MONDO - THE THING

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't ever play the game then haha
I did play it and read the Dark Horse comics, Carpenter has said at some point both are canon I think but I'd rather not accept that. There was also the TV show that never saw the light of day or entered production which would see both Mac and Childs frozen. Anyway speaking of the video game I would love another Thing game one day the one from 2002 on PC was a lot of fun back in the day.

I did play it and read the Dark Horse comics, Carpenter has said at some point both are canon I think but I'd rather not accept that. There was also the TV show that never saw the light of day or entered production which would see both Mac and Childs frozen. Anyway speaking of the video game I would love another Thing game one day the one from 2002 on PC was a lot of fun back in the day.
Fair, I also separate them canonically.
I would too, the game had some super interesting mechanics.

Fair, I also separate them canonically.
I would too, the game had some super interesting mechanics.
There was going to be a sequel but it was unfortunately canned, there's still concept art online of the game which shows new enemy types and even some 3d models.
1699483105499.png

1699483123146.png

1699483148456.png

I remember there was going to be a Thing inspired game a number of years ago set in an isolated Alaska town during the winter where an infection very similar to the thing would begin to spread, there was even a demo video of it but it was also cancelled. There's an indie game project called ill that seems to take inspiration from the thing too but no release date or any real info on that one yet either.

The one thing in common with all those games though seems to be that they are more similar to a zombie/Dead Space outbreak than the slow building tension and paranoia that builds from being in a group of people and not knowing who is human or not. Funnily enough Among Us is more of a Thing game than even Dead Space.

There was going to be a sequel but it was unfortunately canned, there's still concept art online of the game which shows new enemy types and even some 3d models.
View attachment 673330
View attachment 673331
View attachment 673332

I remember there was going to be a Thing inspired game a number of years ago set in an isolated Alaska town during the winter where an infection very similar to the thing would begin to spread, there was even a demo video of it but it was also cancelled. There's an indie game project called ill that seems to take inspiration from the thing too but no release date or any real info on that one yet either.

The one thing in common with all those games though seems to be that they are more similar to a zombie/Dead Space outbreak than the slow building tension and paranoia that builds from being in a group of people and not knowing who is human or not. Funnily enough Among Us is more of a Thing game than even Dead Space.
Wow, I had no idea. Thanks for sharing all of this.
Very true, among us definitely does the thing better than Deadspace.

I hated the THing 2011. CGI is why modern movies/characters are NOT memorable.

There were studies done years ago where, when CGI is shown, people tended to forget it....in essence it doesn't have a lasting affect in the human brain.

Hence practical effects are so much better and memorable.

Also many movie have too much actions set pieces. I never consider CGI action, it's just a 3D animation, not really action.

The Thing videogame on the PS2 was so difficult lol. I still haven't beaten it even though I was literally on the last level escaping the secret facility. *Sigh* I need to go back and beat that hidden gem!

As for the Mondo 1/6 MacReady figure! I am extremely torn about the whole thing *Pun Intended* It's just frustrating that they got MacReady's Jacket wrong. The highlights of this figure so far are definitely the head sculpts, the Thing Creatures, and the Flame Thrower, mainly cause the handle is a hard part to find because it has a unique one-handed trigger mechanism. DAM The price is what is killing me on this figure!

I've been debating on buying this figure for the better part of a whole week haha. I am trying to think positively about this figure because the 1/6 scale Mondo Gordon Freeman from Half-Life 2 was actually pretty decent. It especially looked far better once I repainted his head sculpt.

I think I am going to take MacReady's advice, "Why don't we just... wait here for a little while. See what happens."

kurt-russell-end-of-the-thing (1).gif

Last edited:
I keep looking at it (zooming in the photos on the site) and I just can't pull the trigger. It looks like an overpriced 1/6 Hasblow/Sideshow of old. The handgun, shotgun, and boots look cheap. The jacket being pleather and losing the blue hoodie doesn't help either. If this was priced around $150-200, it would be an easier decision. The Norris head is great, but the statue dog serves no purpose for the extra price they want on the exclusive. The head sculpt is the best part, but even then has a cheap paint look to it.
It feels like a glorified NECA figure, like one of their 8" figures with cloth outfitting. Mondo got it right for the most part and the character likeness is there, unmistakably so, but it somehow just misses the mark of feeling like a true high-end 1:6 figure that meets today's standards. It's closer to an unlicensed 3rd party attempt, or a kit bash, perhaps a little better.

I do think most of the disappointing aspects of the figure are in the jacket alone. The arms don't even fall properly to the sides with such a poorly tailored jacket. If they fix that jacket the overall presentation of the figure might improve greatly.

I understand the hesitation to pull the trigger but feel like I will buy it because this is likely to be the only proper licensed MacReady we'll ever get. A figure that has long been lacking from the 1:6 world that we're now being offered with all its shortcomings. I have the old Sideshow Snake Plissken and Jack Burton, which both have their faults and drawbacks, but I enjoy having them in my collection. This MacReady with its faults will simply join them.

It feels like a glorified NECA figure, like one of their 8" figures with cloth outfitting. Mondo got it right for the most part and the character likeness is there, unmistakably so, but it somehow just misses the mark of feeling like a true high-end 1:6 figure that meets today's standards. It's closer to an unlicensed 3rd party attempt, or a kit bash, perhaps a little better.

I do think most of the disappointing aspects of the figure are in the jacket alone. The arms don't even fall properly to the sides with such a poorly tailored jacket. If they fix that jacket the overall presentation of the figure might improve greatly.

I understand the hesitation to pull the trigger but feel like I will buy it because this is likely to be the only proper licensed MacReady we'll ever get. A figure that has long been lacking from the 1:6 world that we're now being offered with all its shortcomings. I have the old Sideshow Snake Plissken and Jack Burton, which both have their faults and drawbacks, but I enjoy having them in my collection. This MacReady with its faults will simply join them.

I have Sideshow's Snake too, always liked him and actually think he's one of their better figures from that period. Yet he always seems to draw a lot of hate.

However, I had Jack on pre-order but bailed when the production photos surfaced. Part of that was that I don't have much connection to Big Trouble in Little China.

Since the Sideshow Pale Rider arrived yesterday, which has to be one the best figures they've ever produced, I was rearranging some of my old west collection today. Among them was Asmus' Hateful Eight Hangman, which has a good older Kurt Russell sculpt.

Back to Mondo, it really is the jacket that's throwing the figure off, and making him appear lower end. If they don't fix it then I'll have to try my alternative option.

To enhance this figure I’d first replace the body as the proportions look a bit lanky and articulation looks more limited than a HT. The jacket needs to be swapped out as well as the boots, shotgun, pistol belt and pistol. Add the hoodie. And like Snake or Burton, this could use benefit from some weathering and repainting TLC.

If you have the money to spend, then by all means buy it. But the problems it has does not warrant the price tag even if it's the only 1/6 Macready we ever get. Charging $265 plus tax, should actually meet today's standards considering 1/6 scale figures are now $300 plus and them meeting our expectations for what they are charging. The blue hoodie made no sense to me why they removed it considering that scene with the norris head he has it on.
1699553618051.jpeg

The blue hoodie made no sense to me why they removed it considering that scene with the norris head he has it on. View attachment 673454
Seems pretty clear to me they are pinching pennies, and probably saving a couple bucks on manufacture per figure by taking it out. But that's the running thread here. They are doing this on the cheap but charging high end prices, and that's a big part of my reservation. If it were, say, $150 I would be more seriously considering it. But Mondo upcharges all their stuff under the umbrella of these being hip collectables. And credit to them for doing this figure at all. Criminal that a more serious 1/6 scale company like Threezero or Blitzway hasn't done this yet.

What it feels like, speculation of course, is that Mondo will release a 2nd version, with the blue hoodie, big floppy hat, detonator, etc, etc to try to get people to buy two sets to complete a full all around MacReady.

In the old days, Dragon Models took the muzzle brake off their first Barrett Light 50 anti-material rifle. If you wanted it, you needed to order through their Cyber Hobby exclusive system. However no one ever really deployed out extensively without the muzzle brake in real life. In short, they made something incomplete on a mass release retail scale to just lean on people and nickel them. There was no other reason to do it except to squeeze people.

Maybe I'm just getting too old and too salty, but if needed, raise the price, and give people a full blown all around MacReady solution. DML could nickel and dime people back in the day because the price points, relative to your buying power, was just way different over 20 years ago. Now, with these price points, which have gone exponential, it's just punitive.

.... If people think the jacket sucks, then they think it sucks.... Give the consumer what they want, and then you'll start hearing things in public that you actually prefer to listen to all the time.

( It's not lost on me that I'm replying to someone with the screen name histrionics with my own version of... well...histrionics... :lol)

Last edited:
Back