr Ecko who blows the guy away with the flamethrower and there is absolutely no stakes at all involved)

Maybe it would have been easier to do a story without all the requirements built within it to make the prequel fit the canon created in the 1982 version. Also, at no point in the 2011 version do you suspect that Winstead/Kate is infected. I don't see how you can create effective tension when she's Mary Sue'd up and slathered in plot armor. Just some thoughts.

Last edited:
I have Sideshow's Snake too, always liked him and actually think he's one of their better figures from that period. Yet he always seems to draw a lot of hate . . .

I got mine customised by a really capable and nice fella on this site (Raymond) - he did an amazing job with the repaint and costume.

Never regretted buying the original OR getting the upgrades done.

What I mean is by creating a "prequel", the story had to have someone who cut their wrists in the radio room, there needed to be space ship found, there needed to be the ice block "coffin" that was burst out. There needed to be the two person monster burned outside. There needed to be an axe in the wall and some backstory to having grenades. And at least two people needed to survive to chase the dog.

The opening scenes also needed to introduce and justify the Kate character. I have nothing against Winstead, but she's not a great actress and she had no connection to the people there at that site. Part of the beauty of the 1982 version is that the entire base already knew each other, were trapped together and were sick of each other and isolated. They were already "weakened" to their own self destructive pathologies and interpersonal conflicts just as regular humans.

The 2011 version, all the deaths did not seem purposeful. For example, when Clark got shot in the head in the original, it highlighted that you might kill a human and not a "monster" by mistake. It heightened the uncertainty. Whereas, in the prequel, there seemed to be carnage for the sake of carnage, to justify the SFX used and to try to whittle down the cast to Winstead and clearly Edgerton at the end ( they were the "headliners" of this cast) I also appreciate that the original had people make mistakes and use poor judgement, but it was not out of line to the context of the situation ( they were exhausted, isolated, frustrated and terrified with no hope of outside rescue) Whereas Winstead was always right and always effective. ( In the original, IMHO, it was critical for MacReady to shoot Clark in the head. To create suspicion around MacReady being infected, but also to ask the question on how clever were the monsters behaving to pick off the Outpost crew one by one. In the prequel, it's Mr Ecko who blows the guy away with the flamethrower and there is absolutely no stakes at all involved)

Maybe it would have been easier to do a story without all the requirements built within it to make the prequel fit the canon created in the 1982 version. Also, at no point in the 2011 version do you suspect that Winstead/Kate is infected. I don't see how you can create effective tension when she's Mary Sue'd up and slathered in plot armor. Just some thoughts.
Agreed with pretty much all of that. I also hated the thing just bursting out of the ice instead of thawing first. Didn't make sense that something that was stopped thousands of years before by getting frozen would suddenly escape while still frozen. That scene was purely there for subverting expectations and jump scares sake rather than logical plot progression.

Agreed with pretty much all of that. I also hated the thing just bursting out of the ice instead of thawing first. Didn't make sense that something that was stopped thousands of years before by getting frozen would suddenly escape while still frozen. That scene was purely there for subverting expectations and jump scares sake rather than logical plot progression.
Not just the Thing but MEW's character essentially represents modern writing and why it's bad. Characters seem never to make mistakes and if they do, they are never punished for it. No accountability essentially.
I just think CGI has created a lazy generation of writers, directors and movies look awful. I think we ALL agree practical effects are better, but as movie studios want to pander to a certain Communist nation, until that ends, we will never get away from the awful CGI.

Psychologically, CGI is just less effective on the human mind. CGI is good if used sparingly, but as we know in modern hollywood, they are a lost cause.

I keep looking at the Timed Edition and I am not sure the statues, are worth the extra 40 dollars. Extras really could have been a hood...seriously.

I guess the dog and spider can technically be a diorama....an overpriced one.

Agreed, they did such a poor job of advertising it as a prequel as well that many still think it's a remake to this day, it should've been called The Thing: Thule Station or something else to set it apart from the first one. You also make a very good point with the sense familiarity being lost with the Norwegian outpost having people from kind of all over including new arrivals with Kate, it really takes away from the main theme of distrust and how easy it spreads. It's way more harrowing watching these men who have known each other for so long completely lose their minds and start hating and conspiring against each other than it is to see Norwegians and Americans taking sides.

What I really disliked about the deaths is that they don't happen because The Thing is caught or someone makes a mistake leading to their demise, instead people die because people are just stupid and choose to die or the thing decides to transform itself at times where it literally makes no sense to reveal itself. Like when Kate is drawn into a room alone by the infected Juliette at that point she should've pulled a Blair, shoved her hand in Kate's face and assimilate her instantly, instead it chooses to transform itself for about a minute giving Kate plenty of time to escape then rampages along the hallways of the outpost taking out a guy who just happened to be walking by. When Edvard transforms towards the end Adam and Derek die because instead of running away they just stand in the room yelling at Carter to burn the thing while it swings a large tentacle everywhere. Sanders dies unceremoniously off screen after being the main human villain for the whole movie (and the actor really was wasted after watching the Banshee clips you sent before) and Colin, the guy who slits his neck also does it off screen for seemingly no reason since by the point he did it, the thing, Kate and Carter were away from the base in the spaceship.

Agreed on Kate as well she had way too much plot armor especially at the end when she is getting attacked by the Sanders thing who has multiple windows to infect her, hell it really has ALL the power to infect her since it could just drop a limb to go attack her really instead of playing a big dumb monster and then at the end the now infected Carter not only has her all alone, it also has a flamethrower so it could've just torched Kate or assimilated her with no fuss but instead it chooses to keep the charade up for seemingly no reason, giving itself away as an imitation in the process. Then she gets on the snowcat and is never seen again, probably sequel bait I'm guessing but it feels so much weaker compared to what Carpenter did.

Carpenter's Thing has so many intentional and unintentional layers that make it so rich, there's such a good theory about Macready being the thing and attempting to infect everyone else on a celular level because of a small detail with his J&B bottle near the start of the movie and the other very questionable things that happen like Fuchs dying right after telling Mac they should all eat and drink from cans and personal bottles, his torn clothes, him making it back in the storm... To a lot of people he is human but you can't deny there is a case to be made he could be infected too meanwhile with Kate there is no doubt she is human as the prequel isn't nearly as clever with it's details and nuances in the writing it's a pretty straight forward and generic monster flick where the hero makes it.

In another time or another universe it would've been interesting to see a prequel with an all Norwegian cast more in tone with Carpenter's film, of course that would never happen because those kind of movies don't sell well to general audience and to be honest it's more interesting to theorize what happened at the outpost than seeing it in the 2011 prequel, the power of imagination is stronger than a CGI tentacle monster roaring and running around imo.

There is a new Thing adaptation in the works from Blumhouse based off the extend version of the original novella but details on it are still murky, apparently Carpenter is attached in some capacity but he hasn't really said anything. It will be interesting to see what happens with that and if it can successfully portray those themes of paranoia, distrust, betrayal, isolation as well as Carpenter did and better than the prequel.

I don't believe Macready is the thing. His blood test proved that and you saw him the rest of the way through the movie. Child's was missing at times at towards end. He's the Thing! Macready should of torched his ass right there at the end...that's why Mac said "let's just wait"...he was waiting for Child's to get him.

I don't believe Macready is the thing. His blood test proved that and you saw him the rest of the way through the movie. Child's was missing at times at towards end. He's the Thing! Macready should of torched his ass right there at the end...that's why Mac said "let's just wait"...he was waiting for Child's to get him.
A very clever theory suggests MacReady gets himself infected in this scene:

How you ask? The J&B bottle. At the beginning of the movie while the Norwegians chase the husky, the dog creature finds it's way to outpost 31 where it jumps onto Bennings and proceeds to lick his gloves all over, that is close up shot. In the mid of skirmish Mac comes out with the uncapped bottle and hands it to Bennings, who grabs right on the top with his gloves filled with dog thing drool. The next time we see Macready drink from that bottle is when he is recording that tape and what happens right after that scene? He goes see Fuchs and asks about his findings on the thing, Fuchs tells him it replicates on a cellular level and they need to start eating from cans to be safe and then suspiciously right after someone draws Fuchs outside and he ends up dead after finding Mac's torn coveralls.

And then at the end what does Macready have? The J&B bottle which he hands over to Childs and laughs when he takes a swig, many theorized it's because the bottle is filled with gasoline and Childs just gave itself away as a thing but it could also be interpreted as an infected Mac relishing in one final victory as it gets ready to freeze and maybe one day thaw out again.

Of course the blood test should be enough proof that Mac is human but we never see him draw his own blood, and with so many people to test who is to say he didn't just sneakily swap some blood while everyone else is getting their thumb slit? Mind you I'm not saying Mac is the thing I'm just saying the film is written so cleverly and has so many details in the frames that a viewer could come up with that kind of theory, meanwhile with the prequel you can't, Kate is 100% human while with Macready even after following him the whole movie there's still that sliver of uncertainty if you paid attention to everything that happens.

I don't believe Macready is the thing. His blood test proved that and you saw him the rest of the way through the movie. Child's was missing at times at towards end. He's the Thing! Macready should have torched his ass right there at the end...that's why Mac said "let's just wait"...he was waiting for Child's to get him.
I used to think this too when I first saw the movie. MacReady went missing too when him and Nauls went to investigate the shack (one with the light on). They also find MacReady’s ripped clothes, which is usually a sign of assimilation.You never see MacReady draw his own blood for the blood test. I assume the blood he tests is from the blood storage samples that were destroyed. I personally think both Child’s and MacReady are the Thing by the end of the movie (after Child’s drinks from the J&B bottle).

Someone posted a really interesting YouTube video about how MacReady is the thing on here. In that video I never noticed how MacReady drinks from the bottle he gives Blair during Blair’s lock up. Worth a watch :)

I used to think this too when I first saw the movie. MacReady went missing too when him and Nauls went to investigate the shack (one with the light on). They also find MacReady’s ripped clothes, which is usually a sign of assimilation.You never see MacReady draw his own blood for the blood test. I assume the blood he tests is from the blood storage samples that were destroyed. I personally think both Child’s and MacReady are the Thing by the end of the movie (after Child’s drinks from the J&B bottle).

Someone posted a really interesting YouTube video about how MacReady is the thing on here. In that video I never noticed how MacReady drinks from the bottle he gives Blair during Blair’s lock up. Worth a watch :)
Why would the Thing (Macready) expose himself with a blood test if Macready was the Thing?? That Makes no sense. You saw how weird Palmer was acting as he reveals himself shortly after as a THING. Macready never acted in a manner of being threatened by his piers as a THING would do. Macready is the only one left that was not infected (drinking out a bottle doesn't cut it either). We don't get to see MAC torch Child's ass (The Thing) as the movie ends.

Why would the Thing (Macready) expose himself with a blood test if Macready was the Thing?? That Makes no sense. You saw how weird Palmer was acting as he reveals himself shortly after as a THING. Macready never acted in a manner of being threatened by his piers as a THING would do. Macready is the only one left that was not infected (drinking out a bottle doesn't cut it either). We don't get to see MAC torch Child's ass (The Thing) as the movie ends.

Check this out. This guy explains it better than I can I think 🤣

Well, I know it isn't canon to the films, but in the game for the X-Box, Childs is found froze to death on the ground, and MacCready saves you at the end of the game.

A very clever theory suggests MacReady gets himself infected in this scene:

How you ask? The J&B bottle. At the beginning of the movie while the Norwegians chase the husky, the dog creature finds it's way to outpost 31 where it jumps onto Bennings and proceeds to lick his gloves all over, that is close up shot. In the mid of skirmish Mac comes out with the uncapped bottle and hands it to Bennings, who grabs right on the top with his gloves filled with dog thing drool. The next time we see Macready drink from that bottle is when he is recording that tape and what happens right after that scene? He goes see Fuchs and asks about his findings on the thing, Fuchs tells him it replicates on a cellular level and they need to start eating from cans to be safe and then suspiciously right after someone draws Fuchs outside and he ends up dead after finding Mac's torn coveralls.

And then at the end what does Macready have? The J&B bottle which he hands over to Childs and laughs when he takes a swig, many theorized it's because the bottle is filled with gasoline and Childs just gave itself away as a thing but it could also be interpreted as an infected Mac relishing in one final victory as it gets ready to freeze and maybe one day thaw out again.

Of course the blood test should be enough proof that Mac is human but we never see him draw his own blood, and with so many people to test who is to say he didn't just sneakily swap some blood while everyone else is getting their thumb slit? Mind you I'm not saying Mac is the thing I'm just saying the film is written so cleverly and has so many details in the frames that a viewer could come up with that kind of theory, meanwhile with the prequel you can't, Kate is 100% human while with Macready even after following him the whole movie there's still that sliver of uncertainty if you paid attention to everything that happens.

Yeah - as I said (and we all know) - SOOOOOO many layers and SOOOOOO many possibilities.

The film was a totally misunderstood classic . . . genius to a level I think VERY few movies (if any) can come close to.

(* but then I'm biased - because I'm the original "thing" - and I look at it as a movie version of "this is your life" :naughty *)​

One (hopeful possibility) is that the extended production time could be an extra window for changes. Mondo listened over the sculpts and thankfully positive changes occured. If the jacket issue could be addressed I'm sure this would result in a big sales boost of Macready figures for them. If other 1/6 companies can get a brown pleather jacket made then Mondo should be able too aswell. The blue hoody included would also be a huge bonus. Please make it happen Mondo.

Back